More than one dog and puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default More than one dog and puppy

Any issues with getting a puppy when you have another dog or two in the house already? My concern is that the other two dogs being around may make the puppy "doggy" i.e. prefer dog over people and may inhibit the dog's development for protection work. The issue here is that my two older GSDs are still around, but I'd really like to move forward sooner than later with a puppy. Want to make sure impatience doesn't get the best of me and cause an issue.
badschnitzel92@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Crate
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can you say more about what you mean? I assume you mean crate up the dog so that he is not around the other two consistently?
badschnitzel92@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's not just about separating them, it's about the quality of time you get with no other dogs around. You want to make sure you have time to work on obedience, go for walks, take classes, take care rides, etc, with just one-on-one puppy time. The puppy (or new dog, if anyone is reading this and thinking of just adopting an adult) needs to learn that it's "worth it" to socialize and bond with people. If you never do independent activities, that's when you start running into trouble.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

So, given that my dogs are 11 and 9, might it be better to just wait until they pass or do you think its 'doable' without a lot of stress and hassle to get a puppy now and do what you suggest?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

It is totally doable I have three young dogs. I spend individual time with each one every day. I will crate two work on obedience with one for 15 minutes reward with play for 15 minutes then repeat two more times. When I take my dogs for walks my husband takes a dog, I take a dog, and my son takes a dog. We switch up which dog we walk as it helps build a bond with all dogs and all handlers. It is a lot of work to have three but if you love dogs and enjoy spending time it can be done!
Athena'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do love dogs, my wife doesn't, that's the problem. Maybe I should be asking where to get a dog-adoring wife on these forums! LOL
Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ha!!! Well that does make things a little more difficult, the BF isn't the most dog loving guy either, lol.

I think if you take all the right precautions, crate training, training in general, time alotted to all dogs, and are in general proavtive with it all you will be just fine.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I saw a really nice working line male yesterday and introduced myself to the owner. It was not a good way of supressing the desire for another dog.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Two dogs are a pair "three" dogs are a pack! That means a lot in dog world! It's not a desion to be taken lightly! Some good info here

Leerburg | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/4

31289-new-dog-very-challenging.html
Two or More Dogs
https://suite101.com/a/how-to-avoid-...eholds-a183736

And here note "Rank Drive" that's what caught me out!
(Elements of Temperament, by Joy Tiz )

Also no every dog for himself dash out the front door! Someone on in here pointed that one out to me...oops.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.