should I? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking should I?

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum, I literally joined like 10 minutes ago. Well back to the topic. I am a 15 year old boy and one of my friends is selling his german shepherds litter. She had a few but he only has 2 left, I am definitley interested in buy one. They are both females, I have always wanted a German shepherd but I have always found them too costly now we are in a better economic state. This isnt our first dog we currently have a smaller dog(male) we are unsure its breed it definitely has a bit of chihuaha cause of the similarity in size and we also have a nearly new born kittwn which was left at our door step with its siblings and it was the only survivor. I know it has major energetic and social requirements that I can definitely fulfill I am just wondering if I should purchase her. She is 12 weeks old for 150 dollars.
new_cuevas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also it is noteable to post that they are purebreeds
Old 02-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

German puppies are a handful. They stay in a puppy-like state for a long time, taking upwards of 3 years to really become the mature wonder-dogs people yearn for. I have a one year old right now and she has been binary in terms of ownership. I love her to bits one minute and the next I wish she had never stepped foot in my house. I know what she will eventually be like so I'm going to stick it out, but I am sorely tested day in and day out.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
German puppies are a handful. They stay in a puppy-like state for a long time, taking upwards of 3 years to really become the mature wonder-dogs people yearn for. I have a one year old right now and she has been binary in terms of ownership. I love her to bits one minute and the next I wish she had never stepped foot in my house. I know what she will eventually be like so I'm going to stick it out, but I am sorely tested day in and day out.
Yes I would imagine. So what do you think is it a good buy?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

all i have to say is if you really want a german shepherd you should get one from a reputable breeder. german shepherds are already a real handful to raise but if you get one with nerve issues or health issues, your life will be exponentially tougher. not to mention that 150 bucks that you thought was a good deal will turn into thousands with trainer/vet bills. i've gotten a dog from a backyard breeder and the pup didnt enhance my life whatsoever. in fact his fear aggressiveness and separation anxiety caused me more stress than a stage 5 clingy girlfriend.

if you get a well bred stable shepherd then yeah its a good buy IF you have the time and energy to raise it.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Man :\ stage 5? Thats bad aggh im definitely torn I dont know I really want to. They are purebred I dont know if that makes a difference but I hope she is not like what you have mentioned
Old 02-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

What did you do with your backyard bred gsd?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

anyone who is selling pups for 150 bucks are 99.9999% backyard breeders. reputable breeders would have their dogs health tested to make sure they are healthy. bad hips are a major problem with this breed. they would title their dogs to show that the dog has a good temperment and what a real gsd should be. an unstable dog would never be able to get titled. the best trainer in the world wouldnt have been able to title my dog.

just because a pup is from a byb doesnt mean its crap. you could get lucky and get a good dog but imo the odds are against you. but if you do get a dog with nerve issues it really can be life changing. you could look into adopting an older shepherd? that way you can gauge its temperment and not have to essentially play the lottery and hope you get lucky.

i too bought a pure bred shepherd for 300 dollar and ignorantly thought a dog is a dog, its how you train it. boy was i wrong! imo with most breeds its ok to get a dog from anywhere but with a breed that is born with natural aggression, getting a bad one is a real handful/a liability.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Man I think I will the gamble I am much more comfortable raising the pup when it is still young I dont know why I just feel like the bond Is stronger and they are not as destructive when younger so they can be trained by the time they are bigger to not be as destructive. I really dont know much this is just my theory
Old 02-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_cuevas View Post
Yes I would imagine. So what do you think is it a good buy?
Well, yeah I guess. If yer hot to trot on having a puppy 150 bux isn't bad for PB German. The thing is, the initial outlay for a German is probably the most important. Spend the dough to get a dog that traceable lines, a dog that is picked FOR you by the breeder as he/she knows their dogs. A real-deal breeder isn't making much(if any) from a dog if they sell it at 2000 dollars. They don't just let two dogs bump uglies and wait for the puppies. They import/track down/breed animals with traits that are desired, often times at hideous costs. Then nature does it's thing and hopefully and a brood of puppies with potential are soon wallowing around. The expenses don't stop there either. Shots, tests, medical exams and various certifications are expected and required.

If it were me, I'd take that 150 and start looking up rescues. Chances are most rescues will show you the door because of your age, unless your parents are on board 100%. Find an older (3+years) German that you mesh with and make a 150 dollar donation to the rescue. You get to skip the highly annoying puppy stages and have a great dog with a bit more assurance it's not a nerve-bag. After dealing with an adult German in a few years time you might want to go the breeder route if the breed complements your lifestyle. They are life-changers, so much dog to screw up or have a companion of a lifetime.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.