German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Temperament Testing (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/394746-temperament-testing.html)

HeidiGS 01-11-2014 07:52 PM

Temperament Testing

My litter is just under a week old. The dam had 12 puppies, for those of you who breed, how many do you usually get? Also, I'm going to ask a temperament question. The breeder will be doing a temperament test at 6 wks, and if I'm wanting an active companion with the ability for obedience or agility, but not needing the extra activity.(I will walk the dog once a day). What type of a temperament should I look for? Thanks, feel free to ask questions.

lhczth 01-11-2014 08:31 PM

I would have the breeder wait a week before temperament testing. You will want a puppy that shows strong environmental nerves (not bothered by new locations, heights, strange footing), is sound sure (doesn't get upset about loud noises), shows some desire to chase and pick up objects, wants to be with and engage people yet isn't clingy and probably around a medium threshold for pain (don't want them freaking out or quitting if you step on their foot, etc). I would also test for food drive since most training is done with food.

The breeder should know her/his lines well and have been watching the litter for the 7 weeks so the testing will just verify what she/he has already been seeing. Of course they also have to be willing to see and know what they are seeing. :)

Jax08 01-11-2014 08:36 PM

And ask for one with an off switch ;)

shepherdmom 01-11-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4817010)
I would have the breeder wait a week before temperament testing. You will want a puppy that shows strong environmental nerves (not bothered by new locations, heights, strange footing), is sound sure (doesn't get upset about loud noises), shows some desire to chase and pick up objects, wants to be with and engage people yet isn't clingy and probably around a medium threshold for pain (don't want them freaking out or quitting if you step on their foot, etc). I would also test for food drive since most training is done with food.

The breeder should know her/his lines well and have been watching the litter for the 7 weeks so the testing will just verify what she/he has already been seeing. Of course they also have to be willing to see and know what they are seeing. :)

Thought it was best if it was done at 49 days? Oh wait that is 7 weeks... duh! Sorry!

onyx'girl 01-11-2014 10:24 PM

I agree with Lisa, but that is so far in the puppies future, I'd be focused on the first few weeks now. Hopefully the breeder is helping the large litter by supplementing or giving pups that need it, personal nursing time with mom. A dozen in a litter is extremely competitive at the milk bar. It can stress the weaker ones and give mom some anxiety when they are constantly fighting for a stool or her trying to lay there and feed them constantly. Nutrition is so important too. 12 is almost double the size of normal...so normal in this case is not happening. I hope this isn't the breeders first litter!

Momto2GSDs 01-11-2014 11:42 PM

This site shows an example of the Volhard Aptitude Test that a lot of people use to test the temperaments on pups. Down towards the bottom of the page, shows the interpretation of the numbers. Sounds like a pup with scores of 4's and 3's would be your perfect companion!;)
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test
Good luck!
Moms:)

JakodaCD OA 01-12-2014 07:56 AM

It's great you want to do activities with your future puppy. Personally, first and foremost is a dog I can live with. Walking my dog once a day wouldn't cut it and she does have an "off" switch.

lhczth 01-12-2014 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 4817066)
And ask for one with an off switch ;)

I see an "off switch" as a component of nerve strength so don't ever bother mentioning it. I note the "ever ready bunny" puppies in a litter, but those pups will show other areas where they lack nerve. That is just an early sign. Of course the breeder or tester has to know what they are seeing too. They also have to know their lines well.

What I am trying to say in a long about way is that if the breeder or tester misses indications of nerve weakness they probably won't notice a puppy that will have an "off switch". :)

Liesje 01-12-2014 11:55 AM

Two things that I don't like are tail chasing and biting the bars of the crate. Some of that doesn't show itself until later but if I saw it right away it would be a deal breaker for me.

shepherdmom 01-12-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 4819346)
I see an "off switch" as a component of nerve strength so don't ever bother mentioning it. I note the "ever ready bunny" puppies in a litter, but those pups will show other areas where they lack nerve. That is just an early sign. Of course the breeder or tester has to know what they are seeing too. They also have to know their lines well.

What I am trying to say in a long about way is that if the breeder or tester misses indications of nerve weakness they probably won't notice a puppy that will have an "off switch". :)

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm really interested in this as we just recently did the temperament test on a rescue litter. Mama is a pure shepherd but daddy we believe is a mix maybe Akita? All of the puppies seemed to be really mellow. No one was interested in chasing an object only one was really scared. Others seemed to take most the stuff in stride. Two were somewhat food aggressive. I would love any thoughts. Feel free to PM