German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Replacement puppy red flag? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/424130-replacement-puppy-red-flag.html)

Lobobear44 03-14-2014 12:56 AM

Replacement puppy red flag?

If somebody's pup has hip dysplaysia and gives the pup back to the breeder. If the breeder reply with yes and does not replace the pup is that a red flag? If the breeder reply with no and does not get the pup back is that a red flag?
If the breeder replies with yes gets the pup back and replaces with another pup is that a red flag?

I don't see dogs replaceable at all. I see them like part of people's family. Not like a car you break a car and replace it with similar value.

boomer11 03-14-2014 01:03 AM

Not all dogs are pets. Some dogs work. If they can't perform then they get replaced.

jocoyn 03-14-2014 06:47 AM

Not everyone sees dogs the same way you do.

I have had pups who washed out of work. I managed to keep them with an eye open for a new home and would have re-homed them if a situation better for the dog came up. As is, I kept them.

I am struggling with your scenarios, though. They don't really make sense. The only red flag to me is if there is a contractual agreement that is violated.

holland 03-14-2014 10:23 AM

I don't understand your post-maybe if you look for red flags you find them

misslesleedavis1 03-14-2014 10:32 AM

Why would replacing a pup be a red flag?....I would assume issues would be outlined in the contract, i would imagine someone would make sure they read and understood the contract.

Galathiel 03-14-2014 10:53 AM

I have read some contracts which allow you to keep the current puppy (must be altered) and then replace the puppy as well. Not very commonly done, however. I can't really understand your questions as they are not laid out well, but I view red flags as something you see BEFORE you make the jump into something, not afterwards. If you are trying to learn from other people's experiences, then yes, someone not honoring their contract is a huge red flag. Not liking their contract and still buying the puppy is all on you. You don't like the contract, don't buy the dog, or just resign yourself to the fact that basically you are buying a dog without a contract if you aren't going to utilize it.

jocoyn 03-14-2014 11:05 AM

I believe the idea of putting a warranty on a puppy is an American kind of thing. You can do all you can do to make sure it turns out right but it is still a living breathing thing.

I was delighted with what my breeder did. She gave a 2 year money back warranty on genetic defects. I keep the dog. We did not have any issues.

Okin 03-14-2014 11:12 AM

My breeder had it in their warranty that if there is OFA prelims at 1 year showing HD they will replace the pup. I called him and told him that she had OFA prelims HD in one hip but I didn't want to replace the pup. He gave me back half the purchase price to cover some of the vet bills which was something he was in no way obligated to do. I felt it was very fair.

Blanketback 03-14-2014 11:17 AM

I'm not a breeder, so this is just my guess, but I think that the guarantee is in place because it's an affirmation that the breeding pair have been tested and are clear of genetic issues. Of course problems still come up, but you're never going to see people with untested dogs offering the same kind of policy. I think most of us couldn't return the puppy -I sure wouldn't be able to.

Lilie 03-14-2014 11:26 AM

Sometimes a person will want a specific type of dog because they want them to do a specific type of job. Say, a person really wants to compete in Agility or Sch. or a running partner (etc.). They save their money, research competitive lines, search for breeders, etc. They put a lot of thought and money into purchasing a puppy with the thought that they want that pup to be able to perform that job.

When that pup has a major health problem that will not allow it to perform that task, it's a blow for all involved. Some folks just can't afford to house a second (or third) dog. The buyer has a choice to either return the pup (as per breeder contract) for one that will perform the task or give up their dreams of having a pup that they wanted in the first place. Or at least for the life time of the pup.