Working vs Show line - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
A dog with excellent temperament should not require a ton of socialization, training, or exercise.

A dog of excellent temperament and correct structure should be able to manage a ton of socialization, training, and or exercise.

A GSD of good character should be able to relax in any situation, taken out of the kennel at 9 months, over to a house with strangers including kids, shouldn't matter, the dog should be just fine. He should not go stir-crazy if he is not walked into the ground before being left for the day. That's insanity. A dog should not require being physically and mentally exhausted every day, to have a reasonable expectation for behavior. A dog should not have to be trained every day, or several times a day to learn basic and advanced commands. And a dog should not be losing steam before you are if you give them age-appropriate amounts of exercise.

If any of the above is true, look at the temperament of the dogs, because a GSD should be able to live in most conditions, with most types of owners, and adjust to the activity levels, and training levels of the owners.

It should not be rocket science.

I am a fan of the West German Showlines. I think they are great all-around dogs. The can go go go, if you want them to, they can lay at your feet and relax. They can be trained to do anything including police and military work. They learn quickly and enjoy good training. You can have them with other critters, people, babies, old people. Just all-around great dogs.

imho, you just described what a gsd was meant to be. great post!!!!
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
imho, you just described what a gsd was meant to be. great post!!!!

Would that be ANY GSD - whatever line they happen to be from?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master Member

There's been a few pictures on here recently of dogs which are working lines crossed with show lines - and they look great Best of both worlds perhaps?
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
There's been a few pictures on here recently of dogs which are working lines crossed with show lines - and they look great Best of both worlds perhaps?
Best of both or worst of both. It can go both ways. I got the latter. Loved the dog for what he was but he was a mess.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh really?? That's a shame
What was the issue with him ? Nervous, weak nerve, high drive and aggressive?

I have Show line dogs and love them to bits, the working line appeals to me from a looks point of view, but I'm not sure if I would get a working line as I don't do any real "work" with my guys. T
hey are pet dogs that go for walks, swim and fetch kongs and do a little bit of fun dog training LOL They are happy with that but I'm not sure a high drive working dog would be content with that. It's the reason I'd never get a Kelpie or a border collie - they NEED to work or they go loopy
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #36 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

In my case the dog had high prey drive, weak nerves and resultant issues with minor dog aggression (we controlled his environment and access), severe east west and was somewhat down in pasterns, roach back, undescended testicles (so he was neutered at no small expense), retained puppy teeth which caused a severe dental misalignment that had to be fixed, perianal fistulas, and food allergies...but he had a lovely black and red coat. He did live to be 11 though and passed away due to hemangiosarcoma.

Neither parent was listed in the PDB but the father was an IPO3 Czech dog KKL1a for life and the dam's mother was a BOB at Crufts and her entire lineage was predominantly West German Show. The dam was a lovely dog by her own right.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.