German Shepherds Forum banner

Working line as Family Dog

15K views 53 replies 27 participants last post by  carmspack 
#1 ·
I've read a lot of comments lately in regards to working line GSDs being for "more experienced" homes, or people saying they didn't think they could handle a working line, so they went with a showline, that working lines are "crazy" or "super hyper" or "biting machines"....This blog/article is an oldie, but a goodie, and addresses some of the fears I've read and heard, as well as what a good working line breeder is working towards.

Not a showline vs working line debate, only stating that both can make excellent family pets, and working lines don't HAVE to be in SchH, protection, KNPV, SAR, LE, military etc... To be fulfilled and happy, nor do they need some world class handler to own them to "handle" them. I'm sure many have read this already, just thought I'd post it because of some of the fear/intimidation I've seen from pet people considering working lines. If I wouldn't recommend a well bred GSD to someone, I probably wouldn't recommend a dog at all.

Working German Shepherds as Pets and Companions

#50 ·
What question about contract? I have no question about contracts and I never have had one...hence my confusion??

I have my breeder picked out. If I had any such questions I'd ask not some random other person. That's just silly.

But the point remains Ive never asked the question to begin with so Im not sure where your information is from??

#52 ·
Lol ok I'll let it be...very confused right now! Lol but I'm ok with that!
Also should have edited my previous post properly in that if I have a contract question I will ask MY breeder not some random person as her contract is going to be the only one that matters to me ;)

#54 ·
quote "They let obedience or manners slip for a little bit (usually within the first few months) and then they end up with a poorly trained, no manners, WL GSD that runs the house."

and that is different from show line , byb gsds, any dog at all?

Hopefully a working line , with more attention put to secure nerves and social and environmental confidence can find the "calm" , can focus and learn more easily , be an interested partner in the dog to human relationship.

I don't see the problem with a working line being a good and memorable family dog. Pedigree and slant matters .
In the working lines you can have variations , once again , based on how the pedigree is built .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.