German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Decisions...... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/381250-decisions.html)

Sp00ks 12-14-2013 10:29 AM

Decisions......

Basically I thought this might be a fun thread. In reality there will likely not be much of a decision to make....

Background:
-always owned females (I have never owned a male dog in my lifetime)
-last Shepherd was all white

I spoke to the breeder yesterday. We pick up our pup on New Years day. Our breeder is choosing our pup based on temperament alone. We gave her full creative license otherwise. She knows our situation and has a lot of experience. We trust her.

Litter:
3 black females, 2 black males and 2 bicolor males
1 black male, 1 black female has been ruled out.
so that leaves 2 black females, 1 black male, 2 bicolor males.

Last night my wife and I were just discussing if we had the choice of the remaining pups, what would we choose?? Temperament aside.

That would leave us with two decisions. Male or Female? and Solid black or bicolor? Bicolor would be an obvious commitment to male as well.

I know there really isn't enough information about us here. Our last female was pretty independant. She only wanted attention in very brief encounters. Drove my wife nuts. She is home with the dog all day everyday and it will be a companion, protector and we hope to train at least some service aspects as my wife is mildly (?) disabled. (use of only one arm, chronic pain)

As for color, we like both. If the pups take after Dad (Belgian import), they will be 90% black with only the feet and part of the legs being tan. Right now they have little black highlights on the toes. Obviously, the solid back ones are just that. Mom is solid black, gorgeous, shiny, wavy coat. (Czech import)

So, give me some opinions...Ask questions...I can post a few of the breeders pics if needed of the adults. I have a few of the pups.

lhczth 12-14-2013 02:52 PM

Go with the puppy that will best suit you, male or female.

doggiedad 12-14-2013 03:12 PM

find a reputable breeder, pick a color, pick a gender, train
and socialize. that's how what i do. train and socialize
and you're going to have a very nice dog. good luck
with the new pup.

Sp00ks 12-14-2013 03:17 PM

Ok, maybe it isn't as fun as I thought it could be. Nvm.

onyx'girl 12-14-2013 04:10 PM

If I could choose a pup(and they were all similar in temperament) I'd go with a bicolor male. I prefer males, and bicolor over black.

Harry and Lola 12-14-2013 04:22 PM

In my experience, the bitches are much more aloof, like their space and more independent than the males.

Males are big sooks, they are more affectionate and love being right near you whereas females will be near enough to see you but not near you (usually)

Perhaps a male would be better suited to your wife

Sp00ks 12-14-2013 04:58 PM

See, thankyou Onyx and H&L. Thats what I was looking for.

When Mia was with us, we had talked about a solid black shepherd and not that I ever looked very hard, I hardly ever saw one, no less a pup. This litter came along and we liked both parents and jumped on it. Now, I'm also leaning toward black/tan vs. black.

I have heard that about the male temperament and that pretty much describes our females over the years. This also helps confirm what our breeder was telling us.

My wife chased an escape artist terrier around the neighborhood throughout her childhood. That is a concern of hers. He was in love with a female Great Dane on the next block it seems. :eek:

I appreciate the feedback.

blehmannwa 12-14-2013 05:02 PM

Havoc is my first male and I can not get over how sweet and affectionate he is. I'm home alone with him a lot and only rarely does he leave the room that I'm in. If the pit is being a jerk, he'll go upstairs to nap but he's usually within arm's length of me.

onyx'girl 12-14-2013 05:05 PM

My male is intact and he's never wandered or tried to escape due to his hormones....and he has been around plenty of females in heat when we train.
Marking is a training issue, you can control it.

Cusack's Human 12-14-2013 06:17 PM

My pick would be bicolor male, obviously LOL I have had the same experience with our intact male as onyxgirl. He never leaves our side. And I have also heard females described as independent but I couldn't tell you that from experience.
Congratulations on the new pup!! :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App