German Shepherds Forum banner

Advice on getting puppy/right breeder

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  NancyJ 
#1 ·
My wife and I would really love to get a GSD. We both work morning shifts. I wake up at 4 and have to be to work by 5. She wakes up and bring me to work. She doesn't have to be to work until 7:30. She's back home around 11:30 for lunch. Usually has to be back to work around 12:45. We are both home at around 4 in the afternoon. My question is do you think we could get a GDS as a puppy with the schedule that we have. Keep in mind once we are home. We will take the pup wherever we go. We exercise everyday, so the pup being in shape and fit wouldn't be a problem. We are really set on getting a Black Sable GSD puppy. They are just the best looking GSDs. We live in Delaware and wouldn't mind traveling up to 6 hours for the right breeder. Any recommendations would be great. Any feedback really would be very much appreciated!

#2 ·
That sounds doable to me. I worked eight hours a day with all my puppies but I was able to come home on my lunch hour as well as have neighbors/family check in. But I had no life outside of work and dog...LOL.

With me being gone eight hours a day, I spent the rest of my waking hours with the dog...socialization, training, play. I was a stranger to my family for the first year or so. It was a lot of work and sacrifices had to be made, but I wouldn't have changed it for anything.

Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)
get up at 3am so you get some training in before you go to work.
your wife should get up an hour earlier so she can train. find
someone to come in and give your dog a few breaks while the
2 of you are working. good luck with the new pup. it gets much
easier as you train and socialize and the dog gets older.

we were lucky when we got our pup. my neighbors helped us
with our pup. one of our neighbors would let the pup out every
2 hours. one of our neighbors use to take the pup to her house.
it was easier for her to take the pup to her. our dog is 6&1/2 years
old. to this day our neighbors will feed and let our dog out if we're
gone for any length of time.

#6 ·
Doable! My husband and I have a 5 month old GSD named Chief :). My husband and I both work full time jobs. I work 8am-5pm and my husband 7am-3pm. I come home during lunch to feed and take Chief to use the bathroom and when my husband gets off work he will play fetch with Chief and I walk him or take him to the dog park in the evenings. He seemed like at first it wasn't enough exercise but I think that was just normal puppy behavior because he's now finally calming down and chilling out!

#11 ·
More and more "dark sables" are turning up in shelters, the color is becoming very popular, and people are getting them for the "looks" and then dumping them when they are "too much." The one below just popped up on my newsfeed this morning. You have a lot of threads gong right now, I would put all your questions in one thread, you'll get more/better advice when people get the whole picture in one area. Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...90215899.31633.131817526895342&type=1&theater

#15 ·
I would strongly recommend you get out to plenty of dog events for GSDs-I am certain you have a lot to chose from up there and look at the various types of dogs and get to know about temperament etc. Black Sable is very popular and that will be in the working lines - a lot of those are Czech/East German dogs.

They are quite popular right now and that can cause problems with a lot of mis-bred dogs so it is important to line up with a really good breeder who knows their lines and your requirements. A fit can be had but it may take a little bit of time to get just the right pup.

Am Showline, German Showline, Various Working Lines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.