Looking to get my first puppy. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking to get my first puppy.

I'm looking to get my first puppy. Have had dogs all my life but all have been rescues of one kind or another. The best by far was a GSD with a just bit husky or Malamute in his blood. At my age this will almost certainly be my last dog and I would like a shot at having another great animal. All my dogs have been “good dogs”, the last was a rather troubled rescue that eventually earned his GCCC after nearly a year of no-force training by myself under the direction of a professional trainer. We have three miniature horses and an 800lb pig named Boog. I have grave doubts about the ethics of breeding for show (looks) as opposed to breeding for temperament, function and health and so I am uneasy about dealing with that side of the dog world. We are located in the very rural mountains of northern North Carolina. Willing to travel ~200 miles, perhaps more.

Any tips, thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
elderNerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Ak9

Hello, I'm also in the process and have narrowed down my choices to Von der Falkenhein AK9 German Shepherd Breeder German Shepherd Puppies specifically the breeding of Jerry and Loretta Line-breeding for the progency of Jerry von der Hube and VD Loretta Vepeden
Best wishes on your search this will be my first dog ever and the process of finding breeder/litter can be overwhelming. GSD forum has become invaluable to me on this journey.
lourdes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually the tips for getting that first puppy are probably endless and like most things that you do in life common sense will carry you a long way. It will do a lot when you are thinking about getting that first puppy.
sophia_dave101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophia_dave101 View Post
Actually the tips for getting that first puppy are probably endless and like most things that you do in life common sense will carry you a long way. It will do a lot when you are thinking about getting that first puppy.

Thank you; been locating by internet searches and culling by phone conversation. I think we've found a breeder. I didn't think to ask about price in our first phone conversation, and there's no price on their site that I could find. I have an email request for some idea and will call if no response to email over the weekend. We can't spend more than $2k for the dog and would like to spend less. Based on previous experience with our trainer we expect to spend >$1k on training (and to find it worth every penny). Anyway that really makes spending more for the dog difficult for us to justify. But we need a breeder competent enough and experienced enough and serious enough to properly evaluate puppies and match them to the needs of their clients. So I have concerns that our budget may not be adequate. Thoughts on that?

edit:
regarding first post: GCCC is what the pre-senile call CGC

Last edited by elderNerd; 01-18-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderNerd View Post
edit:
regarding first post: GCCC is what the pre-senile call CGC
Hahaha!!

Have you ruled out having a puppy shipped? There are many VERY good breeders out there - you shouldn't limit yourself to a set area if you want a puppy from a competent breeder.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
Have you ruled out having a puppy shipped? There are many VERY good breeders out there - you shouldn't limit yourself to a set area if you want a puppy from a competent breeder.
Yes, that would simplify things greatly but before deciding I want to talk to the breeder face to face, see them work with dogs, see how their dogs live etc. I could extend the driving radious to ~300 miles.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lourdes View Post
Hello, I'm also in the process and have narrowed down my choices to Von der Falkenhein AK9 German Shepherd Breeder German Shepherd Puppies specifically the breeding of Jerry and Loretta Line-breeding for the progency of Jerry von der Hube and VD Loretta Vepeden
Best wishes on your search this will be my first dog ever and the process of finding breeder/litter can be overwhelming. GSD forum has become invaluable to me on this journey.
+1 for Von Falkenhein in reidsville, nc.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to CelticGlory

There are many great show lines and working lines, you also have some breeders who cross these lines as well. Von Lotta is a good breeder located in GA. Their pet puppies are priced $1500-$2000, their show quality puppies are more.

I would look into breeders who have older puppies that hold them back and decide they would do better in other homes as well.

CelticGlory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have talked to the breeder by phone. Their prices are completely within reason and I have arranged of us to meet them in a couple of weeks. I will not (and would not) select the puppy, the breeder will. I don't think one could overstate the importance of that. I want to feel comfortable about them being the one making the decision, and that they know us well enough to fully utilize their skills in that process. Of course, in the end it's a craps shoot played on a Gaussian field and I'm just hoping to nudge the odds in our favor.

In any case I thank you all for the feed back. I will post a picture of the pup when we get one.

Thanks again,

elderNerd
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderNerd View Post
I have talked to the breeder by phone. Their prices are completely within reason and I have arranged of us to meet them in a couple of weeks. I will not (and would not) select the puppy, the breeder will. I don't think one could overstate the importance of that. I want to feel comfortable about them being the one making the decision, and that they know us well enough to fully utilize their skills in that process. Of course, in the end it's a craps shoot played on a Gaussian field and I'm just hoping to nudge the odds in our favor.

In any case I thank you all for the feed back. I will post a picture of the pup when we get one.

Thanks again,

elderNerd
Which breeder are you considering? I can only speak from my personal experience with our past breeder and can easily say that she is an expert judgement of character and knows her dogs well. You will not go wrong letting her (AK9/Birgit) make the selection on your behalf.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.