Is this breeder responsible? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Is this breeder responsible?

lengagsds Is this breeder responsible? I have chatted with this breeder and was educated by her breeder thing. So am knowledgeable what makes a responsible breeder. I will visit with her sometime next week not to purchase a puppy just to hang out with her dogs. She has offered me a puppy kindly and also answered my breeder questionnaire thing. Answered truthfully with what responsible breeders do. Although I said perhaps in a few years will consider due to college plans comes up first and after wards. We'll have to see what lies in the future first because we never know the future for certain. If nobody wants a dog anymore returns, her dogs are big and healthy guarranteed, excellent references, great quality, amazing personality, calm and gentle. Although she is slowing down she is not stopping to breed.

Last edited by Lobobear44; 12-20-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Lobobear44 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Before I speak to alot of red flags on this breeders website, what are YOU looking for in a GSD?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm confused what you're looking for as I had trouble reading your post. You're wanting to know if they are responsible but you do not plan to get a puppy or dog, just hang out with them? There's also a lot of things on the website that would make me shy away too.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sorry - I see someone with a nice line of what every one wants to hear, but with no credentials on dogs to back up the price structure.....a few dogs with West German show lines, bred, their progeny bred, and the bottom lines are pretty much pet breeding with nothing substantial to commend them - other than listings of health testing....ie, a commercial breeder specializing in high priced pets with nothing of substance to justify the prices....you can get dogs from good breeders who show and work their dogs for the same or - GASP!!! - less money....pups from dogs who have won Nationally - not just showed up and placed in the bottom 5 - but WON - and dogs who have competed in World Championships for the US....

The breeder may be a very nice person, she probably loves her dogs.....and I am smacking my own hands not to say a few things....But this is not a breeder I would want to be mentored by, or emulate...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Before I speak to alot of red flags on this breeders website, what are YOU looking for in a GSD?
@Saphire not looking for a dog for now. Just education on breeders responsible and irresponsible. What's so about this breeder? She answered my questionnaire dogs are healthy, great quality, calm, outgoing, etc dogs. Also gets dogs back when ppl can't have them.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
sorry - I see someone with a nice line of what every one wants to hear, but with no credentials on dogs to back up the price structure.....a few dogs with West German show lines, bred, their progeny bred, and the bottom lines are pretty much pet breeding with nothing substantial to commend them - other than listings of health testing....ie, a commercial breeder specializing in high priced pets with nothing of substance to justify the prices....you can get dogs from good breeders who show and work their dogs for the same or - GASP!!! - less money....pups from dogs who have won Nationally - not just showed up and placed in the bottom 5 - but WON - and dogs who have competed in World Championships for the US....

The breeder may be a very nice person, she probably loves her dogs.....and I am smacking my own hands not to say a few things....But this is not a breeder I would want to be mentored by, or emulate...

Lee
So she is a byb?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

BYB is a broad term and means different things to many people.....but in broad parameters, pretty much - yes, she does cite health testing...but the pedigrees, the goals, etc are not those of a knowledgeable breeder....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

One thing that is a big red flag for me is that I have a spayed mutt with an iffy temperament who has more titles than the dogs she is breeding from. While a CGC might be the end goal of someone's family pet, I expect much higher titles from breeding stock, be they show championship titles or working titles.
LeoRose is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Forgive me if I'm remembering this incorrectly, but you're a young teenager, right?

So maybe make this a critical thinking exercise. Discount what the breeder says about herself and her own dogs -- just eliminate that entirely from your analysis. Pretend it doesn't exist.

Review the website with a critical eye. Read between the lines. What's there? What isn't there? What words are used to describe these dogs that might be interpreted by some of the people on this board as red flags? Why?

I have never met this breeder and I'm not familiar with her dogs. I know nothing about her program and cannot speak to its merits or deficiencies. But it's clear to me why some of the representations made on the website might meet a cool reception here, and if you take some time to think it over yourself, you should be able to reach the same conclusions quite easily.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

All her females are bred at 7/8 MONTHS old?! I hate most of her answers, but this one in particular.
DaniFani is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.