German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Dog from breeder with undescended testicle (wasn't informed) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/420649-dog-breeder-undescended-testicle-wasnt-informed.html)

Drew Orleans 03-07-2014 11:50 AM

Dog from breeder with undescended testicle (wasn't informed)

What is proper protocol for when this occurs?

-I bought a puppy from a reputable breeder for a solid chunk of change.
-I wasn't informed of this before the puppy was shipped to me.
-It was written in medical terms on his paper that came attached to his travel crate.
-The vet informed me of it today and was pretty pissed that the breeder didn't tell me or give me some sort of discount.

I'm brand new to all of this so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Baillif 03-07-2014 11:52 AM

Id be pissed. Very very pissed

RocketDog 03-07-2014 11:52 AM

How old is the pup? They can still come down for quite awhile.

Lark 03-07-2014 11:53 AM

My dog also had an undescended testicle, and I was informed of this when I got him. I was also informed by the breeder that he would need to be neutered because of this, and when to neuter and that it would cost more. My dog was also a bit more inexpensive because of the fact that neutering would cost more. She also told me that it could descend but she wouldn't count on it.

wolfstraum 03-07-2014 11:54 AM

I always have my vet check and document testicles. A buyer should be informed, the situation discussed and given the option of whether they want a monorchid or not in my opinion....I do not believe it is ethical to sell a pup - even as a pet - without disclosing this. Often the vet can feel the second one, and it is very likely it will drop, but still should be monitored.....

Lee

Drew Orleans 03-07-2014 11:59 AM

Just over 7 weeks.

The vet is gonna check again when we bring him back in 4 weeks. I'm still pissed off though.

And this breeder has ben super awesome, helpful and straight-forward from the get go too...

Drew Orleans 03-07-2014 12:01 PM

Yeah, I don't intend on competing with him but I went to this breeder for the genetics and health of the dog. Now in less that 14 hours after I got him, I'm informed of this genetic defect.

SoCal Rebell 03-07-2014 12:05 PM

My last GSD that I bought from a breeder also had a undescended testicle but the breeder informed me of this and he was discounted down to $1,200. Waited for a while for it to descend which it never did. When it came time for neutering it is now surgery they usually find it in the abdomen, ended up costing me $700,

If I were you I would confront the breeder about not only for a discount but the costs of the neutering.

Drew Orleans 03-07-2014 12:12 PM

My thoughts as well. Just wanted a little input...

Other than this, the new puppy is freaking awesome. Still can't choose a name though.

LaRen616 03-07-2014 12:15 PM

His ball can still drop, my Vet said it can take up until they are 6 or 7 months old for the ball to drop.