German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Finding the Right Puppy (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/)
-   -   Dark Black and Red Deep Color Puppy Wanted (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/202186-dark-black-red-deep-color-puppy-wanted.html)

golson 01-12-2013 07:58 PM

Dark Black and Red Deep Color Puppy Wanted

All,
Hello and this is my first post here to the forums but previous owner of a GSD. I like to first say that I am going to buy another GSD as my first one had to be put down at the age of 12 months with Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). It was an un-pleasent experience and my family is just now getting over this after 8 years. Very hard for a grown man to take your loving puppy to be put a sleep. Very hard.........Some people might wonder why I did this but many know that at the time the medication was a lifetime event for the dog and very expensive. I felt it too much for the dog to put him through all this for his whole life....Enough said.

Well I am looking to replace my last GSD which had a great red pigment to her and plan on naming him the same name "Blitz".....

Can someone help me find a deep red GSD for both companionship and protection? I live here in Huntsville Alabama and willing to pay for shipping.

Thank you everyone.......greg

LifeofRiley 01-12-2013 08:07 PM

So sorry about the loss of your dog.

Have you considered looking to adopt or foster a young GSD? I will be upfront and say that I am a bit biased having always chosen to rescue. However, I think that fostering is great way to honor the passing of a dog you loved. Through that experience, you may find what you never expected... i.e. a new best friend.

msvette2u 01-12-2013 09:14 PM

Epi is treatable, I was wondering myself if the vet didn't recommend treatment?

golson 01-12-2013 09:55 PM

Besides the EPI ordeal can someone help me out with a recommended breeder?

Bigdogsolo 01-12-2013 10:37 PM

Sometimes some of us get too judgemental. Lighten up.
If you don't want to help a person and don't have anything good to say......maybe you should say nothing!!!

LifeofRiley 01-12-2013 10:44 PM

@Golson...

What are you looking for in a new dog? Perhaps, if you provide more detail beyond color... In fact, I am surprised your post is so "looks" focused when your experience with your past dog should make you more oriented to seek first, and foremost, a "healthy" dog.

GsdLoverr729 01-12-2013 10:49 PM

Black and red tends to be West German showlines. These tend to be the most expensive lines (not always, but usually). You definitely want to go with a reputable breeder, which many members here can point you towards, so that you get the best odds of a healthy pup. You can also sometimes find really great WGSL pups in shelters and rescues.

What area are you in? Would you be willing to have the puppy shipped to you?

vicky2200 01-12-2013 11:01 PM

I really don't think anyone is being judgmental. If someone asked me to help them find a dog and then told me they put their 1 year old to sleep when he could have been treated, I would suggest they not get another dog. If YOU can't financially care for the dog, you find him a rescue.

MissMetric 01-13-2013 04:15 PM

German Shepherd Puppies For Sale | German Shepherd Breeders | Trained Protection Dogs

Black and reds are almost all he deals with. Pricey little pups, but their pedigrees are pretty good and they have a health guarantee for up to a year.

It is a large commercial breeder though, so you could probably find equal quality for less if you're in no rush.

arby665 01-13-2013 04:23 PM

I will send you some links when I get home. I'm not real good at using my phone for this stuff. As far as fostering, most of the rescues in this area have mostly pit mixes or tiny dogs. The chance of finding a GSD from rescue in Huntsville is pretty slim.