2nd dog sex..opposite or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2nd dog sex..opposite or not?

I have a 2 and a half year old Mini Australian Shepherd male dog(fixed). 1 month ago tomorrow, my 1 year old female German Shepherd was killed by a car. That being said, we are getting another puppy within the next couple months. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with 2 male dogs of different breeds? My Mini Aussie was really good with our female GSD. He never bit at her or got aggressive. He lets out kids (2,4,5) do whatever they want to him and has never shown aggression towards them or anyone else. However, he did pee on the floor when we brought our last puppy home! LOL. Anyways, we were thinking about possibly getting a male dog this time. I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience in this situation. Will bringing a dog of the same sex home as an 8 week old puppy increase the chances that the males will get along? I have had 2 female GSDs that hated each other so much that they became aggressive and had to be removed from our home after a fight that broke out causing me to be bitten. Would a male GSD act different with kids? Our female let my 2 year old daughter use her as a pillow, and she was very good at following the kids around watching them all day. I attached a picture of the GSD we had, which we miss alot. The house feels really empty without her, so we want to make a decision on a puppy soon.
Attached Thumbnails
2nd dog sex..opposite or not?-bella.jpg   2nd dog sex..opposite or not?-merlecabella.jpg  
Jmcdermit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I personally agree with opposite sexes if you only have two. Some dogs are ok with same sex pairings when one on one but why risk being one of the ones that don't, then you're potentially stuck with a lifetime of training and crating and rotating.

In the end there's no perfect recipe for matching dogs, we stack the odds in our favour as much as possible and hope for the best

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

That is what the breeder says....we will probably end up safer rather than sorry we spent 3k on a dog that won't work out!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a male GSD and a male Dalmatian. They get along great and they are 4 years apart.

I will always have multiple males, I am not a big fan of female dogs.

If your male gets along with other male dogs and you really want a male then get one.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

My breeder was ok with me getting a male GSD even though I had another male dog at the time. My older dog died, and now my male lives with yet another male dog, and it has been ok. My breeder felt her males tended to do fine living with other males, but if your breeder has already said female then I would seriously consider doing that instead.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last year when we bought Cabella, they had her dad SG1 Basko von haus Vierra and the Father of the other litter Skip vom Kottersbusch kept seperate from each other in crates when we arrived. The breeder said he cannot let them out at the same time. Even though Basko was a SCHH3 dog and Skip is fully trained and knows obedience, he said they do not get along for whatever reason. That being said, they do have videos on youtube of other male dogs that they have had playing together in their yard.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love female dogs but I will "never" do two females in the same household. Two females decide they don't like each other you got a "real" problem! (Boxer rule)

Beyond my skill set..just say No!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

We have always had only male dogs and, until we recently lost 2 dogs within a couple of months of each other had three males living under one roof. We had zero problems and they all got along with one another extremely well.

I think problems happen when each dog does not know or is unhappy with his place in the hierarchy. Our pack has always had a pretty clear hierarchy, which my wife and I have respected and tried to reinforce.

Thus, if you look at our last three dogs, we had a GSD, a Australian Border Collie mix and a Terrier mix. We had the GSD first. He was the largest dog by 20 pounds. He was the only dog that wasn't neutered. And he was my dog and got to go on hikes and other outings the other dogs didn't. There was no doubt of his place at the top of the pack.

Next dog we got was the Border Collie mix. He was a pretty mellow dog and not particularly dominant. He was also primarily my wife's dog and usually hung out with her.

Finally, we got our little terrier dog, who weighs about 30 pounds. The GSD basically adopted this dog. The terrier loved being in a pack and drew strength from the other dogs. Whenever we all went for walks together he'd strut around with his posse like he was the master of all he surveyed. Since we lost our other two dogs, he has become noticeably more insecure, particularly when we take him out into the world.

So I guess this is my long winded way of saying that multiple dogs of the same sex can definitely work, providing the hierarchy within your pack remains clear.
John C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. View Post
We have always had only male dogs and, until we recently lost 2 dogs within a couple of months of each other had three males living under one roof. We had zero problems and they all got along with one another extremely well.

I think problems happen when each dog does not know or is unhappy with his place in the hierarchy. Our pack has always had a pretty clear hierarchy, which my wife and I have respected and tried to reinforce.

Thus, if you look at our last three dogs, we had a GSD, a Australian Border Collie mix and a Terrier mix. We had the GSD first. He was the largest dog by 20 pounds. He was the only dog that wasn't neutered. And he was my dog and got to go on hikes and other outings the other dogs didn't. There was no doubt of his place at the top of the pack.

Next dog we got was the Border Collie mix. He was a pretty mellow dog and not particularly dominant. He was also primarily my wife's dog and usually hung out with her.

Finally, we got our little terrier dog, who weighs about 30 pounds. The GSD basically adopted this dog. The terrier loved being in a pack and drew strength from the other dogs. Whenever we all went for walks together he'd strut around with his posse like he was the master of all he surveyed. Since we lost our other two dogs, he has become noticeably more insecure, particularly when we take him out into the world.

So I guess this is my long winded way of saying that multiple dogs of the same sex can definitely work, providing the hierarchy within your pack remains clear.
Nice theory but it's not universally applicable! Boxer guy here, Boxer rescue policy is no other Female dogs in the home!

Yep some people could manage it "most" cannot. As I say "I" would not do multiple females and that's the advise "I" would give to someone that asked "me."
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am a firm believer in a 1 female household. My Collie, who never met a dog or person that she didn't love, couldn't get with another female on her property. We could go out anywhere and she'd love on anything two or four legged, but while she wasn't trying to destroy the other female, the visitor was certainly unwelcome.

The breeder I got Finn from would try to avoid giving a female to someone who already had an established female and wouldn't give one to someone who had an un-spayed female. I consider myself a pretty decent dog owner who can handle almost anything that rolls down the pipe, but I know I couldn't handle two females.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.