Considering a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering a GSD

A few questions...

1-I know GSDs are notorious for shedding. We have hardwood floors. Quickest way to keep this at bay? Is it even possible to keep it at bay? If so, I'd love to hear your routine.

2-I'd love a GSD that doesn't require me to walk him daily. I have two kids under the age of two. My husband is military and can run with the dog on the weekends but during the week it's nearly impossible....especially if it's too cold for me to take the girls out. It wouldn't be fair to have a dog inside that can't get enough exercise. Is it even possible to get a dog that requires little exercise of this breed and can you tell as a pup that they are going to be that way?

3-I would honestly rather have a dog closer to 1 yr old but my husband seems to think we have to spend good money to get a good dog. I don't disagree but there are exceptions to the rule. Would love to know how to go about finding an older puppy that is of decent quality.

Thanks!
acook0726 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you will not be able to exercise the dog daily, a german shepherd is not the right breed for your family.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

For shedding, just a lot of vacuuming! Make sure to keep the dog groomed so the hair falls out on the brush instead of the floor as much. Many breeders have older trained puppies available as well as young puppies. These dogs often cost more as they have put their time and effort into training them.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acook0726 View Post

2-I'd love a GSD that doesn't require me to walk him daily. I have two kids under the age of two. My husband is military and can run with the dog on the weekends but during the week it's nearly impossible....especially if it's too cold for me to take the girls out. It wouldn't be fair to have a dog inside that can't get enough exercise. Is it even possible to get a dog that requires little exercise of this breed and can you tell as a pup that they are going to be that way?
Even my couch potato 11 year old German Shepherd needs to be exercised at least twice a day. I know of no German Shepherd that would do well with only exercise on the weekends. A bored shepherd and young kids are a disaster waiting to happen.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acook0726 View Post
3-I would honestly rather have a dog closer to 1 yr old but my husband seems to think we have to spend good money to get a good dog. I don't disagree but there are exceptions to the rule. Would love to know how to go about finding an older puppy that is of decent quality.

Thanks!
This would be a perfect opportunity to speak to some of your local GSD rescues. They can try and help you find a dog that would fit right into your family routine. They would also help educate you with what a specific dog requires to keep them healthy and happy. A rescue will have already tested the dog with children etc. and let you know how much exercise the dog would require.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry but I have to agree that I don't think a gsd would be a good fit for you.

They are constant shedders, and if you have wood floors, well, they might get more than dust bunnies floating around, but lots of scratches.

These dogs are not couch potatoes, puppy or older, they need daily exercise, if they don't get it, they can be 'bears' to live with.

Having two kids under two, it will be like having TWO more with one puppy. ALso, don't want to discourage the 'rescue' route, but alot of rescues will not adopt out to people with toddlers..

Maybe a small non shedding breed of dog would be better suited to your situation

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I can't recommend a GSD for you either.

GSD's are not couch potatos.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
They are constant shedders, and if you have wood floors, well, they might get more than dust bunnies floating around, but lots of scratches.
Yep. My dogs have done a number on our hardwood floors. I don't mind -- floors are floors, they don't matter to me -- but what was pristine hard wood three years ago is now a mass of scratches and scuffs.

I'm going to agree with everyone else that a GSD would not be a good fit for the situation you've described. Puppies are mouthy and need a lot of attention and structured training; they're generally not a great combination with very young children.

The dog is going to need a lot more exercise than daily walks, too (a casual walk around the neighborhood is basically nothing), so if you can't even commit to doing that much, a GSD would not be a good match at all.

MAYBE a low-energy senior would fit the description you've provided, but I wouldn't even be confident about that much.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

yep, I have wood floors, and I don't mind either that my wood floors are definitely a mess of scratches

I will never have wall to wall carpeting, I will never have white furniture, I'll probably always have leather furniture I don't mind wiping the mud off the floors, or off my white appliances, walls, etc

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Speaking as a first time GSD owner, since February 2013, I can tell you that even as an adult with a fairly bad hip, this dog can go and go and go some more. He NEVER refuses yet another walk, even if he begins to favor his right leg a little more. We not only walk several times a day (with a little training mixed in) but play tug & ball until he gets bored. I have only seen him really worn out exactly ONCE since I got him.

If I am busy and skip one walk, I can tell a big difference in his behavior. He does not get nippy like my friend's Aussie does when she hasn't been exercised enough, but he can be less focused on listening to commands and just a real pain to handle.

GSD are awesome dogs, but you really should take their exercise requirements seriously.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
MyHans-someBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.