German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Breeder picking your new puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/381714-breeder-picking-your-new-puppy.html)

ksotto333 12-15-2013 10:24 AM

Breeder picking your new puppy?

What age do puppies start demonstrating how their personalities will develop. In line with this by what age do breeders usually make the decision on where each pup will go?

mspiker03 12-15-2013 10:29 AM

Paisley was picked out at approx 4 weeks. I am sure it will vary a bit depending on the breeder.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

lhczth 12-15-2013 10:35 AM

I usually know which female in a litter I will keep by 4 weeks (I think I picked Vala when she was born). :) Once their eyes start to open and they become mobile their little personalities start to develop. I do testing at around 7 weeks though I usually have a pretty good feel by that point which pup will be suitable for which person.

LoveEcho 12-15-2013 10:40 AM

My pup wasn't picked for me- she was the only female in the litter, and based on siblings/the parents/the breeder/what I'm looking for in a dog, I was comfortable with taking the "gamble". But, she is four weeks old and has a LOT of personality already, as do her brothers. They are easy to tell apart solely based on their personalities. Luckily, she is fitting into exactly what I was hoping for in a pup.

doggiedad 12-15-2013 10:50 AM

i'm leary of the breeder picking a pup out for me. how does
a breeder know the temperament of a pup 2 weeks later, 2
months later, 6 months later, 1&1/2 yrs later, etc. i think
there's so much involved in developing the temperament
that it can't be determined when a pup is 2 weeks, 4 weeks,
5 weeks, 8 weeks old. i also don't think a breeder has a pup
that matches every buyer's personality.

MaggieRoseLee 12-15-2013 10:54 AM

And I wouldn't support a breeder who let me run among a litter and then just pick the one I felt was right! The breeder will have known and been with the puppies for weeks and I will, at best, have a few hours on one day.

The reason I pay the big bucks is exactly for the knowledge and experience of my breeder with their pups! They have had past litters, testing the pups and then seen them grow up to see how true the testing worked out!

Heck, I'd just pick the one that crawled into my lap, or had the cute bent ear, or ..... and that's not really probably the best thing :)

LoveEcho 12-15-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4673610)
i'm leary of the breeder picking a pup out for me. how does
a breeder know the temperament of a pup 2 weeks later, 2
months later, 6 months later, 1&1/2 yrs later, etc. i think
there's so much involved in developing the temperament
that it can't be determined when a pup is 2 weeks, 4 weeks,
5 weeks, 8 weeks old. i also don't think a breeder has a pup
that matches every buyer's personality.

The breeder has spent the last 8 weeks with that pup- they'll have a much better idea than the buyer, who spends an hour with the pup, as to what the pup's core personality will be. Obviously there's no guarantee- nobody ever said there was. But if the breeder knows his dogs and knows what they produce, he'll have at least a good idea of what the pup will be like at the core. That doesn't factor in training and socialization on the part of the owner, but it at least gives you an idea of what you're working with.

If no pup in this litter was going to be a good fit for me (say, this particular female was going to be an extremely strong dog, as it seems some of her brothers will be... or conversely, not being confident or having a lot of drive suitable for a working dog), then my breeder would let me wait on another litter, or let me go elsewhere. It should be about finding a good match, not filling a crate "right now."

MaggieRoseLee 12-15-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveEcho (Post 4673650)

If no pup in this litter was going to be a good fit for me (say, this particular female was going to be an extremely strong dog, as it seems some of her brothers will be... or conversely, not being confident or having a lot of drive suitable for a working dog), then my breeder would let me wait on another litter, or let me go elsewhere. It should be about finding a good match, not filling a crate "right now."

Truthfully, that's what I want too. May be a disappointment that I don't get a puppy, but if there isn't a good match for me, then it's best for me to wait..

LoveEcho 12-15-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee (Post 4673706)
Truthfully, that's what I want too. May be a disappointment that I don't get a puppy, but if there isn't a good match for me, then it's best for me to wait..

Exactly. And, if I was a pet buyer searching for a dog that will be strictly a pet, my breeder would have been honest and said that I should wait on another litter altogether. Pup's parents are beautiful and accomplished and that's really attractive to a lot of people even when searching for a pet, but I would think someone would rather wait on a good fit than buy a dog that will be too much for them simply because they want a puppy NOW.

Jax08 12-15-2013 11:32 AM

My breeder picked for me. I didn't know which one was mine until I picked him up. I asked at about 6 weeks and she was didn't know. At 7 weeks, she told me it was NOT the black one (my preference). I couldn't be happier Seger. It's really about trusting your breeder's knowledge.