Boy or Girl - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boy or Girl

I've always personally had a girl dog and I'm not a 100% sure why...and now that I've narrowed my breeder down, and I've seen her breeding plans and put my bets on a certain pair planned to breed in February I'm all excited and made it a point to say a female is what I want...but now..I'm second guessing...something in me wants a male..and I'm not sure why.

I like the pair and I am absolutely in love with the male, it took me a few days to figure out that I want one of their puppies and I pray I get one. I stared at his their lineage and then oogled at his...I just freaked when I saw Lery Naspo in his lineage. I don't think she is related to Chari Naspo, but I'm sure somewhere their is a drop of Chari lineage in her somewhere, I mean the last name Naspo....does that mean they could be related in some small way.

I just find it funny that I choose that pair, then two days later I am staring at the lineage and see that? Could it be my gut guiding me or just me being looney?

Either way..I'm at a dilemma now on whether I think a girl or boy is what I would like...

What makes a girl and boy different (other than the obvious plumbing)?

Is a boy more aggressive with protecting or maybe a girl is more instinctual and intuitive than a boy?

Thoughts, experience?

Kodiak (called Kodi)-born summer of 2009 (4 years old)
FortheLoveofChari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the girls are more suspicious and territorial than the males.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think it makes a difference across the board, other than that females tend to be smaller and thus might be better if you want to do things where a smaller size is advantageous. Also, males tend to be more prone to urine marking, which can be annoying (and in Crookytail's case has gotten us a couple of NQs for urinating in the ring).

There are individual lines and litters where the males seem to have a tendency toward certain personality traits and the females seem to have other personality traits, but I don't know anything about the specific litter/lines that you're considering. It might be something to ask the breeder.

Beyond that, I personally don't put a lot of stock in gender stereotypes.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've always had female dogs. While I was married, all our female dogs would take to me and the males would take to my wife. Just my experience. Females>males. Oh yeah! Females don't hump legs as much :-/
MatildaTheMalevolent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's widely expressed that males take longer to mature (2-3yrs), but outside of that its mostly anecdotal. People will claim that one is more protective of the home while one is more protective of the family. One is more affectionate, one is more independent, etc. Really, you see both sexes behaving in a host of ways.
The sex of the new puppy would be a bit more of a consideration if you already have another dog - the opposite gender is usually recommended. Even then however, there are many people who have multiple dogs of the same sex.

Last edited by Vagus; 12-11-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Boy and Girl dogs will love you equally and it is a hard decision to make.
A boy will be more dominant and unless a male is training him, he will be harder to control.

If you're wondering about aggression and which might be a better guard dog think about it this way: A boy dog will be like a man. If he hears a noise outside at night a man might get out of bed a take a look through the window but not worry too much. If the noise continues and they realise something is wrong they will go out a be much more aggressive than a female would.

A girl dog is like a mother. If she heard the noise she would go out straight away because of her motherly protection over the family, although she wouldn't be as aggressive.

Whichever one you pick will be a lovely dog anyway.
BTW: I have a girl. She is lovely!
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena9012 View Post
A boy will be more dominant and unless a male is training him, he will be harder to control.

If you're wondering about aggression and which might be a better guard dog think about it this way: A boy dog will be like a man. If he hears a noise outside at night a man might get out of bed a take a look through the window but not worry too much. If the noise continues and they realise something is wrong they will go out a be much more aggressive than a female would.

A girl dog is like a mother. If she heard the noise she would go out straight away because of her motherly protection over the family, although she wouldn't be as aggressive.
...no.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And no again.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Line-breeding for the progency of Sumo Von Der Dewhaus and Blackthorn's Oda

This is the pairing I'm looking forward to :3

My fingers are crossed.

And I love your guys' feedback. I can see where everyone is coming from on it and it's given me food for thought.

My fiance's dog Kodi is a bit of a fussy butt when it comes to noises, he tends to bark almost at any noise that is suspicious. My worry with him is that he might make the puppy a little paranoid, but I'm sure with the training that she/he would be going through would offset his influence. Kodi is purely a family dog while my hope is that with the training the puppy would be going through would allow her to be versatile. When my fiance isn't home she/he would be the guardian of the home and if things ever hit the fan I'm hoping maybe training that would allow her to be another tool in my fiance's handbag so to speak...but, if that didn't work out as planned, if something with her...or him didn't pane out...like drive, then that is fine...she or he would still have a loving home :3

Kodiak (called Kodi)-born summer of 2009 (4 years old)

Last edited by FortheLoveofChari; 12-11-2013 at 10:50 PM.
FortheLoveofChari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Males for me.
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.