To "rescue" or not - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To "rescue" or not

I am looking to get a GSD. I have had them in the past. I used to import them from working lines in the Czech republic. I am not looking to import at this time I don't have the money for that! I went to an AKC show this weekend and decided I would really like to compete in obedience and later agility. I do not want to compete in the confirmation ring as I feel the AKC has some misguided standards (don't want to start any arguments here!)
So I have an opportunity to get a puppy from a family whos child is allergic. He is 12 weeks ish (not certain of his exact dob) and there is no info on the parents or registration or anything.

Now my concerns are for the hips and elbows, but even if I get from a breeder and pay $$$$$ that puppy could still have problems even if the parents have been tested, granted the chances are lessoned. Will a puppy who is going to have a straighter topline look different from an AKC angled dog at this point in his life? I am going to go looking at pictures in a min to see if I can see. I WANT a dog with a straighter topline more from a working breed tehn from an AKC show line.

Since I am not NEEDING AKC registration, I can get a PAL # to show under and I have NO intention of breeding so the puppy will be nuetered at the appropriate age. Any thoughts on "rescueing" BEFORE it is placed in a rescue?

What type of tests should I do on the pup when I meet him to make sure he will be good for the things I want to do?
Feel free to tell me I shouldn't do it too! I want to hear all opinions.
SARpup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

where did the people who have him get him from?

Topline/straight back/angulation have nothing to do with hip status, nor what the dog can do physically.

Have you met the puppy? What's he like? good focus? follow you around? interested in you? disinterested in you?

If you have no information on his background, there's not much anyone can really say as to temperament etc..If you like him, take him

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

When you say "compete," do you mean that you're aiming for advanced titles and high scores, or that you'd just like to be active in the sport with your dog for fun?

If your goal is to go all Seriously Serious about competition, then I wouldn't start with a puppy of totally unknown background.

On the other hand, if you're just in it to have fun and see how far you can go, and you like the puppy and won't be totally devastated if you end up with a loving companion rather than a sport superstar, go for it.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have absolutely NO background on him. They said they got him off craigslist. My thought on this is this...........I am not trying to be mean or anything! They live in a certain area, not the best area, they traveled about an hour to get him from where they said they got him. there are plenty of GSDs for sale closer. So they either got him real cheap or free. They took him to petsmart for his first shots and he is 12 weeks so he didn't get any shots at 8 weeks. They want $250 but she said since I am nice and am interested she would take $225.
I'm thinking more like "I'll take him off your hands since you can't keep him" But I can tell they could use the money so $100 sounds fair. Plus I have to travel an hour to get him.
I am going to be paying to neuter him, get him proper veterinary care, get him all the stuff he deserves and the training he will need.
He lives outside chained up and that breaks my heart but I am trying to not let my heart over rule common sense!I am just trying to find a puppy that needs a home not BUY one from a backyard breeder and encourage that!
WOW re reading this to check for mistakes and I sound like a jerk! I promise I am not a jerk!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sounds like a BYB dog, but you know that.Your plans are all well and good but I don't see anything about dealing with a dog that may have issues because of his background?

No you don't sound like a jerk but what you laid out is more appropriate for someone starting with a puppy and moving forward.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I feel sort of like a jerk for thinking the things I think about the situation! But I do truely have the intention of taking the best care of the dog and I think that the people made a mistake getting the dog and now want out of it and want to get money out of it. I think they should be thinking of the best interest of the puppy!
Here are the pictures I have

It is supposed to start raining in the next day or so for several days and I don't want to think of the suffering this guy is going to go through there! I just don't want to pay that much for him! I guess I am just a baddy!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh he is handsome...OK, I'll say don't be cheap! Rescues charge more because they have more overhead, good ones also check a dog out for behavioral issues and health check. That's all on you!

Most likely because they don't have time for him he has a lower chance of having PARVO!

Last edited by Chip18; 02-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Default To "rescue" or not

Okay. The brutal truth, $200 isn't much at all. If it is to you. Then you shouldn't have a dog to begin with. Dogs are expensive to maintain. What are you going to do when you get hit with a huge unexpected vet bill?

I pay roughly 80-100 a month just in food. Toys aren't cheap either. Crate. Bedding. The list goes on.

So if money is a concern then I suggest you don't do it. Just my honest opinion.

I'm up to three dogs now, looking for a fourth. So I understand how bad you want him. Just make sure you can give him what he needs and if you can I say go for it and don't hesitate another day.
nikon22shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know how much dogs are, I used to import them to the tune of $3500 for an 8 week old puppy. On the same note, that puppy had a pedigree that was well thought out, had been through all the health checks, was guaranteed against defects.
I know how much accouterments for dogs are.
I know how much proper health care costs.
I guess I just don't like back yard breeders charging what they do for pups when they don't do any of the "due diligence" They are just selling cute puppies that people want until something goes wrong and then they dump them.
I know I can give him what he needs and I feel bad for him I am just having a hard time with the whole BYB thing! I know these people are not the ones who did it But still!
I don't know what my hang up is! Maybe I'll go look at him tomorrow, any good tests I should do to check him? I want to make sure he is as mentally sound as can be under the circumstances, and as physically sound as well.
I am thinking bring a tug toy, a ball, some noisy keys, anything else?
what should I do with him and what should I look for? I am experienced but I would like to have input and advice so I can have something to fall back on when my heart takes over!!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It may be a long shot but since you want a working line have you looked at ArkAngel's threads? He rescued a WL from a bad situation, younger male, dog has some aggression issues but hasn't been eval'd by a more knowledgeable WL trainer. He's in the Bay Area, if you can travel or meet? Check out his thread in the 'urgent rescue' sub forum.....*URGENT* 21 mo old neutered male, working line, labeled "fear aggressive" MANTECA, CA

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 02-24-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.