Questions with Male vs Female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Questions with Male vs Female

Hello everyone so I'm back with some more questions!

I was supposed to get a male german shepherd/King sheppherd
But I was talking to the people that we're getting the puppy from and they said that they only have females left.. I really want a big dog that will be proective and kind to my family but also intimidating but sweet.
I understand its all about socializing the puppy and stimulating their brains because they're so intelligent.

Do female king shepherd/german shepherds grow to male size?

I've heard females usually bond to the family but will always have the one person they go to and see as their master. I've read that females go to the males and the males go to the females. I'm female and I'm scared my puppy won't bond to me as her main master.

I've heard that females are also quicker to train?

I don't really care the gender of the dog but I want her to bond to the family and be kind. I will love her regardless of her size but I would love to know!

Any info/opinions?
Thanks
Anja
Anjazell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I've always had males but I had a female once and she bonded to me so strongly and was very protective of me and the family, so to answer your question it honestly doesn't matter the gender, as long as you show them you're their master you will grow an amazing bond!
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a male but he was most bonded to my son. Now that my son is grown and moved out he is probably most bonded to me, but he is also pretty bonded to my husband.

Are the dogs German Shepherds or King Shepherds? I looked into King Shepherds before deciding on my dog, and they scared me with hip and temperament issues. I decided to go with a German Shepherd from a good breeder instead.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

The dogs are a mix of king and german shepherd
Anjazell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think anyone can say there are across the board differences between males and females other than physical ones. Females are generally smaller, but my small female is way more intimidating than my large dopey male. She's also incredibly bonded to me (though I didn't really leave that up to chance ).
Bequavious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have owned both..

Both are sweat...But the males will
sit all day getting loved from the kids while my female
will get up when she had enough. haha..

I got a female this time as I wanted a smaller size..

Our female loves everyone....I have 4 boys.

I'm thrilled having a female.
JohnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

There are little differences between males and females but there are enough to tell the two apart.
1. Females are more of a family dog; they have an equal bond with each of the family members. Males are a one-person dog; they usually only bond with one person in the family and actually will attack another family member if he thinks they will harm the family member they bonded with.
2. Males are more aggressive towards strangers and will often bite a newcomer even though they didn't do anything wrong. Females are more cautious and will only attack a stranger when they sense fear in their owner towards that person.
3. When it comes to actually protecting you, males are the way to go. Females will protect you, but to a point. Once the female is physically hurt, she will stop attacking the stranger and cower away. For example, if your female was attacking a stranger and they hit or kicked her, she will get hurt and scared and let go. While males will only see it as a challenge keep going after the stranger.
Spencer-5 months (don't-know-color-yet GSD)
Jake-Died at 16 years (faded bi-color)
Jusdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusdy View Post
There are little differences between males and females but there are enough to tell the two apart.
1. Females are more of a family dog; they have an equal bond with each of the family members. Males are a one-person dog; they usually only bond with one person in the family and actually will attack another family member if he thinks they will harm the family member they bonded with.
2. Males are more aggressive towards strangers and will often bite a newcomer even though they didn't do anything wrong. Females are more cautious and will only attack a stranger when they sense fear in their owner towards that person.
3. When it comes to actually protecting you, males are the way to go. Females will protect you, but to a point. Once the female is physically hurt, she will stop attacking the stranger and cower away. For example, if your female was attacking a stranger and they hit or kicked her, she will get hurt and scared and let go. While males will only see it as a challenge keep going after the stranger.
yesss, I agree. Well said
Madisonmj97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

What?! I can't even begin to respond this is so wrong.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
This is all the complete opposite of my male. He is friendly or neutral toward people and certainly won't bite a newcomer. He is also bonded to the whole family, and I don't think he would protect.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.