Working vs Show line - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you want an active, fun, trainable pet then you really can't go wrong with a reputable breeder from either line. If you are interested in protection sports or a working dog you'd have a higher chance of getting a really good, high drive dog in the working lines from personal experience.

Visit breeders and see who you have the best feel for and make sure you undersatnd what "reputable" means (lots of good threads on this). Just be realistic with the breeder as to what you are going to do with the dog so you don't end up with "too much" of a beast. I have a pretty darn high drive 22 month old. He needs a ton of mental challenges and training (physical activity doesn't do it!) and he would not be a good dog for most pet homes....it would be doable, but not sure how much fun. Something to be said for a lower drive dog that still wants to work for you but doesn't NEED it as badly....if that makes sense.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

West German show lines, rule.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

It really depends on what you would like to do with the dog, decide that (or them as the case may be). Then find a reputable breeder of the type that you like - have them pick out a puppy (or other dog) that will best fit your set of requirements.

I.E. if it so happens that you wanted to do both AKC Obedience and Conformation showing - you most definetly would not want a dog from either German WL or SL's. (Statistically that is as you might find an individual dog from either line that could do well in both!).

In that case you would be best suited to find a good breeder who is breeding American GSD's doing well in both areas.

If you wanted a ScH dog, then probably the WL dog would be the best potential source!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #24 (permalink)

Personally, I think you should decide what you want out of your dog and that should make your mind up for you. As has already been mentioned, both working and show line GSD's need a lot of exercise, the difference being a working line will not stop before you.

I recently started attending a local schutzhund club, because my dog had so much drive, and she loves it. I never planned for her to be a working dog, she has both show and working in her pedigree (I wanted diversity for the health benefits), I just wanted an intelligent companion, that I could train well and would be a great pet, but as she is so suited to schutzhund, i thought I owed it to her to do it.

If you are happy to adapt to the needs of your dog, and are prepared for anything, getting either dog would be fine. If you are prepared to give you dog plenty of exercise, but NOT happy to spend upto 15 hours per week working your dog, then a working line might not be best for you.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #25 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think the thing that can't be stressed enough and is being said over and over and over is that if you get any GSD puppy what you first need to look at is the

TIME ELEMENT involved with these puppies.

First and foremost you need look at your lifestyle and family to determine the current free time you can invest on properly raising a GSD puppy. Tons of time to exercise, socialize and our pups REALLY benefit from some type of organized classes.

The next thing is to find a responsible breeder with the type of GSD that you prefer and work with them to get a pup. The best breeders can recommend other breeders if they don't have one currently or feel another line will suit your needs more.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If this breeder is still in consideration Ohio Breeder of AKC German Sheph I would say give them a call , pay them a visit . I liked what I saw and I particularly liked the breeders emphasis of " He has great drive for the work, but he is also very correct. He is extremely trainable."

good strong durable bodies , clearn in mind , stable and well adjusted - look like dogs you can live with easily, not over the top dogs

"West German show lines, rule. " In the west German show ring !!! " just kidding

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 12-28-2012 at 11:53 AM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Personally, I think you should decide what you want out of your dog and that should make your mind up for you. As has already been mentioned, both working and show line GSD's need a lot of exercise, the difference being a working line will not stop before you.
I have not found that to be true at all. I have a working line who is a cuddle bear and always wants to go in before me. I also have a show line who is intense and will not stop. She is ball, ball, ball all the time. I think it depends on the dog not the line. A good breeder or a good rescue will help match the dog to the family.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a working line girl lying quietly on her bed, which is pretty much what she does when indoors. Very calm and well-behaved, easy to live with. Once outdoors, she's running around looking for her ball and will chase it until either she drops dead or you stop throwing, whichever comes first.

She has a lot of drive, and yet she was the "pet" of the litter... I did put a lot of time and training into her when she was young.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thank you very much for all the helpful replies. It will definetly help us reach a decision as to which type of puppy is right for our family. We are located in southern Ohio,I haven't found a whole lot of breeders here.
Mominohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't look in your area, there are several great breeders within a day's drive however. They may not have litters on the ground right now, but making contacts while you learn about the lines may have a pup when you are ready. Really, going about finding a pup that suits what you are looking for should take about 6 mos to a year...or longer. And that wait will be worth it! You may even change your mind every so often as you learn, which makes waiting more beneficial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.