Dog from breeder with undescended testicle (wasn't informed) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

*snickers at LaRen* True at that young age, it could still descend.
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

so what did the breeder say? did you express your unhappiness?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
mego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
I always have my vet check and document testicles. A buyer should be informed, the situation discussed and given the option of whether they want a monorchid or not in my opinion....I do not believe it is ethical to sell a pup - even as a pet - without disclosing this. Often the vet can feel the second one, and it is very likely it will drop, but still should be monitored.....

Lee
When I got Orick, he had one testicle, assumed the other hadn't descended. The breeder who gave him to me had rescued him at 6 months from an abusive breeder. His bloodlines are good Czech, and she was actually thinking of putting him into her breeding program since she had obtained his papers when she took him--sort of a forced acquisition. When she discovered the undescended testicle, she decided she would find him the best pet home she could. In the meantime she was involved in a serious accident with a long convalescence, and had other people helping her with her dogs, resulting in other issues with Orick, including an accidental breeding. Out of the resulting litter, two males also had undescended testicles. When I had Orick neutered it was major surgery, and all the vet found was a gnarled bit of tissue where the supposed undescended testicle was supposed to be. Strange, but it had to be genetic.

The other male in Orick's only litter, btw, already has his Sch II title, don't know where the girls are. Orick's original breeder was angry when he found out that Orick had been placed in a pet home and neutered. Shoulda thought of that when he starved, neglected and abused him! Sounds like he would have used him at stud, bad testicle and all, the fool!
Susan_GSD_mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Havoc had one testicle that had not dropped when I got him at 8 weeks. It did drop within the next month.

If the breeder knew about it they should have told you.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG2,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

You should have been told. My trainer who also raises GSD's had a pup a few years ago with an undescended testicle. She made it clear to all looking that he was a pet only pup and would be neutered. I don't think the condition is all that uncommon but a reputable breeder will let you know...and give a discount!!!
SiegersMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Agree you should have been informed, as mentioned a vet can feel to see how low it is. They typically drop by 8-10 weeks but it can go longer, chances after 16 weeks get slimmer and if they aren't decended by 6 months they are considered cryptorchid.

There has been limited success with hcg injections (testosterone) to help them decend but they have to be done before 16 weeks.
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would be upset and have the conversation with the breeder NOW. What does your contract say? It is abdominal surgery to remove an undescended testicle and you want it out if it does not come down.

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):
, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

It could still descend, but you should have been told and given the option. I have produced a few over the years and always gave the buyer the option. If the testicle did not descend I give a refund to cover the costs (reasonable costs) of the more expensive neuter. Most wait until the dog is at least 2 and then have only the retained testicle removed.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

if he is just over 7 weeks, I would say not having both testicles down isn't uncommon. They typically descend about 8 weeks + as someone mentioned above.
That could explain why the breeder didn't tell you - he is too young for them to be both expected. I would ask the breeder to find out exactly what is going on.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

My understanding is that it's not uncommon for testicles to go up & down in a young pup so it's possible the breeder didn't realize it. As others have said, talk to the breeder. Please try to NOT be upset with the breeder at this point. There's nothing to be gained & it could adversely affect future communications. Hopefully, this is someone you'll happily be in contact with for another 12-14 yrs. It's much better if it remains a friendly relationship. At this point there's really no reason that it shouldn't.
RubyTuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.