German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   What is the best age to add a second GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/415610-what-best-age-add-second-gsd.html)

Okin 02-24-2014 03:42 PM

What is the best age to add a second GSD

I would love to add another GSD to our home. My current one is 14 months old, what age do you think would be best to add another? I am thinking around 2 years but would like to get opinions of people that have had multi-dog homes!

LoveEcho 02-24-2014 03:55 PM

I'd wait a little longer, personally, for a few reasons. First, I don't want two senior dogs at the same time- so much money for health problems, and so much heartbreak all at once.

The general rule of thumb is when the first dog is mature and training is down pat- no issues needing to be resolved, etc. Your dog is still pretty much a puppy, so you'll have two really high energy, high maintenance pups on your hands.

We just added a second dog, my male is four and I'm just now reaching the point where there's nothing I have to worry about training/behavior-wise with him.

Harry and Lola 02-24-2014 05:04 PM

Lola was around 2 and 1/2 when we added Harry - she was wonderful with him, she would have made a brilliant mum.

It depends on your current dog, is he/she good with puppies, little dogs, other dogs in general?

zyppi 02-24-2014 05:08 PM

Don't add a second dog until or unless you're dog is solidly trained.

Lilie 02-24-2014 05:13 PM

Having dog #1 solid trained makes training dog #2 soooo much easier!!!

Example; Dog #1 has a solid recall. You and Dog #1 and new pup are out playing off leash at the park. They get a bit too far from you and you call to them. Dog #1 comes back like a shot. Pup comes abounding too, mostly because it's following #1 Dog. Pup never really gets a chance to realize it could fail a recall. It just never does.

#1 Dog is quiet an well behaved around strangers. Pup learns from #1 Dog that there isn't anything to be concerned with when a new person comes around.

#1 Dog never gets in the trash. Pup learns the trash can is all his for the taking.....oh wait, that was just at my house.....

LoveEcho 02-24-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5079530)
Having dog #1 solid trained makes training dog #2 soooo much easier!!!

Example; Dog #1 has a solid recall. You and Dog #1 and new pup are out playing off leash at the park. They get a bit too far from you and you call to them. Dog #1 comes back like a shot. Pup comes abounding too, mostly because it's following #1 Dog. Pup never really gets a chance to realize it could fail a recall. It just never does.

#1 Dog is quiet an well behaved around strangers. Pup learns from #1 Dog that there isn't anything to be concerned with when a new person comes around.

#1 Dog never gets in the trash. Pup learns the trash can is all his for the taking.....oh wait, that was just at my house.....

This! Having Echo teach Delta manners is sooooooo nice. He's my shadow, be it in public or at home, so she learns that that's just how things are.

Any sort of negative behavior the first dog does... chances are high the young'un will too.

JakodaCD OA 02-24-2014 06:08 PM

I agree with the above, AND, not getting them to close in age, as you'll end up with two seniors and lose both of them close together.

Been there done that, TWICE, now it's probably going to be a third time. Just put down my 13 year old aussie, and I have a 14 yr old aussie that is still doing pretty good, but I can see the day coming:(

Masi will be 6 in a couple months, and anytime from now onward, is when I\'ll think about adding another puppy.

LaRen616 02-24-2014 06:16 PM

JMO.

When your first dog is at least 2 years old, is where you want to be training wise, you are mentally, physically and financially ready for another dog.

ksotto333 02-24-2014 06:37 PM

We\'re contemplating this year...Tess will be three. She\'ll definitely be a good example for a pup to follow.

lhczth 02-24-2014 10:26 PM

I like to have the first dog fully mature and advanced in their training before adding in another. I prefer 4 years between dogs though it hasn\'t always worked out that way. Right now I have dogs that will be 11, 10, 5, 3 and 1 this year.