help deciding if i should go with this breeder? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

hey guys, i need your input to this parents, i talked to the breeder last night and they just had a litter yesterday. I dont plan on getting into a show, all i want is a good companion, calm house dog.

Im no expert, can you help me please here is the link Rikkor x Dancer

Thank u guys in advance!
makokak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Avoid any breeder who uses the word "large" or "oversize" to describe their dogs. Where are you finding these breeders?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Avoid any breeder who uses the word "large" or "oversize" to describe their dogs. Where are you finding these breeders?
akc.org
makokak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The AKC is simply a registry for purebred dogs, just becasue a breeder is listed there does not mean the dogs are great dogs. However: if a breeder signs the breeder's code of ethics there is some indication they are training, titling and health testing the breeding stock.

I used to get jazzed up about parents being titled. IMHO I do not think it is required. I DO think it is required that there be some indication of the dogs ability to work and some indication of soundness, yes titles on parents do that but so do titles on grandparents. If there are 5 generations with no title in sight I would say walk away really fast. It is hoped that these kennels are working and training the dogs and seeking some titles.

The Daily kennel is breeding a Theishof female. Surely Hiedi Theis sold her this dog for this purpose? I hope so anyway. Although parents are not titled I like thse two dogs being bred.

The second link, Canaan, is American showlines and they show in conformation. If you want an American showline, they look fine to me.

Salerno is a West German Showline breeder. These dogs look okay too.

You said you wanted a showline for a family companion, any of these would probably be okay. Personally, I prefer the West Germn Showline over the American but it is a personal choice. I have both American and German, I started with American and switched to German showlines. My Kayos is American, Havoc and Lydi are German.

Many on the board prefer the working line dogs and are trying to steer you there. You get what you want and what will work for you. As I said any of those breeders would be adequate for what you are looking for for your family. There are many working line dogs that might work out in your family too.

As for showlines not being able to work---- phooey on that. I do not do Schutzhund becasue I don't like it, I have tried it with Havoc and he surely has the ability and both of his parents are titled at 2 and 3 level. I have been doing obedience and agility and tracking with showlines both American and German for almost 30 years.

Good luck and show us pictures when you get your baby.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG2,UNA,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG2,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RA,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The last one is a huge NO.

The other three I would have to visit to know more. The litter you posted could be OK. There might be coated dogs in the litter (hard to tell about the female). The mother is pretty. You need to talk to these breeders, meet them and meet their dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default help deciding if i should go with this breeder?

Calm *house* dog ok, but please know a German shepherd dog, no matter show line or working line, has A LOT of energy and will take a lot of exercise, both mentally and physically.

I would look into shipping. A good solid nerve puppy should have no problems with it. And there are lots of good breeders on this site.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by makokak View Post
guys, how about this third one? i found this in akc website.

Von Salerno World Class German Shepherds

thanks guys!

These are very nice dogs, I've really liked a lot of their dogs, also check out West Coast German Shepherds, Barbara has a beautiful female long coat puppy for sale.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

Default Why Avoid Breeders that use Large to Describe Their Dogs

I'm just curious, why it would be correct to avoid breeders that use the word large to describe their dogs? Should one look only at breeders that use the word small or average? Not trying to be a smartass, but I wished that you would go into more detail.
KeystonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystonGSD View Post
I'm just curious, why it would be correct to avoid breeders that use the word large to describe their dogs? Should one look only at breeders that use the word small or average? Not trying to be a smartass, but I wished that you would go into more detail.

I believe that it might be a reaction to some few breeders who delibertly breed way oversize GSD's. some even advertise 30"+ male GSD's for example!

"Large" being a key word meaning way over standard (24-26" for males).
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Thanks Laurie for the recommendation. Unfortunately I don't have anything available at this time, although the OP is welcome to contact me and possibly be added to a waiting list. Thanks again and good luck to the OP in your search for the right puppy for your family.

WestCoastGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.