German Shepherds Forum banner

To "rescue" or not

6K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a GSD. I have had them in the past. I used to import them from working lines in the Czech republic. I am not looking to import at this time I don't have the money for that! I went to an AKC show this weekend and decided I would really like to compete in obedience and later agility. I do not want to compete in the confirmation ring as I feel the AKC has some misguided standards (don't want to start any arguments here!)
So I have an opportunity to get a puppy from a family whos child is allergic. He is 12 weeks ish (not certain of his exact dob) and there is no info on the parents or registration or anything.

Now my concerns are for the hips and elbows, but even if I get from a breeder and pay $$$$$ that puppy could still have problems even if the parents have been tested, granted the chances are lessoned. Will a puppy who is going to have a straighter topline look different from an AKC angled dog at this point in his life? I am going to go looking at pictures in a min to see if I can see. I WANT a dog with a straighter topline more from a working breed tehn from an AKC show line.

Since I am not NEEDING AKC registration, I can get a PAL # to show under and I have NO intention of breeding so the puppy will be nuetered at the appropriate age. Any thoughts on "rescueing" BEFORE it is placed in a rescue?

What type of tests should I do on the pup when I meet him to make sure he will be good for the things I want to do?
Feel free to tell me I shouldn't do it too! I want to hear all opinions.

See less See more
#2 ·
where did the people who have him get him from?

Topline/straight back/angulation have nothing to do with hip status, nor what the dog can do physically.

Have you met the puppy? What's he like? good focus? follow you around? interested in you? disinterested in you?

If you have no information on his background, there's not much anyone can really say as to temperament etc..If you like him, take him:)

#3 ·
When you say "compete," do you mean that you're aiming for advanced titles and high scores, or that you'd just like to be active in the sport with your dog for fun?

If your goal is to go all Seriously Serious about competition, then I wouldn't start with a puppy of totally unknown background.

On the other hand, if you're just in it to have fun and see how far you can go, and you like the puppy and won't be totally devastated if you end up with a loving companion rather than a sport superstar, go for it.

#4 ·
I have absolutely NO background on him. They said they got him off craigslist. My thought on this is this...........I am not trying to be mean or anything! They live in a certain area, not the best area, they traveled about an hour to get him from where they said they got him. there are plenty of GSDs for sale closer. So they either got him real cheap or free. They took him to petsmart for his first shots and he is 12 weeks so he didn't get any shots at 8 weeks. They want $250 but she said since I am nice and am interested she would take $225.
I'm thinking more like "I'll take him off your hands since you can't keep him" But I can tell they could use the money so $100 sounds fair. Plus I have to travel an hour to get him.
I am going to be paying to neuter him, get him proper veterinary care, get him all the stuff he deserves and the training he will need.
He lives outside chained up and that breaks my heart but I am trying to not let my heart over rule common sense!I am just trying to find a puppy that needs a home not BUY one from a backyard breeder and encourage that!
WOW re reading this to check for mistakes and I sound like a jerk! I promise I am not a jerk!

#5 ·
Sounds like a BYB dog, but you know that.Your plans are all well and good but I don't see anything about dealing with a dog that may have issues because of his background?

No you don't sound like a jerk but what you laid out is more appropriate for someone starting with a puppy and moving forward.

#6 ·
I feel sort of like a jerk for thinking the things I think about the situation! But I do truely have the intention of taking the best care of the dog and I think that the people made a mistake getting the dog and now want out of it and want to get money out of it. I think they should be thinking of the best interest of the puppy!
Here are the pictures I have

It is supposed to start raining in the next day or so for several days and I don't want to think of the suffering this guy is going to go through there! I just don't want to pay that much for him! I guess I am just a baddy!

#8 ·
Okay. The brutal truth, $200 isn't much at all. If it is to you. Then you shouldn't have a dog to begin with. Dogs are expensive to maintain. What are you going to do when you get hit with a huge unexpected vet bill?

I pay roughly 80-100 a month just in food. Toys aren't cheap either. Crate. Bedding. The list goes on.

So if money is a concern then I suggest you don't do it. Just my honest opinion.

I'm up to three dogs now, looking for a fourth. So I understand how bad you want him. Just make sure you can give him what he needs and if you can I say go for it and don't hesitate another day.

#9 ·
I know how much dogs are, I used to import them to the tune of $3500 for an 8 week old puppy. On the same note, that puppy had a pedigree that was well thought out, had been through all the health checks, was guaranteed against defects.
I know how much accouterments for dogs are.
I know how much proper health care costs.
I guess I just don't like back yard breeders charging what they do for pups when they don't do any of the "due diligence" They are just selling cute puppies that people want until something goes wrong and then they dump them.
I know I can give him what he needs and I feel bad for him I am just having a hard time with the whole BYB thing! I know these people are not the ones who did it But still!
I don't know what my hang up is! Maybe I'll go look at him tomorrow, any good tests I should do to check him? I want to make sure he is as mentally sound as can be under the circumstances, and as physically sound as well.
I am thinking bring a tug toy, a ball, some noisy keys, anything else?
what should I do with him and what should I look for? I am experienced but I would like to have input and advice so I can have something to fall back on when my heart takes over!!

#10 · (Edited)
It may be a long shot but since you want a working line have you looked at ArkAngel's threads? He rescued a WL from a bad situation, younger male, dog has some aggression issues but hasn't been eval'd by a more knowledgeable WL trainer. He's in the Bay Area, if you can travel or meet? Check out his thread in the 'urgent rescue' sub forum.....http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...fear-aggressive-manteca-ca-2.html#post5080578

#11 ·
I would probably take him for a walk off of the property to see how he is away from the normal area. I want to see a confident puppy. See how interested he is in food and toys. That will make training significantly easier. See if he will play with you at all. I would not want a shy, reserved or spooky puppy. Obviously you will need to guess at his heath to a certain extent unless you want to take him to a vet local to the owner. The 12 week vaccine is not a problem. Do one more after 16 weeks. This is a rescue so treat it like a rescue evaluation. There are often unknowns. Lead with your head and not your heart when making a decision. If he is what you want than you can take a chance and offer them the $200. They might come down. If not you will have to decide if he is enough what you want for the extra $25.

#22 ·
I would probably take him for a walk off of the property to see how he is away from the normal area. I want to see a confident puppy. See how interested he is in food and toys. That will make training significantly easier. See if he will play with you at all. I would not want a shy, reserved or spooky puppy.
My concern with this pup is looking at the pictures, there are all sorts of things that pup could easily get into - all within reach of where it's chained. A plastic bag full of cans, and umbrella etc. I can't think of one puppy I've ever had that wouldn't tear those things up in a heart beat. Yet, that pup leaves them alone.

#13 ·
Yeah ZoeD you are no help!! Thanks!!
That's the problem, he is a cutie and I KNOW my heart is going to fall for him!
Ihczth......... thanks for the advice, that is what I am looking for, just need my memory refreshed as to what I need to do to properly eval and not fall in love yet! Good call on taking him out.
We shall see, I am still not set on going to see him, doing my research to try and be prepared.

#15 ·
I was reading some posts last night about not getting puppies after eight weeks because it is less likely they will bond with you and they have already missed the golden window of opportunity for imprinting behaviors and stuff. This guy was supposedly born late November so that puts him between 12 and 14 weeks old. Any thoughts on this before I go look at him?

#16 ·
12 weeks? LOL -- I recently had a 10 *YEAR* old GSD in rescue bond as hard and deeply with her adopter as any dog I've ever known. She won the lottery in her senior years, after a bad youth, and she knows it. Shadow to her people--check. Attentive and biddable--check. Emotionally connected to her people--check. She thinks her family hung the sun, moon, and stars and would do anything for them. When they bond, they bond deeply, even as fully grown adults. I wouldn't worry about a young puppy being too old.

#21 ·
12 weeks? LOL
Amen to that. ;)

Twelve weeks is still very young. A sociable dog will have absolutely no trouble bonding with you. Twelve weeks, fourteen weeks, two years, six years, it doesn't matter. If the dog has an affiliative nature, the bond will happen. If it doesn't, the age doesn't matter.

#18 ·
We adopted Warden from a similar situation. He was 5 months, no real background info, but he's got papers. kept in an apartment by nice people who didn't have time. We met him and observed him and he was perfect for us. He was unsocialized, but upon meeting him we knew it wasn't anything we couldn't handle. He was worth the $500 the owners required for him.

I'll just say that he's the best dog I've ever had, very deeply bonded, focused, and driven. He graduated the advanced off-leash obedience program at our training club after 9 weeks and we are now looking at Schutzhund for fun.

I say meet the dog. I think you'll know after if you really want him!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#19 ·
Our friends got a puppy at 8 months old....the week after they got him everyone was out on the boat. Their daughter jumped over the side....the dog followed...he swam around her and would not leave her side....the dog has not only bonded with them, but with our family as well...it was a week tops...I don't think you would have a problem, but I am no expert just voicing what I have witnessed.

The puppy is so cute and looks like be needs someone to make him happy. I can't imagine chaining a puppy...well...a big dog either...but he looks bored and lonely.

Good luck making your decision.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#23 ·
RESCUE, RESCUE, RESCUE. I rescued my boy and knew not one single thing about GSD's. You can look at my profile for pictures to see his progression, but the short story is that Jericho was from a backyard breeder (most likely) and was abused, discarded, and ended up in the local shelter where I fostered and adopted him. It was the best decision I have ever made. He is brilliant, healthy, and is catching on to agility beautifully. We are hoping to compete in trials this summer. If pedigree is not something you need. I totally think you should rescue. You would be helping the family that needs to rehome their pet. I think we can all agree that it would be ideal to rehome the dog to someone who can help the little guy be the best pup he/she can be and understands the breed. It sounds like you are the perfect match for this dog. I think that you are right in that health problems can arise in a dog from even the best of bloodlines. We just deal with what we are faced with and make the best decision we can for the situation and our pet. I might have mentioned it before but....RESCUE! That's my two cents on the subject.

#24 ·
Lilie......Those pictures were taken a few days ago and he had just gotten there, they say they got him on wednesday and got his shots on saturday at petsmart at the half price shot clinic and now they need to find him a new home. Here is the picture of the shots she said she got but I can't see the whole thing so don't know for sure it is from him!

she is not being negotiable at all! I really do want to go help him but this woman is not helping me! I know the price is not a bad one and I know I can afford it I just don't know! I have to drive an hour to go see him and check if he will even be good for me, then drive back in the traffic maybe with a puppy!
I sort of like the fact that he is a little older, he will have more bladder control then an 8 week old!!!
I just don't know!! I guess I'll go do dishes or something and wait for her reply to my request to come test him out. If she wont let me test him outside of her fenced area I think I'll have to pass.

#27 ·
Now the woman says she is going to keep him even though she was adamant that he had to go because of her little daughters allergies. "My daughter doesn't want him to go" she says.
I told her good luck and to make sure she knew what she was getting into keeping a GSD. He needs to be exercised everyday and trained properly. I feel bad for the poor guy, it is getting ready to pour down rain for the next 4 days!

#28 ·
So I have an opportunity to get a puppy from a family whos child is allergic. He is 12 weeks ish (not certain of his exact dob) and there is no info on the parents or registration or anything.

xxxxxxxx

do you think this dog had a lot of exposure to the persons child, or has he been living beside the garbage bin tied up .
why has the person not returned to the breeder?
at least get a phone number so that you can contact the breeder and ask them some questions

dogs do get stolen -- I don't like things being vague . a lot of red flags here

now she has shown you the sorry , dejected looking puppy and may end up asking for more $$$ because they know you are concerned and kind hearted to save the dog.

we had someone in the neighbourhood that did this kind of thing repeatedly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.