Puppy Colour - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Puppy won't be as dark as dad. The trouble with mom is that white is a recessive masking gene, which means the white is covering up her true genetic color. If you have a pedigree (registered name?) we might be able to look her up and try to determine what her true color possibilities are based on her sire/dams coloring. But either way, that pup is going to be a light colored black and tan saddle back most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Would need to see a better photo of the puppy to compare. Just a cell phone head shot pic isn't going to be that accurate. The pup looks black and tan but how much black we cannot see without seeing the body.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Sometimes picking out the perfect puppy from a litter can be overwhelming, after all, they're all so adorable! But our decision should be based on more than which one has the cutest ears or the best coloring. For me i choose gold/black color as well.
sophia_dave101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy23 View Post
Would you buy a car if was a colour you didnt like?
Would you buy a house if you didnt like the town it was in?
Would you buy a ps3 game if you didnt like the genre?
Would you buy a heavy metal album if your into classical music?

Ive stated in my posts that ive my heart set on this colour and that i understand its more than just colour... but if the breeder is worth their salt and done things right then this puppy will be fine. My question in this thread was will the pup pictured change colour to what i would ideally want from my dog for life? Is this too much to ask?
No one is saying you can not want a certain dog. I am very into working lines and waited for the puppy that suited me best. If you want a certain color, then get that color. The puppy looks like it will lighten up quite a bit. One thing to keep in mind is that the most beautiful colored dog, with dysplastic hips and a nervy temperment, will not be so beautiful! Safe yourself heart ache and make sure that the hips/elbows have been done on the stud and bitch so at least you know basic health is covered. One thing to consider is that white shepherds are NOT considered breed standard, so if a breeder is willing to breed the do anyway, make sure they at least did the health checks.

Color is great, but color, health, and temperment is best
Rosie428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.