First Time GSD Owner and Working Lines/Schutzhund - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am a first time owner, I have a WL GSD. It's not extremely hard, I've made plenty of mistakes, but so do people that are on their 10th GSD so its not that big of a deal. I do AKC obedience, rally, and now starting agility. I love Schutzhund, I've gone to trials, I've done my research but the reality was that I just didn't have the time to commit to something like that. With the nearest club being an hour away, and the training schedule being very rigorous I knew that I couldn't give up all of Sunday to do that.

I joined a GSD club that focuses on AKC stuff and I'm loving it. I'm definitely one of the more involved people (especially younger people). I've been getting pushed by a few members to try Schutzhund but I know the time commitment and they understand that I just have other things going on in my life currently (mostly work).
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh and we want to know what kind of horses? I have shown/raised welsh ponies and shown hunters..you are in hunter country.so just curious!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Oh and we want to know what kind of horses? I have shown/raised welsh ponies and shown hunters..you are in hunter country.so just curious!
My family breeds Connemaras. Grew up eventing. Did hunter-jumper in college (undergrad) currently horseless in grad school. Was going to bring my best girl with me then saw the price of board around where school is she can stay home for free and is currently leased.
whiferdill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
Welcome to the board! What kind of horses do you have/show???? Where are you in PA? Being a horse person really gives you a good foundation to raise and train a WL GSD I think (have been one myself for most of my life)....

There are working line dogs who are mass bred and more suitable for pets than for training, and there are working line dogs who are bred for such extreme drive that they are hard to live with as a normal dog...the trick is finding that litter that is bred to work, but makes great companion dogs as well because they are solid, stable and not so over the top that they cannot settle.....dogs that are balanced and bred for great temperament first, and working drives a given......I know it seems that I place my pups according to owners goals and temperaments - and it seems that the people all gung ho for work end up not being committed, and the pet people end up wanting to do schutzhund!!! So the litters have to be balanced!

Lee
Family breeds, trains and shows Connemaras. I'm living just outside Philly and going to grad school at the moment.

Connemaras are great because they do everything and will do their best at anything they are pointed at. Also crazy smart. But in the 'often smarter than their owners way.'

I think one of the reasons I got interested in GSDs after being around and meeting some is that they are so versatile and no matter what I want to do with my dog (well almost) there's a high chance of them doing well at it. Remind me of my Connies in that way.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiferdill View Post
My family breeds Connemaras. Grew up eventing. Did hunter-jumper in college (undergrad) currently horseless in grad school. Was going to bring my best girl with me then saw the price of board around where school is she can stay home for free and is currently leased.

Famous connemaras..my sister trained and now has retired Navigator..you know him?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are cool little horses....to bad you aren't in Pittsburgh! I have a Bonjour mare (crossbred) that is an eventing machine....and I don't ride! She carts around pony club kids and gets out to show once in a while - has done real well at every level - from local hunter/jumper to events at the Horse Park....I really cannot ride now with a bum leg from car accident....and can barely train....luckily, my 3 K pups are all with friends on partnerships doing herding and schutzhund!

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Aim high!!! I see a lot of people insist they need a medium drive dog, or a showline instead of a working line dog, but if you want to do all those activities then get the dog for it. Get an active working line with nice drives! You will be fine. My first dog ever was a working line GSD.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think you will be fine You have already had some excellent advice on here, so just want to say - be sure to put photos on when you bring your bundle of fun home
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Famous connemaras..my sister trained and now has retired Navigator..you know him?
Seabornes Navigator? Yep
Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think you'll have any problem with a working line dog. In some ways, energetic, high-drive, hard dogs are easier to train because they WANT a job, they love to work, and the hardness means they are more forgiving of our mistakes. Of course, they can also be challenging because of that same stuff. But if you join a SchH club you will have the support of many other trainers and you should be able to work through whatever you need to.

For your first dog, I'd look for one with rock-solid nerves, medium-high thresholds, and good biddability, as well as drive. I'd avoid anything with a lot of sharpness and low thresholds; those dogs can perform well in sport with the right trainer/handler, but can be hard to manage at home and in public.

Oh, and if you don't know what terms like "hardness", "sharpness", and "thresholds" and mean, please ask.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.