Actually doing something with your WL dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Halo could definitely handle just being a pet. Or, I could continue to bring her to flyball and have someone else run her, which happens all the time.

I actually broke my foot at the end of August last year and was in a boot for 8 weeks. I did skip practice for the first 4 weeks, but then I started going again. There was someone who would have run her for me if I needed her to, but I was able to do most everything with modifications, so I ended up just running her myself. I skipped one tournament because I couldn't catch her on the tug wearing the boot since that requires running. At practice I'd just let her grab it as she ran by, then circle back to tug with me, which I can do on an open field, but not something I'd want to do at a tournament, which is much more congested in the runback area.

She has siblings and half siblings that compete in Schutzhund, one littermate is doing SAR, and two half siblings are working K9s. Her sire is a tracking machine: H'Doc vom Rex Lupus
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well…since you’ve quoted me I just want to clear something up.

It’s not so much about doing sports or trialing/showing. It’s about doing SOMETHING with your dog. Even two 30 minute walks, or just taking a ball and playing fetch in the back yard a few times a week. Sure…obedience is important, but I don’t care if you “prove” it in a trial setting, just that you do it and you give your dog an outlet for its drive and energy. Hiking, biking, going places, anything. Just understanding that the dog needs attention. And all dogs need attention, no matter what breed or line. But WL dogs tend to need a little bit more and aren’t just content laying on the couch like some other breeds or lines or specific dogs are. I believe SL dogs need the same type of attention and work, but overall probably need just a tad less than your average WL.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldy View Post
So assume, for arguments sake, that something awful happened and you were unable to continue to compete. What would be the plan then? Could he handle being a pet or would your goals just change?
He could totally handle being a pet, he's a pet first anyway. He's infused with a bit of crazy and is very drivey, still trying to figure out his off switch and how to settle in the house but he's young so that will probably change as he matures.

As long as we're doing something that involves the two of us, he'd be happy but without a doubt I'd have to keep him active both mentally and physically if that's possible.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I bought Titan not knowing he was WL.. When I learned.. I still wanted just a pet, a companion, maybe agility but nothing serious. a few years ago, we fell into a SAR team in Germany then found another in FL where I got stationed next. Fell in love with the work and Titan thoroughly enjoyed it too. Most recently we learned he may not be a good candidate and he may end up as "just a pet." That being said. I'm still not disappointed about that (anymore).. it just means he is a very active pet that needs a lot of physical exercise and mental stimulation. No biggy there. They don't know the difference between "real" work and just exercise. They do what they do because it's in them to run, to fetch, to jump, agility, etc, whatever you have them do. I can assure you that a dog with drive, will not be a couch potato.. they will always want to do SOMETHING. Lol.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Location: From England but have been living in New Zealand for 7 years

My dogs "job" is being good pets, they have to join me when I ride my horses, go for a walk, go running, clean my paddock or just sit and watch TV. They sometimes have to spend the day alone when DH and I are both at work. In return for them doing their "job" as pets I take them to the river and the beach sometimes and I join them! My (doesn't realize quite how beautiful she is) 14 year old daughter has recently started running alone in the afternoons. I make her take one of the dogs with her. They are both hopeless guard dogs, but they look the part and that gives me peace of mind. I do obedience with the GSD, but no competitions, just as an occasional hobby.

I guess that makes me an owner whose dogs don't reach their potential, but they are healthy, mentally and physically, they are loved by the whole family and they do their job of enhancing our lives superbly well!
"Rangi" and "Isis", horses 8 and 4 years
"Comrie" and "Mouse" cats 8 and 3 years

Still missing "Oscar" the most faithful dalmatian 01/02/02 - 16/03/12
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sorry Martemchik...Im not sure where I quoted you but I certainly meant no offence =(

Was just curious as the whole issue in the other thread seemed very related to decently bred dogs. This thread was more to clear up my own curiosity on the matter on how dogs and owners that didn't compete or 'go hard' handled it. Im confident in the breeding of the puppy I am getting this year....just not rock solid in what I want to do yet and that nagging 'what if I do nothing" doubt is always present.
meldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie W View Post
I guess that makes me an owner whose dogs don't reach their potential, but they are healthy, mentally and physically, they are loved by the whole family and they do their job of enhancing our lives superbly well!
I don't think this was ever the issue and it certainly wasn't my question. The mentally healthy was where my question was headed as the other thread almost sounds like without work, mental health might be an impossibility.
meldy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Sorry Martemchik...Im not sure where I quoted you but I certainly meant no offence =(

Was just curious as the whole issue in the other thread seemed very related to decently bred dogs. This thread was more to clear up my own curiosity on the matter on how dogs and owners that didn't compete or 'go hard' handled it. Im confident in the breeding of the puppy I am getting this year....just not rock solid in what I want to do yet and that nagging 'what if I do nothing" doubt is always present.
I didn't take it offensively at all. I actually really like this thread and this type of discussion.

I'm sure your future dog will be great, its just all about being a responsible owner. Doing anything with your dog and understanding that its not just a piece of furniture or a stuffed animal. I by no means expect everyone in this world to be working their dogs the way many of us do, but I do expect you to know that the dog does need a certain level of attention. Nothing is an extreme term. I look at nothing as, feed dog, let it out, let it in, sit on couch, if it comes to you with a toy you yell at it and tell it to go away, repeat.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my dog's primary role is personal protection/deterrence. I do sport when I can for fun and b/c thats where the helpers I have available to me are. even if I never trialed again, it doesn't mean they aren't working anymore. My male was used in a security role at a place of business just yesterday at their request.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Im confident in the breeding of the puppy I am getting this year....just not rock solid in what I want to do yet and that nagging 'what if I do nothing" doubt is always present.
Have you discussed that with your breeder? It's probably more common than you think. I remember when we were trying to decide if we should get Halo or not, someone, (might have even been her breeder), told me that things happen, people don't always end up doing what they plan to do, and the dogs need to be adaptable.

The most hard core puppies in the litter would probably go to hard core people who are already competing seriously anyway, and if you're clear about wanting a puppy who CAN do the sports you're interested in, but also has a good off switch and could adapt to an active companion lifestyle if things don't work out the way you expect, you should be fine. The more information about you and the kind of lifestyle you can provide for a dog, the better the breeder will be able to match you up with the right puppy.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.