German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Help me :) please (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/384442-help-me-please.html)

Ellex 12-20-2013 03:36 PM

Help me :) please
 
Hey everyone,
i'm new to this site and how no idea if i'm posting this in the right area.
I'm a member of YorkieTalk and i was referred here. A little background before i get to my questions. I own a small 3 1/2 lb yorkie, he's almost 5 years old. He goes on long walks daily, my husband and i take him hiking, and i take him to the beach as often as i can. I really really really want a bigger dog to join him in all his activity and i just want one in general. My sister in law had a GSD and he was the sweetest thing ever and i fell in love with him. I've never owned a big dog myself but my husband has so i'll have help when it comes to training.

my questions would be,
1. how have your pups gotten along with (older) small pets?
2. how have your pups gotten along with small pets once they were full grown?
( i know the breed is loyal to their pack ) 3. do you feel comfortable leaving your GSD and small dog alone roaming around the house when you aren't there?
4. Has your full grown GSD ever shown aggression towards the small dog they were raised with?


My Yorkie is a male so i was thinking if i do get a Shepherd, i'd get a Female, just to try and avoid the whole Alpha drama. (I know you're suppose to be Alpha, it just makes me feel more comfortable)

blehmannwa 12-20-2013 03:46 PM

In my youth, I had a female GSD and a female Papillion. They got along fine but the Papillion was older and very much in charge. Once I brought home a giant bone which the Papilllion could not even get her mouth around--she wedged it into a corner and didn't let the shepherd have any.

But it really depends on the dogs and the environment. I'd say to go with a reputable breeder and have a trainer lined up. My brother in law started having problems with his shepherd and his dachshunds when the shep reached adolescence.

Ellex 12-20-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmannwa (Post 4703490)
In my youth, I had a female GSD and a female Papillion. They got along fine but the Papillion was older and very much in charge. Once I brought home a giant bone which the Papilllion could not even get her mouth around--she wedged it into a corner and didn't let the shepherd have any.

But it really depends on the dogs and the environment. I'd say to go with a reputable breeder and have a trainer lined up. My brother in law started having problems with his shepherd and his dachshunds when the shep reached adolescence.

Thank you.
i'm going to do more research about them.
I'll ask my mother in law as well since shes had up to four big dog and two very small dogs all living in harmony.

Gretchen 12-20-2013 04:10 PM

I would think if you got a GSD as a puppy and raised it with your Yorkie things should be OK. Our other pets are cats, my GSD was raised with them and she loves them (although not all love her!). In general, my adult female GSD tends to be drawn to the small, male dogs. She is so gentle and kind to them and always wants to meet them.

How does your Yorkie react to other dogs? Is he generally friendly and wanting to play?

Harry and Lola 12-20-2013 04:21 PM

I've never owned a small breed, however GSDs can get on really well with small dogs. My female loves little dogs, she is excellent with them, will get down to their level and is very gentle with them - she loves little ones. I'm sure your puppy will be fine with your Yorkie, as your pup grows he will go through that interesting adolescence stage where he will start to test and try your authority etc and will test the Yorkie, however if you provide training and consistent rules for all, they will be fine.

Lilie 12-20-2013 04:34 PM

I have a Mini Dachshund. My male GSD adores her. When my GSD was a puppy, I didn't allow him to bully her. I made the rules, not the dogs.

MrsFergione 12-20-2013 04:50 PM

My smaller dogs do not like my shepherd. My shepherd loves them. But they are sisters and were bottle fed so they probably don't even know they are dogs lol

Sp00ks 12-20-2013 06:12 PM

Our son has a jack russell / basset mix.. Interesting right? Our shepherd and the jack were best buds. They played constantly. Ball, frisbee, hide and seek, tag. The jack was crushed when we lost the shepherd. It was quite pitiful.

Ellex 12-20-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretchen (Post 4703538)
I would think if you got a GSD as a puppy and raised it with your Yorkie things should be OK. Our other pets are cats, my GSD was raised with them and she loves them (although not all love her!). In general, my adult female GSD tends to be drawn to the small, male dogs. She is so gentle and kind to them and always wants to meet them.

How does your Yorkie react to other dogs? Is he generally friendly and wanting to play?


My Yorkie thinks he can take on the world. He gets really excited to meet every dog he sees but i have noticed if the other dog is a male, my Yorkie gets nervous and jumps to me to be picked up and then starts barking. He doesn't do this to every male dog; I've dog sat a male and female med size and they got along just fine. So I don't what makes him do that towards some and not others.

Ellex 12-20-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 4703586)
I've never owned a small breed, however GSDs can get on really well with small dogs. My female loves little dogs, she is excellent with them, will get down to their level and is very gentle with them - she loves little ones. I'm sure your puppy will be fine with your Yorkie, as your pup grows he will go through that interesting adolescence stage where he will start to test and try your authority etc and will test the Yorkie, however if you provide training and consistent rules for all, they will be fine.

When you say he'll test me and the Yorkie, what does that actually mean. I know I have to set rules and not let her bully him as a puppy; and I'm suppose to be the alpha, my Yorkie is very respectful towards me and listen to me when I give him a command, but I only trained him to sit and stay; he know stops but I didn't go all out with him. I read that GSD are easily trained so that was another reason why I'm considering bringing one in the family.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2