help deciding if i should go with this breeder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default help deciding if i should go with this breeder?

hello guys, i need your help deciding if i should go with this breeder? this will be my first GSD. ive been browsing the internet made a few phone call asking friend and co-workers on how to get GSD that suitable in our lifestyle. But the more i read and watch the more confused i become

I talked to the breeder several times already asking a few questions. I live in Los Angeles and the breeder is like 60 miles away from where i live its within driving range. here is the website of the breeder

VON DAILY GERMAN SHEPHERDS
makokak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Well.....they are breeding untitled dogs.

And I'm not sure about the DM testing, can they really say absolutely that their puppies will never ever develop DM? Is the test really perfected to that point?
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would pass on this breeder honestly. I only see two dogs; male and female; and the dogs they're breeding dont appear to have any kind of titles on them. They claim their dogs are good for protection but I'm not seeing anything that says that's fact. I'd like to see, even showlines doing SOMETHING if the breeder claims they're good for this or that. They're piggy backing on the dogs dams and sires accomplishments. What are the accomplishments of the dogs actually being bred?

The following also bothers me because i'm seeing it as a messed up way of saying only showlines make good family members....

"
Show lines versus Working lines
It is very important for someone to understand the difference between show lines and working line German Shepherds because there is a vast difference. The working lines are exceptional at what they are bred to do. They have extremely high energy which makes them better for law enforcement when searching hours for a suspect or sniffing large areas for drugs. A working dog has to have something to do at all times or they will get bored. That kind of energy does not work well for a family and in a home atmosphere. We produce a line of German Shepherds that would be naturally protective, proven to be the best generation after generation and still have the calmness to be good with children. I found that in dogs with the West German Show Lines. To receive a top show rating of either a V or VA the German Shepherd Dog is required to be excellent in all fields. The hips have to be certified with either an "a" stamp or OFA, excellent conformation, obedience title (BH), pass an endurance test (AD), a courage test, bite work, and tracking which results in a Schutzhund title (SchH 1, 2 or 3). They cannot be distracted or show any aggression towards the judge, stud dogs or female dogs around them, but be ready to bite when asked too.

Our German Shepherd dogs are a big part of our lives, as you can see. Our dogs are not just breeding dogs to us they are part of our family. Our goal is to make your experience with your German Shepherd Dog as happy as ours. "

Considering there are SEVERAL members on this board alone and several more we don't even know that HAVE active working lines that are still family members, says a lot. I don't know. I wouldn't go to this breeder for my dog.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 02-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Can u guys recommend a breeder here in Los Angeles? Where to get a GSD puppy that will become a good family, companion and ready to protect the pack?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makokak View Post
Can u guys recommend a breeder here in Los Angeles? Where to get a GSD puppy that will become a good family, companion and ready to protect the pack?

I don't know of any breeders in that area. I am going to ask though if the breeder HAS to be in your area or if you'd be willing to have the puppy shipped to you? There are several good quality breeders we could recommend if you're willing to look further out.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

back in december i got a "huerta hof" puppy. robin is on here and she and carlos are amazing breeders. their dogs are outstanding.(she is pretty great too. has put up with questions and seems to just love to talk about her dogs. has stayed in touch and really seems to care about how the puppy is developing.) we live in new jersey and they are in Illinois. she shipped the pup and it was fine. i never felt worried thru any of it. check out her pups and talk to her....she is a member here.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
I don't know of any breeders in that area. I am going to ask though if the breeder HAS to be in your area or if you'd be willing to have the puppy shipped to you? There are several good quality breeders we could recommend if you're willing to look further out.
how about this one? this one a little far but am still willing to drive there
Canaan German Shepherds

thanks guys for the input!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

skip. I think those guys sound even worse.
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
how about this one?

Von Salerno World Class German Shepherds

thanks guys!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
skip. I think those guys sound even worse.
I am not personally into AmLines (or German Showlines) but ??????
I don't see any red flags on that second site.

Maybe the OP could narrow down what their lifestyle is, what they want to do with the dog etc. Learn about the different "types" of GSDs - Dogs from any of the various "types" could work in the situation mentioned.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.