German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Is it wrong for me to want only a sable? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/403906-wrong-me-want-only-sable.html)

Airman1stclass 01-29-2014 06:21 PM

Is it wrong for me to want only a sable?

So my wife and I are very much set on getting a sable. This doesn't mean we are willing to get just any old sable breeder we find. We are still looking carefully and trying to do the proper research. Finding the right breeder and who actually cares about the breed and isn't just trying to make a dollar. I would like to have my future dog very obedient. I live in a neighborhood where kids and dogs are always on the sidewalks or in the streets and can't take the chance with having an uncontrollable dog. I would also like to have the dog trained in personal protection. I am married and when I'm gone on a deployment, I want my wife to feel safe and secure. My wife and I are both very committed to doing what we need to so that we can expect certain things from our dog. I am in the military and work about 17 days a month (very lucky for panama shifts:)) and have every other weekend off and it's a 3 day weekend. So I have plenty of time to bring this future pup to classes and train when we are home. So back on topic, is it wrong for me to want only a sable? I know most sables are working dogs. So in a way that's a good thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

crackem 01-29-2014 06:26 PM

No, people like what they like. As long as you accept it might take a bit longer to find the exact dog you want, big deal. Sable dogs aren't hard to find. Dogs that fit the specific temperament YOU want to live with that is also sable shouldn't take a lot more time, but it could. Just be aware and happy hunting

Merciel 01-29-2014 06:27 PM

Nope! Nothing wrong with liking what you like. :)

Airman1stclass 01-29-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackem (Post 4928898)
No, people like what they like. As long as you accept it might take a bit longer to find the exact dog you want, big deal. Sable dogs aren't hard to find. Dogs that fit the specific temperament YOU want to live with that is also sable shouldn't take a lot more time, but it could. Just be aware and happy hunting

Thanks! Yeah I'll keep looking. It's what we want and don't really want to settle for anything less.

marbury 01-29-2014 06:58 PM

Nope! Since you're not choosing color over other important things (like temperament and health) there's absolutely no shame in it! We like what we like. :)

Susan_GSD_mom 01-29-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airman1stclass (Post 4928842)
So my wife and I are very much set on getting a sable. This doesn't mean we are willing to get just any old sable breeder we find. We are still looking carefully and trying to do the proper research. Finding the right breeder and who actually cares about the breed and isn't just trying to make a dollar. I would like to have my future dog very obedient. I live in a neighborhood where kids and dogs are always on the sidewalks or in the streets and can't take the chance with having an uncontrollable dog. I would also like to have the dog trained in personal protection. I am married and when I'm gone on a deployment, I want my wife to feel safe and secure. My wife and I are both very committed to doing what we need to so that we can expect certain things from our dog. I am in the military and work about 17 days a month (very lucky for panama shifts:)) and have every other weekend off and it's a 3 day weekend. So I have plenty of time to bring this future pup to classes and train when we are home. So back on topic, is it wrong for me to want only a sable? I know most sables are working dogs. So in a way that's a good thing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with wanting a sable at all! Sables are beautiful, first of all. Second, you can do your research and definitely find good caring breeders who produce sable puppies. The breeder of my sable Sarah was such a breeder, and we never regretted our choice. Sarah saved the life of my grand nephew when he was an infant, and a half sibling of hers saved his owner's life from the attack of a nasty mule.

Two keys to my choosing that breeder: First, it was in her sales contract that the puppy be OFA'd and Penn-hipped by a certain age, and copies of the x-rays be sent to her. Second, if Sarah did show issues with hips or elbows, the breeder would send me my choice of the next available litter, and I could also keep Sarah (most breeders will offer an exchange, then they put down the dog with bad hips/elbows). Her breeding animals were all schutzhund and/or French Ring titled. And, I talked to her at length weeks before Sarah was even born, and still consider her a friend, six years after Sarah has passed away. (Unfortunately she has retired as a breeder, and has only a few older dogs now, no breeding.)

Others here can give you lots more criteria for choosing a good breeder, but this is what helped me.

Airman1stclass 01-29-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom (Post 4929218)
Nothing wrong with wanting a sable at all! Sables are beautiful, first of all. Second, you can do your research and definitely find good caring breeders who produce sable puppies. The breeder of my sable Sarah was such a breeder, and we never regretted our choice. Sarah saved the life of my grand nephew when he was an infant, and a half sibling of hers saved his owner's life from the attack of a nasty mule.

Two keys to my choosing that breeder: First, it was in her sales contract that the puppy be OFA'd and Penn-hipped by a certain age, and copies of the x-rays be sent to her. Second, if Sarah did show issues with hips or elbows, the breeder would send me my choice of the next available litter, and I could also keep Sarah (most breeders will offer an exchange, then they put down the dog with bad hips/elbows). Her breeding animals were all schutzhund and/or French Ring titled. And, I talked to her at length weeks before Sarah was even born, and still consider her a friend, six years after Sarah has passed away. (Unfortunately she has retired as a breeder, and has only a few older dogs now, no breeding.)

Others here can give you lots more criteria for choosing a good breeder, but this is what helped me.

I've been looking for breeders in these forums. So many different states. Don't know if I should start a new thread cause so many people are probably tired of recommending the same breeders over and over. I'll keep looking though!

Courtney 01-29-2014 07:49 PM

Nothing wrong with wanting a desired coat color.

I believe with doing your homework you can get the total package. Good luck:)

onyx'girl 01-29-2014 07:55 PM

When I was looking for my next pup I wanted a sable. I knew that color choosing was sometimes looked down upon, but I didn't want another black dog and really wanted a sable!

The breeder I chose had a litter planned with sables and blacks expected. I told them if black was the only option for me, I'd probably lose my deposit. Thankfully all pups in the litter were sables, but I would have kicked myself for backing out just because of color...that litter was not one to pass on! I lucked out with the sable.

Next time, I'll just take whatever the breeder chooses for me, color won't be an issue(but I do love the bicolors so would lean toward a breeding expecting bi's!)

Freestep 01-29-2014 08:16 PM

I don't see anything wrong with a color preference, as long as it is the right pup for your family.

Just don't put yourself into this situation: the breeder has a black pup and a sable pup available, and the black one is perfect for you in terms of temperament, energy and drive level, while the sable pup is not really suitable (for whatever reason). Don't go against the breeder's recommendation and take the sable pup over the black just because it is sable. The breeder might not let you do that anyway!

If you're really married to having sable, wait until the next litter, or the next, until the perfect pup for you happens to be sable!