Age to bring home a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Age to bring home a puppy?

Is 14 weeks a good age to bring home a puppy?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Powerfulmind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

8 weeks is the minimum age to bring home a puppy. Are you getting your puppy from a breeder and if so why do you have to wait until 14 weeks sounds like the puppy might have been sick.
Darthvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory

Not always the case DarthVader, sometimes it could be a puppy that didn't work out in the breeder's program or just didn't find the right home, a rescue/shelter puppy, etc. 14 weeks old sounds fine to me, if from a breeder did he/she do anything with the puppy like training? House training? Was this the only puppy left or was their more?

CelticGlory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess we need to know more about the puppy and it's situation before most of us can make an educated statement.

Personally if I was getting a pup from a breeder. I would not want to get it when it's already that old. I believe some of the strongest impressions you can make on a puppy is probably between the age of 8 and 14 weeks. So to me you are missing out on some critical time with your puppy.

But there are many people here who got their dog at an older age and would say otherwise I'm sure.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The rescue I volunteer at won't let puppies go until they are twelve weeks and have had their second shots. Some rescues keep them longer.

I personally prefer older pups. Easier to housebreak.

I've been visiting my puppy several times a week at the rescue and we have bonded so I don't feel like I've missed out on anything.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I got one of my pups when he was 12 weeks old. At that age, he had lots more personality and he definitely picked ME. I went looking for a female and ended up taking him because he would not leave me alone. Drove home with him in my lap snoozing and he never looked back. He was extremely bonded to me and a really perfect pup. I would jump at the chance personally, as long as the breeder has been keeping up with some of the socialization that the pup should have. However, while my pup had been with plenty of dogs, he had not been away from her home and he was completely unphased by anything. With the right temperament, it really doesn't matter as much as you think. A lot of people don't really know what they are seeing when they look at a young pup anyway.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I brought home both of my boys when they were 11 weeks old, I LOVE older puppies, I would much rather have an older puppy than an 8 week old puppy. I probably wouldn't get a puppy over 16 weeks of age though.

14 weeks old sounds great to me, they are much more fun, have bigger bladders and they have more personality.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

If I were to choose, I'd prefer a puppy that stayed with parents and siblings until 12 weeks, provided they are being socialized and hopefully at least started on crate and potty training. I'll be glad to take a puppy as young as 8 weeks, but I think it benefits them to be around their first family longer. I know that older dogs can bond just as well as puppies, and in fact have had a couple of adult dogs bond with me more than puppies I've raised.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

We brought ours home at just under 8 weeks. It helps that she is almost never alone. She's doing just GREAT. The 1st 3 nights I slept on the couch with her in the crate next to me(on the floor). She is a real trooper now.

If I get up in the middle of the night I still come down most of the time & sleep by her. If I am on the couch she is out of her crate on her bed. She is right at 11 weeks now. She is in her crate otherwise, at night.

Sorry the picture is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Age to bring home a puppy?-20140210_090002.jpg  

Last edited by sourdough44; 02-11-2014 at 08:31 PM.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm with everyone else, 8 weeks is the youngest you should ever bring a puppy home. That being said, we just purchased our current puppy two weeks ago at the age of 11 weeks. Our GSD prior to this (who is deceased) was adopted at 4 months of age. I've found that the younger the better as they generally haven't established bad habits as of yet (usually lol) and you can start training your way from the get-go.

Be a responsible pet owner, leave the breeding to the experts.
FirefighterGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.