Can a WL GSD have more than one master? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVAGSDGuy View Post
I don't know if my dog is a WL dog or not since she is a rescue, but for the longest time whenever my girlfriend would tell her to do something she would always turn her head to me with this "do I have to look" lol. But she eventually got over it and now she listens to her pretty good.
My last dog was like that ... it was hilarious. UNLESS you knew "how" to speak to her in the proper tone, she'd flat out ignore you. You know those dog people that come up at your dog in that high-pitched voice ... omg omg, can I pet your dog? She'd just look at them and sidestep ... as if to say REALLY? Do they have no clue how to say hello properly?
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

My husband has working border collies and the GSDs are mine (I have one WL). I do all the training, grooming, feeding and exercising of my dogs. However, they will listen to him and go with him for a run with him if he wants them too. I am their "special" person though.

The key is to for you both to be consistent in your handling of your dog. If you want the dog to respond well to both of you, then the ideal would be to share the care, training, exercising of your dog.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

I am going to look at a 5 month old GSD today. The woman is moving out of state, and says she won't be able to keep him.

What should I look for in a pup this age? My main concern is that he has not been socialized or taken out much, as she said he seemed a little "nervous" around large dogs when he has him out, and of loud noises away from home. As a 5 month old, shouldn't still exhibit wanting to meet people and be inquisitive?
Would those issues be from lack of getting the pup out? Maybe a dumb question, but I had gotten all of my previous dogs as small puppies, so am wondering how much of his behavior is already set, or if it is just lack of socializing the pup.

She said she will bring his "papers", so not sure what that would be. She also stated that his grandfather is World Seiger, Zamp Von Thermodos.
WISLADY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Five months is still young, have you met the puppy? Keira hasn't been socialized much and she's five months tomorrow, we took her to the dog park and she improved tremendously. She was even compelled to jump into our neighbors car to say hi. =\ so the pup is still young I believe and you can improve anything, also a trainer would be better if you yourself can't. =]

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

As for the actual topic I think that questforfire is right, my husband and I both work with Keira and she responds well to both of us. So much so that I'm not sure who she is bonding to the most?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

I am meeting them in a few hours. Beautiful from photo...red/black. What should I expect this male to weigh...maybe 50-60 pounds, for his age?

She said he is medium to low drive, which is fine with me. I am looking for a dog to train to replace my Service Dog that had to be put down. The SD was a high drive working line, and I loved her, but she was quite a challenge.

I hope to see on the papers from the breeder, if any of the guarantee would transfer. I know he is micro chipped from the breeder and will have limited registration until his hips are checked (which is what she said). Not sure what else to look for, but trying to figure out why she is selling at such a low price, other than she is leaving the state? She told me she paid $1200 for him, and is selling at $550.00.

Does the breeder transfer the name on the microchip when he sells the dog, and now the person who owns the dog should be able to do that?

Last edited by WISLADY; 12-22-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional
WISLADY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm not as experienced with GSDs, Keira is my first but from what I have read 50-60 pounds sounds about right. A female at 5 months averages 40 I believe... Someone else could help you more but I would think meeting the pup would be best. Good luck. =]

Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGSD View Post
But who knows, it could very well happen.
Not necessarily! I've always done all the training, I do the grooming, the vet visits, the feeding, the long hikes, and every single one of our females has been a Daddy's girl. The only dog we've ever had together that lived and breathed for ME has been Keefer.

My bond with Halo is definitely stronger since we've been doing flyball, I assume because we're now have a fun activity to enjoy together. I was always the one who did the training and Tom was always the one who threw the ball for her at the park. Even if I threw it she'd bring it back to him, lol! Halo and I have been to several out of town tournaments where it's just the two of us all weekend - this is our activity that doesn't have anything to do with Tom, and that has definitely changed our relationship.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

I didn't see the bit about the micro chip, I think it depends on what kind of micro chip but you should be able to change everything. We have one for our chihuahua and getting it for Keira, it's used all over the world I guess and we can change it as many times as we need or want. But we live on a military base and its a requirement...

Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
As for the actual topic I think that questforfire is right, my husband and I both work with Keira and she responds well to both of us. So much so that I'm not sure who she is bonding to the most?
I'll tell you how it is with Keefer. Whenever I'm home, wherever I am, he is. When I'm in the office on my computer he's usually laying right behind my chair, and if not he's somewhere in the room where he can see me. (Just now I turned around and there he was, looking at me. I said "hi, baby" and he immediately got up and came to me. )

If we're in the living room watching TV in the evening he's either on the floor at my feet or across the room where he can see me. In the morning when I'm in the bathroom taking a shower and getting ready for work he's laying in the hall where he can keep an eye on me.

If I get up and walk out of a room he follows me. Every single time. I don't need to say a word or even look at him, he just gets up and comes with me. If he's watching me and I hold out my arms he immediately gets up and comes to me for some love, no matter what he's doing or how tired he is.

When I'm not home he doesn't always hang out where Tom is, he waits for me to come home. He gloms all over Tom for affection, and has been draping himself across his lap for hugs since he was young. I don't allow that, and have never reinforced it with my attention, so he doesn't do it to me. When Tom is laying on the couch he'll go over and lick him all over the face.

But no matter how much he loves Tom, and he clearly does, he loves me more.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.