German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Working line as Family Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/404658-working-line-family-dog.html)

DaniFani 01-31-2014 01:08 PM

Working line as Family Dog

I've read a lot of comments lately in regards to working line GSDs being for "more experienced" homes, or people saying they didn't think they could handle a working line, so they went with a showline, that working lines are "crazy" or "super hyper" or "biting machines"....This blog/article is an oldie, but a goodie, and addresses some of the fears I've read and heard, as well as what a good working line breeder is working towards.

Not a showline vs working line debate, only stating that both can make excellent family pets, and working lines don't HAVE to be in SchH, protection, KNPV, SAR, LE, military etc... To be fulfilled and happy, nor do they need some world class handler to own them to "handle" them. I'm sure many have read this already, just thought I'd post it because of some of the fear/intimidation I've seen from pet people considering working lines. If I wouldn't recommend a well bred GSD to someone, I probably wouldn't recommend a dog at all.

Working German Shepherds as Pets and Companions

blackshep 01-31-2014 01:21 PM

I thought it was a pretty good article, I posted that on my FB page a little while ago :)

Blanketback 01-31-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 4940226)
If I wouldn't recommend a well bred GSD to someone, I probably wouldn't recommend a dog at all.

I'm calling hogwash on that statement. :D

Baillif 01-31-2014 01:32 PM

To a certain extent the argument is there because of a level of elitism. Oh this dog needs a strong experienced handler because otherwise it would level your house. This of course implies the person saying it is exactly that. Between common sense management and training the pup to be calm and providing mental stim and exercise it isnt that bad.

Lucy Dog 01-31-2014 01:49 PM

I've got a 9 month old working line puppy in a pet home and he's been a breeze so far. Still pretty young, but I feel I have a pretty good grasp on his temperament.

I think anyone with the basics on how to raise and train a puppy would be able to handle him. I actually found him easier than previous dogs at his age.

A well bred and balanced dog, that is eager and quick to learn, and bonds with their family should be ideal for the family situation.

Sp00ks 01-31-2014 02:03 PM

Good read.

wyoung2153 01-31-2014 02:59 PM

Boo my work blocked the article.. must mean something :p

David Taggart 01-31-2014 03:00 PM

I have East European line GSD. They potentially can be great family pets, they love small children, even unknown ones, terribly loyal, they are silent dogs (they don't bark much), but they also need a lot of exercise. They are free of a terrible inherited desease in GSD - hip displacement. Czech and DDR Eastern lines were certified by German experts.

DDR East German Shepherd

Lucy Dog 01-31-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4940938)
I have East European line GSD. They potentially can be great family pets, they love small children, even unknown ones, terribly loyal, they are silent dogs (they don't bark much), but they also need a lot of exercise. They are free of a terrible inherited desease in GSD - hip displacement. Czech and DDR Eastern lines were certified by German experts.

DDR East German Shepherd

DDR dogs are not free of HD. You put out so much incorrect information in your posts, I don't even know where to begin.

Sunflowers 01-31-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Taggart (Post 4940938)
Czech and DDR Eastern lines were certified by German experts.

Certified, how?
Czech dogs are not free of HD, either.
What I am told is that they can have DM and not-so-great teeth.