Accidental Inbreeding by brother sister - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
...breeding a bitch who is young or otherwise shouldn't be bred...
I think this is the crux of the issue. The bitch in the situation the OP describes is too young to be bred. It doesn't even matter who the sire is; she shouldn't be bred and there's a reason for that, and the puppies may suffer for it in ways that aren't immediately obvious (again, going back to horses...foals from too-young mothers don't necessarily look stunted in their first few years of life, but their performance as adults is consistently lacking).

This bitch shouldn't have been bred. It's further complicated by the fact that the sire shouldn't be bred due to a lack of health testing, and he is also unproven even with more suitable bitches. There's also some speculative evidence that too-young sperm is prone to defects as well, just as the sperm of elderly males is...both genders have their prime, after all.

I think every "oops" litter has to be evaluated individually. I also think this particular one as presented by the OP is kind of sketchy and I'm glad the OP has decided to look for a more reliable breeder.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #82 (permalink)

Default Everyone and anyone

I bought a shepherd from a breeder 18 months ago. The dogs were the result of an accidental breeding of brother and half-sister. The price was right and the puppy seemed balanced. The parents were very balanced. unfortunately, the dog developed rampant fear based aggression beginning at 4 months and maxing out at two years of age. I had to put him down this morning. I don't know whether the inbreeding played a role but the dog was off the scale unbalanced around anyone not part of his family. A year of Socialization never helped him. IF YOU HEAR THE WORDS ACCIDENTAL BREEDING OR CLOSE MATCH RUN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION! Do not wind up with two children who think you are a monster because you had to put down their dog. STAY AWAY
mperillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is a reply to a 7 month old thread.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.