German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Temperament Test? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/407306-temperament-test.html)

Redux 02-06-2014 02:09 AM

Temperament Test?

Ok, I didn't know what a test was before today watching YouTube. I just thought the breeder looked at their ears or something. So, do all breeders test these puppies buy testing them in certain categories? Just curious?

Sp00ks 02-06-2014 07:15 AM

I can't say all breeders do this... There are a few different test philosophies. Our breeder didn't follow any of these but used her own temperament testing based on experience. She places her dogs to make sure the right dog goes to the right home. We told her what we were after, didn't care male or female and didn't care what color. She nailed it, we couldn't ask for a better pup. He is exactly what we were looking for.

I hope that helped.

Wild Wolf 02-06-2014 10:40 AM

Each breeder typically has their own way of "temperament testing" a puppy, some backyard breeders don't do any temperament testing at all and just let people come buy pups on the spot.

A reputable breeder performs a temperament test to evaluate each puppy and place it in the home is it most suitable for. It is a vital step in the puppy-owner matching process.

FirefighterGSD 02-12-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 4975274)
Each breeder typically has their own way of "temperament testing" a puppy, some backyard breeders don't do any temperament testing at all and just let people come buy pups on the spot.

A reputable breeder performs a temperament test to evaluate each puppy and place it in the home is it most suitable for. It is a vital step in the puppy-owner matching process.

Nicely stated and I agree :) Sometimes you luck out and after describing everything you're looking for you may have more than one puppy from a litter to pick from (we actually had 3 that the breeder recommended to us). This breeder is different from my first breeder I used 8 years ago and while similar, they did have differences in their testing techniques.

onyx'girl 02-12-2014 10:50 PM

Redux.....reincarnated Harley120R

lhczth 02-13-2014 10:16 AM

The OP was banned, but the question is still legitimate.

ADMIN Lisa

Liesje 02-13-2014 10:21 AM

The past puppies I've bought or received from a breeder didn't have a standard or textbook temperament test, the breeder just knew which ones fit which people based on knowing the lines, the dam (and sometimes the sire too), and having raised the puppies for 8 weeks.

FirefighterGSD 02-13-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5014818)
The past puppies I've bought or received from a breeder didn't have a standard or textbook temperament test, the breeder just knew which ones fit which people based on knowing the lines, the dam (and sometimes the sire too), and having raised the puppies for 8 weeks.

How did they fit for you in the long run? , was the breeder dead on with her recommendations? I know some breeders are really good at knowing what you'll get from certain pairings like you said :)

onyx'girl 02-13-2014 10:33 AM

In my male's litter the test was done around 7 weeks of age and the breeder wrote up the assessments and posted them on the yahoo group page along with the puppy/owner matches. 3 yrs later on their birthday some of the litter owners re-read that 7 week old assessment, and it was dead on at maturity with the personality description! And the matches were right on.

Liesje 02-13-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirefighterGSD (Post 5014850)
How did they fit for you in the long run? , was the breeder dead on with her recommendations? I know some breeders are really good at knowing what you'll get from certain pairings like you said :)

So far I got exactly what I asked for with Nikon and Pan. Legend is only 16 weeks so time will tell, but I've enjoyed him more than any other puppy I've owned, fostered, or started for someone else (but I was also sent two puppies, both that fit my criteria but expressed some traits more than others, so I was able to make my final choice). The few puppies I've started raising for other people were not what *I* would have picked but they weren't mine to keep.

When I got Nikon it was narrowed down to 3 choices based on me wanting a male with a normal coat. I had one in mind and the breeder had one in mind. After spending several hours with the males, I chose the one we both already had in mind for me. I wanted a dog that I could cross train, mostly in agility, and have good conformation for UKC and SV events. My dog has done well at SV shows, is a UKC Champion working on his Grand (very finishable, but conformation is lower priority to me so often I skip shows in favor of other events). He LOVES agility, probably more than anything else. He has high food drive, very easy to freeshape (clear-headed and free-thinking dog), good prey drive, we were able to get a SchH1 with some "High in trial" awards and respectable scores, and he has titles in many sports. So just what I wanted...a nice, healthy, good looking dog that is fairly easy to train and fun to compete with in many sports.

Pan I didn't meet before I picked him up, but gave long descriptions to the breeder of what I wanted and didn't want. She had narrowed it down to two, one larger bi-color male and one medium sable male. When I said I didn't mind a smaller/medium size, I was assigned the sable male. I asked for a social, friendly dog with lots of prey drive and good for sports and IPO. That is exactly what I got. Pan is outgoing, great with strangers and kids, loves to train, he became the fastest flyball GSD in just 6 months of training and now has his IPO3 and will be competing at regionals and a nationals with his new handler.