Is it difficult to find a German shepherd breeder - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

@KZoppa is it fine to research German shepherd breeders pretty early or is it kind of weird? To me it's similar when teachers pressure students to fine jobs or a college or something.

Also what are good questions to ask the GSD breeders? Should I ask about raw diet too?
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobobear44 View Post
@KZoppa is it fine to research German shepherd breeders pretty early or is it kind of weird? To me it's similar when teachers pressure students to fine jobs or a college or something.

Also what are good questions to ask the GSD breeders? Should I ask about raw diet too?

No its not weird. You're wanting to learn. Why would that be weird? I became an obedience trainer because I love working with dogs. I enjoyed training my dogs that much. For me, if there's something I want to learn about, I jump into it. And there's a great deal to learn about shepherds. Honestly, I'm still learning and likely always will be.

As far as questions for breeders, having not personally gotten my current dogs from a breeder, it really depends on what YOU want to know about them and be prepared to answer questions about you. A good breeder will want to know about you and your plans for one of their pups/adult dogs as would expect to answer questions from you as well.

I know a biggie for me is what health checks are done on the dogs being bred? Are they cleared of hip dysplasia? Any known health problems from other pups they've produced? If it a first breeding for either dog? If yes, what do they hope to produce from it? If not a first breeding, what did previous litters go on to do? Does the breeder have referals from previous clients you can review? Do the dogs do any sports such as schutzhund? flyball? obedience trials? agility? herding? any number of things.

Basically just make a list of questions you want to ask and have them ready when you start talking to breeders. There are several breeders on this forum who post regularly and as well as tons of knowledgeable people as well. I've learned a great deal on this forum and made some really great friends in the process.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As far as a raw diet goes, thats entirely up to you. I dont feed my dogs a raw diet because I cant afford it on top of not having the patience to balance it all out properly so I stick with dry food.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

It's so hard to wait, but so nice to see that you're willing to wait until the time is right! I'm sure whatever dog you end up with, will be a lucky pup indeed!

Here is a link I found with some good info on different types of GSD's. They are all quite different. If you can, go out and watch the dogs working in different sports, etc. so you can get a feel for them and also maybe see if there's sport you're interested in. I find it really good to get involved in a sport with them, as they really thrive on having some sort of a job to do.

Von hmke - German Shepherd Dogs

Working lines are the ones with the straighter backs, but they can be a challenge for a novice handler as the energy they have could power a small city! Also, the way they are stacked (stood up for photos) can sometimes make it look like they are over angulated, when in fact they aren't. If you look at enough pictures, you'll see the difference.

Keep doing your homework and by the time you're ready for your dog, you'll have a wealth of knowledge to draw from!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lobobear44, interning at a kennel is a great idea. Also you might want to consider volunteering for a German Shepherd Rescue organization. They might get in different lines of Shepherds (along with mixes) that you can work with and get a feel for the different types of lines.
I think it's really great that you are doing your homework and asking a lot of questions. When the time is right for you I'm sure that you will be more than prepared for your GSD.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

@KZoppa the thing is since I take care of 3 German shepherds and spend lots of time with them. Since Lobo the sable German shepherd is 16 months and I see him every week since he was 8 weeks so I see him like mine then I say to myself, "aw you don't need to get a GSD you have Lobo!" Then my mind for some reason keeps switches back and forth from that to, "Look for a GSD breeder to get a pup in your later future after high school!" The other thing is I live in the Bay Area with several colleges including a UC and a CSU and community colleges. So if I decide to go to college around here than transfer to CSU I might get a GSD. My mind just doesn't make up its mind! By the way, Lobo is like my best buddy as well as the other 2 and Riley my own Labradoodle.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

@KZoppa is it fine to copy and paste the questions and some online and send them to a breeder or is that copyright?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
@KZoppa is it fine to copy and paste the questions and some online and send them to a breeder or is that copyright?
Are you sure your 17? Also, patience is a virtue and if you think it's bad waiting 3-5 years for a GSD than wait till you have a week left before you can pick your puppy up.
shawk2424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #29 (permalink)

I would not say it is difficult to find a breeder, but it might be difficult to find the RIGHT breeder for you. I am not too proud to admit that we found some breeders in our state, but they weren't exactly what we were looking for. We bought one anyway because there was not a breeder specializing in what we were looking for, and now are paying the price. If the breeder isn't into exactly what you are looking for in a dog, don't go with them just because they are close.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op, what lines are the gsd you work with? that may be good guide into the type of gsd you want.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.