picked out a puppy and might be questioning my self. HELP!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would only suggest that you accept no compromise.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Has the woman done any health testing on her breeding dogs?
I think he said that she had paperwork on them, and some had excellent hips which isn't all that common. So I am guessing she does health test.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDreamer View Post
PS. gsdsar, the pups father that i liked so much in color is very very similar to the Dog you have as your avatar. mostly black with some red/tan.

very very beautiful GSD there sir.
Thank you!!! That's my baby, Nix.

If I were you, looking for a solid healthy companion for my young family, I would look for a few things, and rule out a few pups right away.

When looking at the litter, observe them with their littermates first. With you watching from a distance, not interacting. Rule out the puppy that is sitting off to the side, rule out the bully puppy. Look at the pups that are interested in their surroundings, investigating, playing a bit.

Then go in and interact. Again, rule out any pup that moves away from you like they are scared, or shows no reaction to you at all. Rule out the pup that charges into your lap and starts biting/nipping your face, that pushes other pups out the way.

Maybe you can give a basic location, so people can steer you in the right direction. If you find a good breeder, often they will be the best to pick the appropriate puppies for your consideration.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

sue missed that, thanks

And I agree with Nix's mom's post above..

One thing I wanted to add, that I did see in your original post, you might reconsider moving a puppy/dog out to a dog house as it ages..GSD's like nothing better than being with their people, which includes living with their family. Yes they shed, but I'd rather crate inside than have my dogs outside. Just me

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm just wondering why you want a GSD to begin with. If you're going to relegate the dog to the yard once it starts shedding, why not look at a different breed? No offence to GSDs, I love them, but I also don't care about all the drifts of hair I clean up from the corners everywhere, lol.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
Has the woman done any health testing on her breeding dogs?
yes she has the father tested and the mother is going to be tested mid march. along with 2 of her other dogs. the father got good on both hips and elbows.
she has proof of that as well.
GSDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
I'm just wondering why you want a GSD to begin with. If you're going to relegate the dog to the yard once it starts shedding, why not look at a different breed? No offence to GSDs, I love them, but I also don't care about all the drifts of hair I clean up from the corners everywhere, lol.
i love GSDs, my most favorite animal of them all. well second after a tiger but that's not practical to have a Siberian tiger in my house. lol

no im fine with cleaning the hair or even dedicating a room in side. i havent planned out the future in detail yet. just a ruff draft in my head not thought through all the way. dont get me wrong, this new pup will be a member of the family and as to all of our members i want what is best for them all.

right now how ever i would like to focus on finding the right one. then the details of future plans can be molded in to a design.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Thank you!!! That's my baby, Nix.

If I were you, looking for a solid healthy companion for my young family, I would look for a few things, and rule out a few pups right away.

When looking at the litter, observe them with their littermates first. With you watching from a distance, not interacting. Rule out the puppy that is sitting off to the side, rule out the bully puppy. Look at the pups that are interested in their surroundings, investigating, playing a bit.

Then go in and interact. Again, rule out any pup that moves away from you like they are scared, or shows no reaction to you at all. Rule out the pup that charges into your lap and starts biting/nipping your face, that pushes other pups out the way.

Maybe you can give a basic location, so people can steer you in the right direction. If you find a good breeder, often they will be the best to pick the appropriate puppies for your consideration.

Good luck in your search.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
im in portland OR
but traveled over a hour to visit the pups spent about a hour and then drove back.

if any one knows of a great place with a fair price here in Northern OR or southern WA to go check out let me know.
just nothing to our rages for the price. as i have found some for sale for as much as 5k.
im sure there has to be great breeders for less then that.
as much as its killing me but my wife gave me a maximum budget to get a pup. i dont want to say what it is so that im not missing a opportunity to get a great pup for only a few hundred more then my limit my wife has placed. ill pull strings and tell my wife he/she was less then i got him/her for as long as its a good candidate. but shhhhh she can never know
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wouldn't waste the breeder's or your own time by re-visiting. The genetics you saw displayed in several puppies, is in all the puppies. Yes, there may be a puppy that could make it, but without someone with you that knows how to properly evaluate, I wouldn't recommend it, and like others have said, why chance it? Especially when you can give money to, and support a breeder, putting out stable, well-bred, pups, with every litter.

I also don't support giving any money (no matter how small it is) to a breeder with these conditions, probable genetic issues, and lack of care into what putting two dogs together will lead to (pedigree matching, temperament testing, etc). There is a reason the pup's prices are so low, and that she has puppies beyond the age when they should have gone to new homes.

You need to put just as much emphasis on a breeder that works their dogs in venues to test their temperaments as you do on "registration papers" and health checks. That old addage "if it sounds too goo to be true...it probably is" or "you get what you pay for" I believe could both be applied here. You can get crappy dogs/genetics from all kinds of breeders, but stacking the odds in your favor by going to a breeder that not only health checks but temperament tests (via a working venue, ie SAR, IPO, agility, something) as well, is very important, especially with kids in the home.

Don't worry, you'll find a good breeder. Most of us (myself included) went to back yard breeders and paid the price the first time. If you look through some of my first posts, I got my deceased shepherd from a byb. I lost him a 1.5 years old to cardiac and renal failure. He also had a nervier temperament (skittish, easily startled, occasionally would submissive urinate, etc). I wasn't worried about him around my kid, as much as I was around other young kids, especially as he matured more and the got bigger. He was way outside the standard, I will say his health was worse than the temperament issues, but my current "well bred" GSD is leaps and bounds different in temperament. It's night and day from my other shepherd.

If you give a general location maybe some on here have experience with breeders in that area that they can point you towards.

Edit: We live in Vancouver and hubby works in Portland, I'm pming you.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDreamer View Post
i love GSDs, my most favorite animal of them all. well second after a tiger but that's not practical to have a Siberian tiger in my house. lol

no im fine with cleaning the hair or even dedicating a room in side. i havent planned out the future in detail yet. just a ruff draft in my head not thought through all the way. dont get me wrong, this new pup will be a member of the family and as to all of our members i want what is best for them all.

right now how ever i would like to focus on finding the right one. then the details of future plans can be molded in to a design.
A good breeder cares about each puppy. They will be able to give you some insight on the character of each puppy. They will be able help you make a good choice. They will care where each puppy is going, and they will probably ask you some questions. One of those will probably be something about whether the dog will be an indoor dog or not. They will probably not sell to you if they think the dog will live outside.
So that question needs to be considered now.

Now, you just went to the house of a hoarder-in-training. Sorry, but Six or more dogs inside the house, cats, and birds, are going to make some mess, and they are going to smell. A dog smells. Some breeds smell worse than others. And when they are wet, they may smell worse. But a well-cared for, healthy dog (singular) will not make your house smell like a dirty pet shop. If you groom the dog once or twice a week yourself -- brush the dog's coat, and take the dog to the groomer when it starts its biannual coat blow, you can cut down on a LOT of the hair that an adult GSD makes.

I am not totally against dogs living outside. But I sell puppies to people who intend to keep them inside. Especially when you have children, the dog becomes a member of the family, and in tune with the family when it is with the family. Unless you spend 90% of your time outside, or if you work 8 or more hours a day with the dog, like a K-9 officer, then your dog is probably not going to be as much a part of your life outside than he is if he is inside. A dog (singular) who lives in a yard, outside, will become bored and a bored dog will often develop some unwanted bored behaviors, like barking constantly, or digging and chewing, escaping, etc.

These dogs are smart, loyal, and have pack drive. They don't like to be left alone constantly. They generally do not like to be blocked away from what the rest of the family is doing.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.