16-20 week old puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 16-20 week old puppy

Me and my husband are looking to get our very first GSD soon! We want a purebred regardless to whether they are registered or not, and we want one relatively young. My question is 16-20 weeks too old? We have found a woman who is giving hers up because she can no longer afford her and doesn't have enough time to spend with her... I have heard this is the age where the puppy is forming bad habits if not trained and socialized correctly. We are going today to look at the female puppy. Any advice?
EBHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

If the dog is sound, genetically speaking, it should not be a problem. Lots of people get dogs 6, 12, 18+ months old. Hope it works out!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you're concerned about the certainty the dog is a purebred then find a reputable breeder that only breeds and sells registered dogs so that you're certain you're getting what they promised. The registry should only be AKC (American Kennel Club) or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) if you're in North America. It will cost you more but the peace of mind is worth it, and you're not only buying the dog but a lifetime partnership with a breeder who can give you training and health advice and will honor warranties towards health issues like HD which is common in the breed.

Now as to age, the odds are stacked in your favour if the breeder and current owner have socialized, trained, and spent time preparing the puppy for the outside world. You can't expect a well behaved pup that knows all obedience plans at such a young age but basics can be laid and built upon. If the puppy is raised right it doesn't matter if the dog is 8 weeks, 8 months, or even 8 years old - they should adapt and adjust well to a new family.

I hope that helps

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Go and meet her. If you like her then you've got alot of the 'hard' puppy stuff out of the way and she's still young!

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got my dog at 16 weeks and things have been great so far. With a 3 year old kid at home, it was nice to miss on the little puppy stage. We met with her before we brought her home and knew it would be a great fit. She has been great so far. I definitely think you should meet the pup first and see how it goes. Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Redrider469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for you replies! Unfortunately the puppy we were looking into did not work out. But we have decided a 4 month old+ will be a better fit for us! We are currently talking to another woman who has a five month old AKC Reg. female and she is SO adorable. We are hoping she is the one!
EBHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

with all the success stories from people i have met and read about who adopt older gsd, i would not hesitate to take in a 16 + week old gsd.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

i prefer a 16+ week pup. with an 8 week pup you get loads of cuteness but potty/crate training sucks! i'd hate to have to take a pup out every 30 minutes especially with winter coming. plus 8 week sleeps alot and are fragile. 16 weeks they still have that puppy look but are ready to really play.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Im planning on meeting a 4 month old female GSD tomorrow for a possible adoption. My issue is that she doesn't have her shots or deworming and she's been an outside dog since they adopted her. The pup is most likely a BYB pup but I don't mind. What Im iffy about is if it might turn out to be a bad idea in the end. I feel that street, BYB, rescue, and breeder pups all deserve a fare chance and I know the pup will be happy in my home. I just don't want issues with temperament down the road. I would like to be able to do some advance training with her in the future if I adopt her...
Do you think Ill be able to?

I would like some opinions.
I know I can go to a Reputable breeder but I don't want to. My GSD I have now came from a "BYB" and she is amazing, insanely smart and I somewhat trained her myself with no behavioral or temperament problems but I got her at 7 weeks old. I socialized her with kids, loud noises, my cats and was able to break her hand bitting habit along with crate train and basic training real quick and so young. I just feel like I'm not going to have it easy doing all of this as it was with Porsche my current GSD.
N∆NDO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N∆NDO View Post
I would like to be able to do some advance training with her in the future if I adopt her...
Do you think Ill be able to?

I just feel like I'm not going to have it easy doing all of this as it was with Porsche my current GSD.
There's absolutely no reason you can't do advanced training with a dog that's four months or four years old when you get it. I've done both. Frankly I think the older dogs learn much faster than the very young puppies -- were it up to me, I'd never deal with a dog younger than 4 months again.

But no, it won't feel as easy as it does with your current dog. Not because it'll actually be harder, but because human memory is a strange and fickle thing.

Every time I get a new foster, I think some version of "holy *(&#$# why is this so HARD and ANNOYING, all my other dogs were so much easier."

Which is of course totally untrue. And usually it's been a month or less since my last foster. But that's all the time it takes to start forgetting just how bumpy those first few weeks and months can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.