German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Purebred GSD? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/381962-purebred-gsd.html)

Liz1210 12-15-2013 06:48 PM

Purebred GSD?

We are looking to get our second GSD and a friend told us of a lady who just bought one but needs to sell him because he doesn't get along with her other dog. Anyway, we went to look at this puppy and a few things jumped out at me.. He is supposed to be about 11 weeks old and he seems very tiny..(Which she said he was the runt), he dog was almost like a tan/grey color all over except the snout, which was black. He had all four white paws just on the toes, a white patch on his chest, and a white tip tail. And his ears didn't overwhelm his face. With our first, her ears seemed to take over her face lol. I don't have a picture, but I'm just curious if anyone has any takes on this. Thank you!

martemchik 12-15-2013 07:03 PM

From your description, and without a picture, probably not purebred. A white chest is sometimes possible with a black/tan GSD, but paws are pushing it, and the tail should never have a white tip.

I would also never pay someone to help them and take their dog off their hands. If they want it to have a good home, I'll give that dog a good home (especially since you're being recommended by a friend), but I'm not about to pay you for a dog that you did nothing for. This is a lesson learned and not a way to recoup the costs of a dog.

You also have no way of knowing how much she paid for the dog, what kind of veterinary care he's gotten, and what if she does this on a regular basis, makes up some sob story and then makes a profit off of a shelter or rescue dog.

Liesje 12-15-2013 07:15 PM

White tail tip would be a major red flag, I've never ever seen that on a GSD. Toes and/or chest patch, yes.

misslesleedavis1 12-15-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 4676234)
From your description, and without a picture, probably not purebred. A white chest is sometimes possible with a black/tan GSD, but paws are pushing it, and the tail should never have a white tip.

I would also never pay someone to help them and take their dog off their hands. If they want it to have a good home, I'll give that dog a good home (especially since you're being recommended by a friend), but I'm not about to pay you for a dog that you did nothing for. This is a lesson learned and not a way to recoup the costs of a dog.

You also have no way of knowing how much she paid for the dog, what kind of veterinary care he's gotten, and what if she does this on a regular basis, makes up some sob story and then makes a profit off of a shelter or rescue dog.

Agreed, you will be 100% financially responsible for the rest of this pups life. You are doing this woman a huge favor.

Castlemaid 12-15-2013 07:45 PM

The overall grey could be a sable, and a white patch on the chest is possible, but sable with white on the paws and a white tipped tail is not very likely. Sounds like a mix.

But how does an 11 week old puppy not get along with another dog? It's a puppy, he wants to play! Pups can be overwhelming at times, but that is up to the owner to separate older dogs and give them a break from on-going puppy harassment.

Doesn't mean they don't get along - not sure what the issue is that the person needs to sell the pup.

Liz1210 12-15-2013 07:52 PM

Thanks everyone! I thought for sure as soon as I saw all of the white markings it wasn't a purebred, I just wanted to make sure. I will stick with my breeder.. I just thought I'd help someone out and help the pup.

GSDlover143 12-15-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz1210 (Post 4676618)
Thanks everyone! I thought for sure as soon as I saw all of the white markings it wasn't a purebred, I just wanted to make sure. I will stick with my breeder.. I just thought I'd help someone out and help the pup.

Post a picture?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lhczth 12-16-2013 10:59 AM

Actually white toes and chest markings do happen in sable pups. These are both the same pup at different age.
http://zutreuenhanden.com/Photos/FpupsMrTC.jpg

http://zutreuenhanden.com/Photos/FpupsMrT7weeksB.jpg

The white tail tip would make me question the purebred status of the pup. We would need to see pictures.

mukala junior 01-21-2014 02:15 AM

the same problem as Lucile

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, i'm having the same problem, I'm about to buy a GSD puppy but he also as all his paws white and the tip of his tail white, Pls tell me if he is a purebred. Because I read that the white paws can occur but white tip tail NO. The puppy is about 1 month old.

SummerGSDLover 01-21-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDlover143 (Post 4676626)
Post a picture?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

She said she doesn't have any pictures in her original post.

*-*Summer*-*