What is the best age to add a second GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is the best age to add a second GSD

I would love to add another GSD to our home. My current one is 14 months old, what age do you think would be best to add another? I am thinking around 2 years but would like to get opinions of people that have had multi-dog homes!
Okin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd wait a little longer, personally, for a few reasons. First, I don't want two senior dogs at the same time- so much money for health problems, and so much heartbreak all at once.

The general rule of thumb is when the first dog is mature and training is down pat- no issues needing to be resolved, etc. Your dog is still pretty much a puppy, so you'll have two really high energy, high maintenance pups on your hands.

We just added a second dog, my male is four and I'm just now reaching the point where there's nothing I have to worry about training/behavior-wise with him.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lola was around 2 and 1/2 when we added Harry - she was wonderful with him, she would have made a brilliant mum.

It depends on your current dog, is he/she good with puppies, little dogs, other dogs in general?

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't add a second dog until or unless you're dog is solidly trained.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Having dog #1 solid trained makes training dog #2 soooo much easier!!!

Example; Dog #1 has a solid recall. You and Dog #1 and new pup are out playing off leash at the park. They get a bit too far from you and you call to them. Dog #1 comes back like a shot. Pup comes abounding too, mostly because it's following #1 Dog. Pup never really gets a chance to realize it could fail a recall. It just never does.

#1 Dog is quiet an well behaved around strangers. Pup learns from #1 Dog that there isn't anything to be concerned with when a new person comes around.

#1 Dog never gets in the trash. Pup learns the trash can is all his for the taking.....oh wait, that was just at my house.....
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Having dog #1 solid trained makes training dog #2 soooo much easier!!!

Example; Dog #1 has a solid recall. You and Dog #1 and new pup are out playing off leash at the park. They get a bit too far from you and you call to them. Dog #1 comes back like a shot. Pup comes abounding too, mostly because it's following #1 Dog. Pup never really gets a chance to realize it could fail a recall. It just never does.

#1 Dog is quiet an well behaved around strangers. Pup learns from #1 Dog that there isn't anything to be concerned with when a new person comes around.

#1 Dog never gets in the trash. Pup learns the trash can is all his for the taking.....oh wait, that was just at my house.....
This! Having Echo teach Delta manners is sooooooo nice. He's my shadow, be it in public or at home, so she learns that that's just how things are.

Any sort of negative behavior the first dog does... chances are high the young'un will too.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with the above, AND, not getting them to close in age, as you'll end up with two seniors and lose both of them close together.

Been there done that, TWICE, now it's probably going to be a third time. Just put down my 13 year old aussie, and I have a 14 yr old aussie that is still doing pretty good, but I can see the day coming

Masi will be 6 in a couple months, and anytime from now onward, is when I'll think about adding another puppy.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

JMO.

When your first dog is at least 2 years old, is where you want to be training wise, you are mentally, physically and financially ready for another dog.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

We're contemplating this year...Tess will be three. She'll definitely be a good example for a pup to follow.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I like to have the first dog fully mature and advanced in their training before adding in another. I prefer 4 years between dogs though it hasn't always worked out that way. Right now I have dogs that will be 11, 10, 5, 3 and 1 this year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.