Seriously concidering getting a GSD pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seriously concidering getting a GSD pup

Hello. First post. I've been informed that a litter of GSD pups will be due in Feb. & am seriously concidering getting one. I have a few questions. The owner said both parents have a mild temperment. What does this mean? Also, my husband & I have a 3 year old beagle. Are GSD good around other breeds? & last, I hear GSD shed A LOT. My husband doesn't really want a dog that sheds too much, but wants a dog that protects when he's deployed. Is the shedding worth it? TIA!
msnorth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorth View Post
Hello. First post. I've been informed that a litter of GSD pups will be due in Feb. & am seriously concidering getting one. I have a few questions. The owner said both parents have a mild temperment. What does this mean? Also, my husband & I have a 3 year old beagle. Are GSD good around other breeds? & last, I hear GSD shed A LOT. My husband doesn't really want a dog that sheds too much, but wants a dog that protects when he's deployed. Is the shedding worth it? TIA!
Heck yeah the shedding is worth it.

If the bitch throws any coats, you might consider that as I have owned three coats and I have noticed they shed much less than a standard coat. Doesn't seem to make sense when you look at them but it works out that way. However, when they blow their coats.....it's a real hairapalooza. On a daily basis, the coats I have had shed much less plus my current shepherd is eating raw and that seems to also make a difference as the last two ate kibble.

Temperament is of course important and I would be inclined to go visit the sire and dam and check out their "disposition", I'm sure the breeder will be accommodating, whether the sire is around or not is another question. I am not knowledgeable enough to know if temperament is more nature or nurture but all 3 of our GSD's had/have wonderful temperaments.....like cupcakes they were/are.

GSD's pups are a handful, so I have been told by my friends who had other breeds, especially my bro in law who has collies.

I cannot speak to the question regarding whether they are good around other breeds as we have only had one breed. However, I see many pictures and read many posts of folks in here who have numerous dogs and numerous breeds all living under the same roof, so I assume they coexist without much problems at all.

Good luck to you and I believe when you get your shepherd, in short order you will come to see why they are such terrific companions. It just takes a few months .....LOL.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

well the shedding is worth it to me But yes, they do shed ALOT. You can brush for days,and they'll still drop hair

I have a metro air force blower that I can't live without, mine gets blown out atleast once a week in good weather.

Mild temperament? I guess you'll have to ask the breeder what they mean by that. Their description may not match mine or others.

In my opinion, GSD's don't make good dogpark dogs. Depends on the nature of the dog as to whether it will like other animals (outside the immediate family) or not. As for protecting?, again, depends on the dog, they may bark which is a good deterrent, but most dogs will protect themselves vs protect others

No one can predict the future, so I don't think I or anyone, can give you a definitive answer to your questions.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well it seriously depends about the shedding..if your husband cant stand the thought of hair in every little nook and corner, and even sometimes in your food (maybe thats just mine) and you may think that this could seriously impact your choice to keep the dog down the road then i would say no find a short hair breed that can do the job. Mine have blown 2 wal mart vacuums i also take them everywere i go, even if i am wearing something awesome and i dont want it covered in them lol. If the shedding is not a super huge deal then yes, they make super amazing family members, and even better jogging partners. I have never heard the term mild temperment.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

mine is sheding real bad now and my whole house fills up with hair like a sheep has been sheared every day!

ITs winter and cold here i dont get it.

Hair is everywhere. I brush her daily!
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

msnorth don't get the same sex as you have now. Some gsds are good some aren't depends on the individual.

I dont know if it is just me but they don't seem to be as social or care for other dogs much compared to some breeds that always want to make a new friend.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorth View Post
I hear GSD shed A LOT. My husband doesn't really want a dog that sheds too much, but wants a dog that protects when he's deployed. Is the shedding worth it? TIA!
Honestly, I don't think the German Shepherd is the breed for your home if your husband doesn't really want a dog that sheds a lot. Because they do shed a lot. And that is just the day to day shedding. A couple of times a year they blow their coat and it is even worse.

I brush my dog several times a week and I can still vacuum up enough hair to make a whole new dog out of what I suck up. I often ask myself why I put so much effort into keeping him brushed when I still end up with so much loose hair. Then I think about how bad it would be if I didn't brush him regularly!

There a many other big, barking breeds that can act as a deterrent that don't shed nearly as much as a German Shepherd. You might want to consider one of them. It would be a shame to get a puppy, love it and invest time and effort in training and socializing, only to end up with an outside lawn ornament that isn't welcome inside because of the mess.

And I think you should be commended for asking questions now, rather than later!
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, if your husband is dead set against a shedder, then a GSD will only prove to be a source of frustration for the both of you for the next 12-17 years. I don't think I have served a single lasagna for the past fifteen years that didn't have any of that "special spice!" JK, but seriously, you can vacuum (with a Dyson) every single day, and still, you will be amazed to find GSD fur inside even your oven, lol! When they blow their coats, it's absolutely crazy. I can pull off the dry cleaning bags and quickly slip on my outfit five minutes before I leave the house, but an hour later when I walk into the office covered in dog hair, I *have* to be able to laugh it off and joke that "You can't take me anywhere!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandMattie View Post
Well, if your husband is dead set against a shedder, then a GSD will only prove to be a source of frustration for the both of you for the next 12-17 years. I don't think I have served a single lasagna for the past fifteen years that didn't have any of that "special spice!" JK, but seriously, you can vacuum (with a Dyson) every single day, and still, you will be amazed to find GSD fur inside even your oven, lol! When they blow their coats, it's absolutely crazy. I can pull off the dry cleaning bags and quickly slip on my outfit five minutes before I leave the house, but an hour later when I walk into the office covered in dog hair, I *have* to be able to laugh it off and joke that "You can't take me anywhere!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I knew i was not the only one that had hair in the food...its normal around my house!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
mine is sheding real bad now and my whole house fills up with hair like a sheep has been sheared every day!

ITs winter and cold here i dont get it.

Hair is everywhere. I brush her daily!
Tell me about it, clumps of hair are falling out of her butt when she walks by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.