Is it difficult to find a German shepherd breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Is it difficult to find a German shepherd breeder

Hello,

Someday in like 2-5 years I want to get a German shepherd. I know this is a little too early though. A friend of mine told me it took her 5 years to find the perfect breeder. On my free time I looked around on webs and its hard to fine German shepherd breeders with straight backs. I don't like the breeders where the GSD's back or roached or sagged to the ground. That is absolutely horrible. However, I heard what they are should in the picture isn't exact what their backs actually look like. I also live in CA and looked for GSDs on the West Coast. Here are some breeders I found though Herrenstolz German Shepherds - Testimonials California German Shepherd Puppies for sale, - Deblyn's German Shepherds - Stevinson, California German Shepherd Breeders Puppies Protection Omegashepherds.com. Also what does SCH1 SCH2 SCH3 mean? Is this a bad or good thing? I heard from friends that this means level of prey drive or whatever. I would like a breeder that breeds healthy GSDs, great quantity, no sagged or roached backs, more like old fashion breeders.

I am a 17 year old boy and have my own Labradoodle. I take care of German shepherds walk, sit, etc. I have for a long time for some years now. German shepherds are my favorite breed of dog and I'm highly obsessed with them. I love high energy dogs and doing lots of outdoor activities with dogs. I have my own dog walking dog sitting business, regular customer to the local dog park. I don't know why I just feel a little worried that when the time comes for me to get a German shepherd a lot of them might just be roached and sagged backs and not quite the same as old fashion GSDs. I might get a rescue first since its cheaper.
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi Lobobear:

My suggestion would be to learn as much as you can about the breed. What it was and what it is now.

Once you understand the breed some, then start thinking about what you want your dog to do. There are different lines for different focus.

Some dogs do have roached and or sloped backs but unless you are familiar with stacking, you may not be able to tell. On some of the sites you brought up that could be the case.The dogs are placed in that position for show or pictures. SCH1 SCH2 SCH3 are titles that dogs can earn by participating in the sport of schutzhund. SCH3 the highest.

Breeders is a very long topic on it's own and people often disagree on breeders. If you study the breed, decide the preference you want then finding the breeder will be less of a task. Visit breeders and you will begin to see the difference.
Good luck and keep checking back.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Where in CA are you?
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks don't matter as much once you learn more... there are many more things to prioritize.
Yoschi's_Pet_Human is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

@Andaka I don't like giving out where I live, makes me uncomfortable I live in CA.
@Jack's Dad I actually have a lot of knowledge on the breed all ready. that doesn't mean researching is far from over.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We ask where in a state one is as a reference point. There could very well be a breeder pretty well near you. Thats the only reason we ask. Example, I'm in Colorado but my location says which city. Thats all anyone knows. They'd have to know me personally to know exactly where. Its a relatively large city too. I have a couple breeders close by in Denver which is roughly an hours drive from the springs. I'm not trying to push you. Just trying to explain why the question is asked. If I were looking for a breeder nearby and I said my location is Colorado Springs, anyone with knowledge of breeders within a three hour distance from me could give me a referall to check out those specific breeders.

As far as sloped backs, more often than not, it's due to the stacked position of the dog. If you were to look at pictures of a stacked dog and then view pictures of the dog in a relax stance, you'd see the back is straight.

All the abbreviations you'll see usually have something to do with a certification or a title. CGC is the Canine Good Citizen certificate, as an example.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 01-28-2013 at 09:09 PM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

@KZoppa thanks for the advice ! Ok so I'll give it a shot I live in the Bay Area, but I would like to find a breeder someday in a few years along the west coast. Traveling will be fine with me. Anyone know breeders that's like 3 hours or a little more?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

If so I would love to know the websites to add to my document on GSD breeders!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

examples: a quick search reveals this breeder supposedly close to your area....

Covy Tucker Hill German Shepherd Breeders - Home

Also found several links for GSD rescues. Keep in mind, breeders can also ship a pup to you if you find a breeder you prefer several states away.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

general search of GSD breeders on the West Coast reveals....

DM Free German Shepherds, German Shepherd Puppies, German Shepherd Puppy For Sale, German Shepherd Breeder, German Shepherd Dogs, German Shepherd Stud Dog, West German German Shepherds, German Shepherds California, West Coast German Shepherds

German Shepherd puppies for sale California

Von Salerno World Class German Shepherds

German Shepherd Dog, True Haus Kennels

Keep in mind there are different lines aka showlines vs working lines and in each bracket so to speak there are different branches within them as well. It would be best to learn about the different lines and make a list of desired traits. Some lines are easier than others to handle, especially for a new GSD owner.
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.