German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Gender differences ? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/411130-gender-differences.html)

Mocha 02-14-2014 06:35 PM

Gender differences ?

Just wanted to start a fun question that I've always wondered.

Does anyone have a gender preference in GSDs ? If you do, which gender and why ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sp00ks 02-14-2014 06:55 PM

We have always owned females until our current pup so the jury is still out. So far we are enjoying him just as much as previous females.

llombardo 02-14-2014 07:13 PM

No preference, but I will only own 1 female GSD at a time. My experience is that females are more serious and males are more fun loving free spirited.

Susan_GSD_mom 02-14-2014 07:52 PM

Have owned both, and loved both equally. That being said, the boys are just more affectionate, sillier, and need more attention. The girls are affectionate, but on their terms and only when THEY want it, and they are good at letting you know when enough is enough.

Hmmmm... Does all this sound familiar?

Mocha 02-14-2014 07:53 PM

When my dog had puppies a looooong time ago, I just remember the amount of people who asked for males but would take either, and at the same time, there were people who ONLY wanted a female. Would not consider a male.

I thought it was interesting. I've read a lot about how some argue females are more pack oriented, where as males are more environment orientated.

My male is only 7 months old so the jury is still out with me too:cool:

However, I would have to say my female seems to have a more of "I will do anything for you mom no matter what" attitude, where as my male is more of "I will do anything for you mom if you have a delicious hot dog tid bit in your hand":D

Susan_GSD_mom 02-14-2014 07:56 PM

I'd like to hear from some of the guys here... My observation has been that often women's "heart and soul" dogs are males, while men's heart dogs are females. Any truth to this?

Shaolin 02-14-2014 07:57 PM

I prefer males over females. I've not met many females that aren't super serious and fiercely independent. I like the care free and fun attitude that the males generally have. I would also never own two females at once. I wouldn't want that particular hassle.

Mocha 02-14-2014 07:59 PM

Two females at once: Does this get sticky ?

This time next year I plan on adding another female to my home, making one male and two females.

This sound like a bad plan?

Mocha 02-14-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom (Post 5023162)
I'd like to hear from some of the guys here... My observation has been that often women's "heart and soul" dogs are males, while men's heart dogs are females. Any truth to this?

I can't say I've seen a lot of this with shepherds but I have seen a lot of it at the dog park! A lot of men seem to have female dogs

lhczth 02-14-2014 08:15 PM

Only bitches in this house. ;)