Whidh One? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whidh One?

I know this is my first post, but I have been reading here a lot.
I finally found a breeder that has 5 females to chose from. I have first pick

Your thoughts - right now they are 4 weeks old and I am having them take notes on the personality's etc
Attached Thumbnails
Whidh One?-green_female_4wks_opt.jpg   Whidh One?-pink_and_brown_female_4wks_opt.jpg   Whidh One?-pink_female_4wks_opt.jpg   Whidh One?-red_and_turqoise_female_4wks_opt.jpg   Whidh One?-turqoise_female_4wks_opt.jpg  

POWERSCOL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

all of them look like cute little blk/tans..all look similar in colour..lots of blk which is good. Decision is all yours Good luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

pick on personality and suitability as seen by the breeder - photos are cute - but really - you can't tell anything from a photo!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Two dogs Green and Red_and_turqoise, seem to have the larger broader heads than the others like the sire. He is directly from a German working dog line. The bitch is a bit more refined from a champion US show dog. I can post pictures of them if that would help. Marking wise I prefer a but more of the deep rust color like shows in Turqoise.

Temperament will be very important when I chose. I plan to do some of the aptitude testing such as the ball, holding on the back, check the teeth, etc. Any thoughts on this

If I understand correctly for the teeth the upper jaw should contact the lower inside top of upper to outside bottom or lower.

Thanks again
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have plans for any training or sport? you said you wanted a working dog in your post on another thread....a Am Show cross is not going to have high potential to 'work'.....

Most pups will play with a toy....and depending on when they ate/ slept etc - the 'tests' can be very misleading....

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

As for working, just help with the horses and possibly fun trying out at the local club trials. I do plan on full training starting as a puppy. I'm retired and this will give me something to do.

To me a well trained dog is a happy dog and even happier owner.

I live a ways from the breader an they will meet me half way - about a 3 hour drive for them. I am not sure how this will effect the pupies. I could make a 2 day trip of it for me and see them in their home environment if that is better. Thoughts
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it were me, I think I would want to see them in the home environment.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you haven't seen their home environment, if possible I would make the trip when they hit about 7 weeks old.

While color can be a consideration, keep in mind gsd's as puppies are normally quite dark , as they age, espec black/tans will change dramatically. so what you see now, most likely will not be the coloring as they age.

I have let the breeder pick for me on the last 4 dogs I've bought, telling them my 'wants' and 'unwanted' behaviors/type etc, if you've got a breeder who can peg their puppies and your clear on what it is you want etc, then all else will fall into place.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

You should see the puppies and their parents in the home environment AND those photos don't tell you anything. Puppies change so much from week to week that you can't tell much about what their heads or bodies will look like without seeing them over time and over several week's time. In addition, a puppy with a marginal bite at seven or eight weeks of age might have a perfect bite later in it's development.

The breeder should also pick the puppy and should match what you want in a dog with their knowledge that comes from raising the litter.

I would NEVER meet a breeder away from the litter's home. This is a huge RED flag in terms of a responsible breeder. You are potentially going to have this dog for ten to thirteen years. It needs to be worth the trip to see the litter at their home.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I will be getting pictures each week. The minor problem is weather, there are two mountain ranges between me and the breeder. I hope to get good weather and go as people suggest. I will be posting other pictures and their temperament as they get older.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.