Can a WL GSD have more than one master? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I'll tell you how it is with Keefer. Whenever I'm home, wherever I am, he is. When I'm in the office on my computer he's usually laying right behind my chair, and if not he's somewhere in the room where he can see me. (Just now I turned around and there he was, looking at me. I said "hi, baby" and he immediately got up and came to me. )

If we're in the living room watching TV in the evening he's either on the floor at my feet or across the room where he can see me. In the morning when I'm in the bathroom taking a shower and getting ready for work he's laying in the hall where he can keep an eye on me.

If I get up and walk out of a room he follows me. Every single time. I don't need to say a word or even look at him, he just gets up and comes with me. If he's watching me and I hold out my arms he immediately gets up and comes to me for some love, no matter what he's doing or how tired he is.

When I'm not home he doesn't always hang out where Tom is, he waits for me to come home. He gloms all over Tom for affection, and has been draping himself across his lap for hugs since he was young. I don't allow that, and have never reinforced it with my attention, so he doesn't do it to me. When Tom is laying on the couch he'll go over and lick him all over the face.

But no matter how much he loves Tom, and he clearly does, he loves me more.
Aw that's sweet. Keira doesn't follow just one of us, she kind of checks on both of us all the time. When I shower my chihuahua usually comes and lays in the bathroom with me, I leave the door open and Keira comes in several times sometimes lays in there. But she follows my husband as well. She seems to tell me she needs something more than she does my husband but otherwise it's hard to tell. When I let her out or in she almost never tries to just go through the door she usually waits for me to say ok where as with my husband she sometimes just runs past.

She's only five months so perhaps it takes more time? She was supposed to be my husbands, but sometimes it seems like she's bonded to me instead of him? She doesn't follow like a shadow but I've read that that is typical of female GSDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #22 (permalink)

I noticed with Baron who we had a long ago and our current 8 month old Kaylee both who are true WLGSD have been loyal to only me. It does not matter where I go they are right there with me. When it comes to respect and listening. Both of them worked and listened to me but no one else.

With Kaylee she is very loving at times but she does not listen to anyone else like she does me. Ever since I started using rank drive with her our relationship, training, and work/playing has become amazing. I am number one and she is number two in our partnership. Everyone else is number 3. I have worked with Kaylee to be respectful of my two adult family members in the house and with my sister to.

When it comes to training Kaylee only will do for me. She will protest and be very reluctant to take direction from anyone else. Baron was the same way. He was respectful of other family members but he would take direction only from me for training.

I think it is very true with WL GSDs they are a one person/family type of dog. With some of the dogs that are rescues it might take a while to win them over and earn their trust and respect. Once you earn that everything else falls into place.

With Kaylee since she is all about me I have had my mother do exercises with her to build the bond and raise my mother's rank. With all of the exercises Kaylee has been listening better to her, but the dog still prefers me, lol. I noticed Kaylee's response has improved when my mother gives a command. I think if you put the right methods in action you can achieve duel masters in the dogs eyes. They have their favorite people, but it is possible to have more than one master.
KayleeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISLADY View Post
I am going to look at a 5 month old GSD today. The woman is moving out of state, and says she won't be able to keep him.

What should I look for in a pup this age? My main concern is that he has not been socialized or taken out much, as she said he seemed a little "nervous" around large dogs when he has him out, and of loud noises away from home. As a 5 month old, shouldn't still exhibit wanting to meet people and be inquisitive?
Would those issues be from lack of getting the pup out? Maybe a dumb question, but I had gotten all of my previous dogs as small puppies, so am wondering how much of his behavior is already set, or if it is just lack of socializing the pup.

She said she will bring his "papers", so not sure what that would be. She also stated that his grandfather is World Seiger, Zamp Von Thermodos.
I fail to see the relevance with the original topic but hey! Why not? lol
Is this thread hacking the reason why the thread has been moved from General Information to Choosing a Puppy??

Last edited by RushGSD; 12-23-2012 at 12:47 AM.
RushGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.