Actually doing something with your WL dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Actually doing something with your WL dog

Just a curiosity thread as I just finished reading the "Working line as a family dog" thread.

How many people find themselves in that position with a WL dog? Buy one with great intentions and then it all fizzles out...

Ive been very open on here. Im a drop dead novice and learning as fast as I can...one of my main concerns was becoming one of 'those people' who got a fabulous dog and then did nothing with it. I seriously hope Im not as Im partly getting a dog just so I have a hobby IE: dog sport of some sort (Im still a little ADHD as far as what I want to do...everything from flyball to French Ring at this point) and I very much want a sidekick to do the stuff that Im already doing alone with IE hiking/running etc.

Just wondering if there are a lot of people here who have purchased WL puppies with that intent and then ended up with straight pets and couch potato dogs. Or, as previously stated, the once a week hobby type dog?
meldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I did it on accident. Bought a dog for SAR, she did not work out. Now have an active pet. She has drive, energy, attitude. I have done other things with her, NoseWorks, obedience and stuff. She is not a couch potato. I am constantly thinking of ways to wear her out. Which is hard, because I have a new puppy and a working SAR dog. But we do it!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Cyra was a WL that did not work out because she developed hip dysplasia and became a pet; she was nearly operational as a SAR dog when we found out after she started limping and we had her x-rayed.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I'm actually more of the opposite. We're what I'd consider an active pet home, and our dogs have always been bought with goal of being good companions first and foremost, so being easy to live with is a primary requirement.

That being said, I knew I wanted to do something fun with Halo, in particular, although not Schutzhund. I was thinking flyball and/or agility, and as it turns out, I took a flyball class first. She excelled, and we never did end up taking any agility classes. She's been racing in flyball for almost two years and loving it!

Even if you "just" end up with a running or hiking partner, or you dabble in a sport or two for fun but not seriously enough to actually compete, I don't see that as a waste. I'm sure Halo would do well in many things that I'll probably never try, but we have a great time doing other things instead.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I'm actually more of the opposite. We're what I'd consider an active pet home, and our dogs have always been bought with goal of being good companions first and foremost, so being easy to live with is a primary requirement.

That being said, I knew I wanted to do something fun with Halo, in particular, although not Schutzhund. I was thinking flyball and/or agility, and as it turns out, I took a flyball class first. She excelled, and we never did end up taking any agility classes. She's been racing in flyball for almost two years and loving it!

Even if you "just" end up with a running or hiking partner, or you dabble in a sport or two for fun but not seriously enough to actually compete, I don't see that as a waste. I'm sure Halo would do well in many things that I'll probably never try, but we have a great time doing other things instead.

Finding a breeder that consistently produced good companions was my first goal as your mentality is the same as mine. I want to be able to live WITH my dog and have a dog that can handle living WITH me.

Im eager to check out flyball!! I know a woman here (who helped me immensely!) who is doing flyball and agility with her GSD. I believe she is the only local GSD doing either sport =)

Obviously Halo is ok with the amount of work she is doing =) That was sort of what I was wondering =)
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I'm one of those people who has a fabulous dog, his potential far outweighs my handling skills or so I've been told but I have lofty goals for myself so we'll see..haha. He was purchased as an IPO dog and that's exactly what I've been doing with him, club training once a week but we do a little bit of training on a daily basis.

Even if something happened and he became a straight pet (he's still a pretty big pet) I don't think he'd ever be a couch potato as he's way too much dog to be content just laying around.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Oh, definitely try flyball! GSDs are very under-represented in the sport. There's only one other in the entire region, which covers the state of California, and it's in the Southern part of the state so, usually Halo is the only GSD at the tournaments we've been in.

Halo works hard, plays hard, and sleeps hard. She has an excellent off switch, which is very important. At flyball practice and tournaments she's the only dog in our club that's in a soft crate, and she lays there calmly without a peep until we get on the field or in the ring. Then she screams like a chimpanzee!!! She's also somehow managed to change the "no dogs on the couch" rule that was in effect for over 20 years, lol.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
I'm one of those people who has a fabulous dog, his potential far outweighs my handling skills or so I've been told but I have lofty goals for myself so we'll see..haha. He was purchased as an IPO dog and that's exactly what I've been doing with him, club training once a week but we do a little bit of training on a daily basis.

Even if something happened and he became a straight pet (he's still a pretty big pet) I don't think he'd ever be a couch potato as he's way too much dog to be content just laying around.

So assume, for arguments sake, that something awful happened and you were unable to continue to compete. What would be the plan then? Could he handle being a pet or would your goals just change?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Oh, definitely try flyball! GSDs are very under-represented in the sport. There's only one other in the entire region, which covers the state of California, and it's in the Southern part of the state so, usually Halo is the only GSD at the tournaments we've been in.

Halo works hard, plays hard, and sleeps hard. She has an excellent off switch, which is very important. At flyball practice and tournaments she's the only dog in our club that's in a soft crate, and she lays there calmly without a peep until we get on the field or in the ring. Then she screams like a chimpanzee!!! She's also somehow managed to change the "no dogs on the couch" rule that was in effect for over 20 years, lol.
hahaha! my dog will likely end up changing all the rules I think I have in place too (my cat certainly runs the house now >.<)

Im mostly interested in French Ring right now...but Im brand new so I don't know how reasonable it is for a beginner to leap into a sport that is so involved. IPO would be next on the list.

I started out interested in only obedience and tracking. Bite work scared me. Then I started talking to people doing schutzhund and found out how disciplined it was. How much work it takes. I love the challenge of it. The obedience interested me more than having a dog with the ability to bring a grown man to the ground....if that makes sense? Having a dog trained that intricately is a concept I like. More than the action itself (which still kinda scares me) It's hard to explain I guess...

Im glad that most dogs can handle just running/hiking and that if I fall back to that position it's not the end of the world.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

If a dog is happy, active, and healthy in body and mind, I don't think that having a WL "pet" is a waste at all.

I'm lucky that Ward is content with a couple long walks and some play for the days that I'm not able to be home a lot, but I also think he has a lot of potential for sport because of his personality, so I'm researching some clubs in my area. I think it'd be fun for both of us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.