Accidental Inbreeding by brother sister - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

even if the pups turned out great I would not be comfortable with that breeder, sounds very unprofessional and if other problems arise who knows if they would be willing to resolve them..
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it was free, maybe. The problem here is with such a close breeding you really have no idea idea what traits are going to be magnified and what ones aren't. Could work out great and all the drives and tempermenttraits that are amazing stand out. Or it could be all the weaknessesand bad things are what comes through. Too many unknowns and not worth it to save a few bucks. Breeder never should have sold a pair of puppiesto these people.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Besides the inbreeding, its such a nice pedigree. Django is a well known local dog here. Very solid dog and a national level competitor. My guess is that the pups will probably turn out fine.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #34 (permalink)

I would also probably take one for free, nice pedigree, who knows how they'd turn out, would be interesting

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've known very reputable breeders who have had "OOPS" litters and I've heard of people who don't know jack about dogs also having "OOPS" litters. If both were giving the puppies away or selling them at a nominal cost, I'd take one from the breeder depending on the health/temperament/conformation of the sire and dam ... and I would pass on the other.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is not ideal -- but how do you think the breed started?

Horand Grafrath (originally Hektor Linksrhein) designated founding sire was bred to Brünhild von Grafrath

Grafrath is the name under which von Stephanitz bred so this is his breeding . Look at the breeding - brother to sister who themselves are father to daughter. von der Krone is old old old practical working herding lines - Anton "SO" Eiselen , The German Shepherd

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Maybe you could get the pedigree-people may have some idea of what particular problems may arise then. I would imagine it would amplify if the parents were also inbred to start with.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

The breed "got started" with huge amounts of care and planning, not accidental breedings.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Maybe you could get the pedigree-people may have some idea of what particular problems may arise then. I would imagine it would amplify if the parents were also inbred to start with.
Pedigree was posted: Wade vom Wayward
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

The "oops" part of the breeding is not what bothers me the most. Its the fact the brother and sister have no health clearances, probably because of their age, and nobody knows what might have shown up in the next year with HD anything else.
Oops litters do happen, even with the utmost care and protection. I had an older sister/younger brother. These were Bernese Mountain dogs. The female had come in at 6 months her first heat, 5 months later for her second heat. I always kept them apart, no issues with that. One day I noticed how full she was looking. I counted back and it had been a little over 4 months since her last heat. Hmmm... I thought to myself " could she have come in at 4 months again and actually ovulated and he bred her? I took her in for xrays and sure enough, there were two babies and she was almost full term. I was not going to abort/spay her, she was already well on her way to her Championship. She had two puppies, one was born alive, needed alot of work to keep it alive. The second one was born alive, had one missing ear, missing toes and a huge cleft palet. I had that one euthanized immediately. The other puppy by day two was showing issues, could not nurse, could not move around much, just not good. I euthanized him also, had a necropsy done and his insides were a mess, intestines/organs in the wrong places, rib cage was malformed. Both of these adults went onto their Championships, had beautiful hips, etc. Just a horrible case of genetics gone wrong.
With so many health issues with GSD, I would be more concerned with what might show up in the pups as far as genetic issues.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.