Choosing the runt of the litter? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam View Post
Perhaps if you could provide a very general (i.e. state only) description of your geographic location and maybe more details about the type of dogs you were drawn to in your job, members could give you the names of some breeders in your area as a starting point in your research. The working and showline dogs are very different in temperament, frequently in size and usually in drive levels that require varying levels of exercise and mental stimulation. Matching the dog to your lifestyle and goals will go a long way in creating a long and happy relationship for both of you. A good breeder will ask for enough information about you and your preferences to steer you in the right direction, but a thoughtful self-evaluation about your wish list for a companion will make the process a bit easier and more grounded--those cute puppies can turn almost anyone into an impulse buyer! It is wonderful that you have parental support for your endeavor, even though you sound like a responsible young man. Take your time and do your homework--it is an exciting search and the background work you do will be rewarded.
Ok I live in south Florida. A GSD was the dog that my boss tested me with to see if I could hold my ground (this dog was abnormally large, had no manners/obedience, hated being on a lead and was notorious for fence fighting). I think that dog was suppose to break me because I could not handle that dog whatsoever, so I thought my chances of getting the job was over, but then my boss told me that he couldn't do any better with that dog either. I initially started out hating the GSD breed but over time I grew very attached to the GSDs at my job (especially the crazy one that no one could handle). Initially my vet told me to consider pit bull mixes, dobermans, or a belgian malinois. The doberman was too tall in my opinion, and my insurance company threatened to cancel my policy if I got anything with pit bull in it. Then it suddenly came to me that the GSD would be perfect since I tend to favor them at my job and I tend to pet/play with them more than other breeds.

I am actually having a very hard time finding a reliable breeder in my area since it seems like german shepherd puppies are everywhere.

Basically here is what I am looking for in a dog, a jogging partner that can be calm indoors, be a companion to myself and my mom, be able to frequent the beach/park/fishing areas with me, be a good watchdog (I only need a dog that has an imposing look/reputation or a deep bark since my house has been robbed 3 times in the last 8 months; and yes I have an alarm system).

My mom actually really wants a German Shepherd but the only thing stopping this the height. We used to have a female golden retriever so I am trying to looking for a GSD around that height.

Sorry for the rambling.
TylerK454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've had three GSDs, a female and two males. The female was the smallest of her litter and the males were both the smallest males. The female was 21" and 50lbs, one male is 24.5" and 75lbs and the other is about the same but will probably fill out 75-80lbs. The female was given to me as an adult but the males I both picked and was happy to pick the small male (I was picking based on temperament and other aspects of conformation). I wasn't looking for a "runt" per se (not a dog that is *too* small or has some runty health problem or isn't getting enough milk) but yeah, there's always going to be a dog that's the smallest in the litter and it would not be wrong to expect that dog to mature to be smaller than the others however I would pick based on a lot of other traits as well.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerK454 View Post
Is there always a pup smaller than the others in a litter or is that like a once every so often thing?
There is usually in a litter one that is the biggest and one that is the smallest, but again, go by the breeder's recommendations that the pup will suit your lifestyle. Tell your mom, not to worry about size, it is the temperament. My Sting who was the friendliest in the litter but the biggest , outweighs me - I haven't found that to be a problem. Have you considered a Malinois - they usually are smaller than GSDs and are high energy since you want a running companion, they are also naturally protective.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
There is usually in a litter one that is the biggest and one that is the smallest, but again, go by the breeder's recommendations that the pup will suit your lifestyle. Tell your mom, not to worry about size, it is the temperament. My Sting who was the friendliest in the litter but the biggest , outweighs me - I haven't found that to be a problem. Have you considered a Malinois - they usually are smaller than GSDs and are high energy since you want a running companion, they are also naturally protective.
I was told that Malinois don't make good family pets and they don't have an off switch so I didn't even consider them.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you looking at working or show line? Instead of worrying about the size and handling skill of you and your mom, look at breeders who breed for temperament, biddability and within the standards. A larger structured dog that is biddable and a bit handler sensitive will be just as easy to control. Some of the smaller higher driven dogs can be a handful. Size isn't really what matters when it comes to control. If you are on fb, here is a link of a breeder page, with kennels listed(they have to be approved by the page admin) of course it is a selection, but at least you have more to go on. They are very friendly and willing to help point you in the right direction, if you let them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/100827050053129/
This was posted by a member on that page, she's also a member here(Blackthorn):
My rescue puppy came back to me--she's looking for an active home with at least one other dog. She's smaller (about 50 pounds), spayed, AKC papered, about 8 months old. She loves to play ball and is really easy to train--very human focused. I took some new pictures today. She'd be ideal for someone looking for an agility or flyball dog... https://picasaweb.google.com/1006194...35/RescueChloe

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-10-2013 at 10:02 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I've had three GSDs, a female and two males. The female was the smallest of her litter and the males were both the smallest males. The female was 21" and 50lbs, one male is 24.5" and 75lbs and the other is about the same but will probably fill out 75-80lbs. The female was given to me as an adult but the males I both picked and was happy to pick the small male (I was picking based on temperament and other aspects of conformation). I wasn't looking for a "runt" per se (not a dog that is *too* small or has some runty health problem or isn't getting enough milk) but yeah, there's always going to be a dog that's the smallest in the litter and it would not be wrong to expect that dog to mature to be smaller than the others however I would pick based on a lot of other traits as well.
Do you mind if I ask where/who you got your shepherds from? Your description of your dogs sounds like what I might be looking for.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Are you looking at working or show line? Instead of worrying about the size and handling skill of you and your mom, look at breeders who breed for temperament, biddability and within the standards. A larger structured dog that is biddable and a bit handler sensitive will be just as easy to control. Some of the smaller higher driven dogs can be a handful. Size isn't really what matters when it comes to control. If you are on fb, here is a link of a breeder page, with kennels listed(they have to be approved by the page admin) of course it is a selection, but at least you have more to go on. They are very friendly and willing to help point you in the right direction, if you let them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/100827050053129/
I was told by my vet to steer clear of show line shepherds since they are badly bred and are not what german shepherds are supposed to be so I guess working line?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerK454 View Post
I was told that Malinois don't make good family pets and they don't have an off switch so I didn't even consider them.
Not all. And there some GSDs that one could say the same of. Check out the Malinois Rescue site and the Malinois breed page in the AKC site. They are beautiful dogs and very loving and devoted to their family.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah, my runt in my last litter was same size as siblings by 8 wks. All my litters are uniform in size. They usually are a bit taller than mom. Would love to find a male to breed to that will produce puppies with her that are her size. The puppies have not been out of breed standard, just more toward the top of the standard. And the hormones (sex organs) regulate growth. So keeping a puppy intact until it is done growing helps to keep it within the standard. There have been a few rescues posted on FB lately that might fit your needs. Also there was just an 8 month old posted someplace too for sale. Thinking more of what you want them for and older might be better for a jogging partner sooner.
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dawn, was it the same one that I linked? Sounds like a wonderful dog and perfect for what the OP wants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.