Temperament Testing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Temperament Testing

My litter is just under a week old. The dam had 12 puppies, for those of you who breed, how many do you usually get? Also, I'm going to ask a temperament question. The breeder will be doing a temperament test at 6 wks, and if I'm wanting an active companion with the ability for obedience or agility, but not needing the extra activity.(I will walk the dog once a day). What type of a temperament should I look for? Thanks, feel free to ask questions.

Amarok der schwarze Bär von Walnuss Tal -AKA "Bear"~ Solid Black Male GSD
HeidiGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would have the breeder wait a week before temperament testing. You will want a puppy that shows strong environmental nerves (not bothered by new locations, heights, strange footing), is sound sure (doesn't get upset about loud noises), shows some desire to chase and pick up objects, wants to be with and engage people yet isn't clingy and probably around a medium threshold for pain (don't want them freaking out or quitting if you step on their foot, etc). I would also test for food drive since most training is done with food.

The breeder should know her/his lines well and have been watching the litter for the 7 weeks so the testing will just verify what she/he has already been seeing. Of course they also have to be willing to see and know what they are seeing.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

And ask for one with an off switch

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I would have the breeder wait a week before temperament testing. You will want a puppy that shows strong environmental nerves (not bothered by new locations, heights, strange footing), is sound sure (doesn't get upset about loud noises), shows some desire to chase and pick up objects, wants to be with and engage people yet isn't clingy and probably around a medium threshold for pain (don't want them freaking out or quitting if you step on their foot, etc). I would also test for food drive since most training is done with food.

The breeder should know her/his lines well and have been watching the litter for the 7 weeks so the testing will just verify what she/he has already been seeing. Of course they also have to be willing to see and know what they are seeing.
Thought it was best if it was done at 49 days? Oh wait that is 7 weeks... duh! Sorry!
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Lisa, but that is so far in the puppies future, I'd be focused on the first few weeks now. Hopefully the breeder is helping the large litter by supplementing or giving pups that need it, personal nursing time with mom. A dozen in a litter is extremely competitive at the milk bar. It can stress the weaker ones and give mom some anxiety when they are constantly fighting for a stool or her trying to lay there and feed them constantly. Nutrition is so important too. 12 is almost double the size of normal...so normal in this case is not happening. I hope this isn't the breeders first litter!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

This site shows an example of the Volhard Aptitude Test that a lot of people use to test the temperaments on pups. Down towards the bottom of the page, shows the interpretation of the numbers. Sounds like a pup with scores of 4's and 3's would be your perfect companion!
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test
Good luck!
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's great you want to do activities with your future puppy. Personally, first and foremost is a dog I can live with. Walking my dog once a day wouldn't cut it and she does have an "off" switch.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
And ask for one with an off switch
I see an "off switch" as a component of nerve strength so don't ever bother mentioning it. I note the "ever ready bunny" puppies in a litter, but those pups will show other areas where they lack nerve. That is just an early sign. Of course the breeder or tester has to know what they are seeing too. They also have to know their lines well.

What I am trying to say in a long about way is that if the breeder or tester misses indications of nerve weakness they probably won't notice a puppy that will have an "off switch".
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Two things that I don't like are tail chasing and biting the bars of the crate. Some of that doesn't show itself until later but if I saw it right away it would be a deal breaker for me.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I see an "off switch" as a component of nerve strength so don't ever bother mentioning it. I note the "ever ready bunny" puppies in a litter, but those pups will show other areas where they lack nerve. That is just an early sign. Of course the breeder or tester has to know what they are seeing too. They also have to know their lines well.

What I am trying to say in a long about way is that if the breeder or tester misses indications of nerve weakness they probably won't notice a puppy that will have an "off switch".
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really interested in this as we just recently did the temperament test on a rescue litter. Mama is a pure shepherd but daddy we believe is a mix maybe Akita? All of the puppies seemed to be really mellow. No one was interested in chasing an object only one was really scared. Others seemed to take most the stuff in stride. Two were somewhat food aggressive. I would love any thoughts. Feel free to PM
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.