Young adult or puppy for family - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Young adult or puppy for family

Hi. I was raised with GSDs pretty much my whole life. I have been married going on 13 yrs. and we have a human pack of our own. We moved out to 5 acres and are fencing a few acres this summer. I am due to have my own baby early June. I had originally wanted to skip the puppy stage and get an adult or juvi. I have been watching rescues and ads for the past few yrs. Kinda a hobby. After speaking to my vet and friends I am thinking with small kids in the home along with 2 indoor cats, rescues may not be a great idea. Many older dogs over a yr. it seems are being sold because the person didn't train it and I am not wanting to try to undo what the person failed to do. I do plan on having 2 GSDs. I read the thread on getting 2 puppies at a time and that idea took a quick dive. SO here are my questions.
1. What is the best way to get 2 GSD. My original idea was get 2 puppies and get through the puppy stage at once. Articles show maybe a bad idea.

2. I am not looking to show etc. I want sound, family dogs with good hips etc. that can run, play go for walks and do what a large active family does and be good at protection. I am not looking to spend $1,500 to $2000 for a dog. I am happy with a hobby breeder. I don't care about papers as much as a sound dog. I am picky with color. I want a straight back more than slope. I might need more education on this. However, It doesn't look right to me.

3. Can herd children. JOKE!

4. I guess I really want to research the heck out of this and know all I can. I want the right dog the first time. Is there a way to get a young adult without kid and cat issues? I am happy with a puppy, but at what point can I add another? Any incite would be most appreciated.

A little background. From the time I was in diapers I was tripping over a puppy. Maybe the puppy was tripping over me. We (my family growing up) have had cat killers and high drive and no drive dogs. My parents had a protection GSD shipped out with a trainer from Cali when I was 17 yrs old and that trainer worked with me for the weekend. I am now 33, so I am rusty and green. I am not afraid of work nor am I afraid of a GSD. I do though have a lot to learn and relearn. Out of high school I wanted to breed and train them for protection like Hank(parents dog) Walking that 110 GSD I felt like nothing could harm me. He was like a hairy guardian angel. lol I want to add I am a stay at home mom and will be in the home with the dogs through the day. I have a large van and can take them most places.

Last edited by mrs.campbell; 04-07-2014 at 11:49 AM.
mrs.campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.