Who picked who? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Who picked who?

I haven't picked any of my animals. My first cat found me as a stray. The next cat initially ran from me and then came back and threw herself at my feet, she was a porch kitty. I think I picked my rat terrier? Maybe I'm fooling myself. I went to several shelters and just kept thinking about the tiny psycho bouncing dog that wouldn't stop running all over the room during the visit. When it came to Gunther, I really don't know how I wound up with him... it just happened. I had asked the breeder to hold a black female for me. She refused by saying that she had to get rid of the dogs now because she couldn't take care of them anymore. When I went back 3 days later with the money the female was gone and Gunther was the last black male left. He was covered in dirt and pee and stank to high heaven. I wrapped him in a towel and after stopping at the store for puppy food we went home and he got a bath. From there we were bonded for life.

I was just wondering, who really picked who in your case?

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.

"Some people never end up going crazy...what a truly terrible life they must lead." - Unknown
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know if I really picked mine...there wasn't really another option except for maybe waiting for another litter. I had put down a deposit with a breeder for a future litter as all the pups in the pregnant bitch's current litter were on hold. After they were born, Kaiju was the runt and the couple who would have gotten him decided to hold for the next litter because they didn't want a runt. So the breeder called me to come check him out and see if I would want him.

By the time I got there, it was just him and the breeder's other dogs. I think what got me really attached to him was how fast he decided that I was awesome. I came in, interacted with him a bit and then he decided he was going to shadow me everywhere. He walked basically in my footsteps, sat by my feet when I stopped, and curled up and fell asleep in my arms when I sat down, all while constantly staring at me like I was the most fun thing he's ever seen in his life.

Huh, I guess you could say he picked me
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was chosen. Much like Pax8, her eyes were on me the moment I entered the room. She came right to me and when I picked her up, I was covered in kisses. When I set her down so I could interact with all the pups, she played with her sibling but still kept an eye on me. Every time I moved, she came right back to me.

Resistance was futile.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaKay View Post
Resistance was futile.
Hehehe cute

"Some people never end up going crazy...what a truly terrible life they must lead." - Unknown
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Maddie and I chose each other. She had been languishing at a shelter for many months--too shy to make a connection with anyone. Lots of people went to see her but nobody wanted her.

I was looking for a dog to adopt, scanning pictures and rescue sites. I bet I reviewed hundreds of potential dogs. I was looking for a mixed breed at the time when I saw Maddie's picture online. I instantly knew this was my dog. There was something about the way she stared at the camera.

The next day I am buying bowls, leashes, etc at the pet store. My wife thinks I am nuts and points out that we haven't even met this dog. No, I said. That's my dog.

We went to the shelter the next day and waited on a couch. Maddie slinks in the door, ears plastered to her head, looking meek and scared. I patted my leg and called to her. She came right up to me, buried her head in my leg and then tried to climb me. We later learned that Maddie NEVER does that kind of thing--she was always very aloof.

I put a leash on her. She gave me a questioning look. I told her to heel and off we went on our first walk. She fell right in line and seemed really happy.

We took her home an hour later. The shelter staff was in tears--she had been there so long that she was running out of time.

So, we chose each other. She was my special girl. My heart dog.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jazzy I picked, there was two black and one white in the litter to choose from. I knew I wanted the white and just hoped it would be a good choice. It took a few months before we really bonded, but most of that was my fault as I was still grieving the loss of my previous dog.

Delgado technically the breeder picked for me but both of us admitted that in the end it really was him that picked me. At the 7 week visit we took all the pups and Diva outside and let them run around, he would run off and play with his siblings and then run to the breeder and I and then run off again. He kept checking back with us but there wasn't afraid to explore on his own which I liked. At the 9 week mark when I went to pick him up we stood and talked for a bit and he was running around the farm exploring, I opened the car door to get out a blanket I had and I heard that screaming yell and he came barrelling straight towards me at warp speed. The breeder started laughing, "He doesn't want you to leave without him." He is a great combination of devoted yet he can think independently

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I picked all of my animals.

I adopted 3 calico cats from a shelter, I chose them based on color and based on personality, the more wild the better.

I purchased my Ragdoll cat from a breeder, she was the smallest and she had the most color.

I chose my GSD, he was from a byb, I was strictly looking for a black male and they had 1 black male left. I wouldn't have taken him if he didn't have a personality that I liked. There were 2 other litters that were there that I could have chosen from but my little black puppy was AWESOME so I took him home and he turned out to be the best decision I ever made and the thing I love most.

I chose my Dalmatian, he was from a reputable show breeder, she had 4 puppies left but 2 of the males would have been a great choice for me. I spent time with all 4 puppies, then I spent time with the 2 puppies that could potentially be mine, then I spent one on one time with each puppy. I chose the puppy that had more interest in me, he seemed more sweet and he reminded me of his father. I took him home that night and I have never regretted my decision, I love this little guy so much, he was an excellent choice.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I picked Titan at 3 weeks old. Didn't take him home til jsut shy of 8 weeks.. just picked him out of the pile of puppies. He was big and dark. and that's all I knew I wanted. Paid the deposit and thennnn decided to research the breed, lol.

Athena was picked out for me by the breeder based on what I wanted out of her.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

I chose my guys for the most part. But Dasher definitely chose us when we went to visit his litter! I was interested in other boy they had left who was darker. But the one I thought I wanted was much more timid and shy, much too shy for a family with a young child! The other little dude was just so intently focused on us. My dissapointment that the other one wanted nothing to do with us was quickly replaced with this one acting like he was waiting for us all along. He sat right next to my feet looking up at me as we chatted. I put leash on him and walked him next to stroller he did it like a pro. Our daughter got out of stroller and he just layed next to her watching her. He just made it very clear he wanted to be with us. Once we paid for him he trotted to car and hopped right in, no hesitation.
He has been awesome in every way! He will be 7 in June and he has been everythign I could ask for. He has always been bold and confident and outgoing, yet focused and very loyal. Perfect for what we wanted!
The other two were more of me selecting from shelters based on criteria such as looks and overall temperament. I am picky and there are plenty to choose from! But they fit right in with no issues and are both perfect.
Dasher, GSD, 7 yrs
Sasha, GSD, 6 yr
Blitzen, shepX,10years
Max and Cabo, macaws
Fiji, African Hornbill
3 kitties, KitKat, Gary, Freddy
Plus the fish and chickens
onyxena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
Maddie and I chose each other. She had been languishing at a shelter for many months--too shy to make a connection with anyone. Lots of people went to see her but nobody wanted her.

I was looking for a dog to adopt, scanning pictures and rescue sites. I bet I reviewed hundreds of potential dogs. I was looking for a mixed breed at the time when I saw Maddie's picture online. I instantly knew this was my dog. There was something about the way she stared at the camera.

The next day I am buying bowls, leashes, etc at the pet store. My wife thinks I am nuts and points out that we haven't even met this dog. No, I said. That's my dog.

We went to the shelter the next day and waited on a couch. Maddie slinks in the door, ears plastered to her head, looking meek and scared. I patted my leg and called to her. She came right up to me, buried her head in my leg and then tried to climb me. We later learned that Maddie NEVER does that kind of thing--she was always very aloof.

I put a leash on her. She gave me a questioning look. I told her to heel and off we went on our first walk. She fell right in line and seemed really happy.

We took her home an hour later. The shelter staff was in tears--she had been there so long that she was running out of time.

So, we chose each other. She was my special girl. My heart dog.
That is so awesome! I always love rescue stories, but to know you literally saved a dogs life by just a few days is beautiful. Maddie is a very lucky girl to have you and your wife.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.